SBX - Search With Button

SBX - Forum Post Title

unable to add child records for a parent record (which is in Inactive state)

Microsoft Dynamics CRM Forum

Ahmad Saud asked a question on 16 Sep 2018 8:27 AM
My Badges

Question Status

Verified

dear all

i do have account-restaurant relationship, parent is account, child is restaurant.

when i try to add a new restaurant for an inactive account then i dont see the NEW option.

please check below.

i only see the other options

please help.

thanks,

Goutam Das responded on 16 Sep 2018 9:30 AM
Suggested Answer

Hi Ahmad,

Can you please check at the time of creating relationship between those entities what  relationship behaviour you choose for account and restaurant entity?.

Can you please activate the record and check again.

Seems this is by design you can not add child record  which having parent is inactive when parent is mandatory.

Ravi Kashyap responded on 16 Sep 2018 7:18 PM
Suggested Answer

Hi Ahmad,

This is an expected behaviour i.e. once the record is inactive, you cannot add the records to it however you can still associate the inactive records from your child records i.e. Create a new restaurant from the main menu and select the inactive account records. You might have to change the account looku view while selecting the account on your restaurant entity.

Hope this helps.

Ahmad Saud responded on 21 Sep 2018 11:12 PM
My Badges

dear Goutam

it is the default behavior , i did change nothing.

thanks,

Ahmad Saud responded on 21 Sep 2018 11:13 PM
My Badges

thanks Ravi

i will check and update you.

Ahmad Saud responded on 25 Sep 2018 2:24 AM
My Badges

Hi Ravi

it is did not work, even after changing the view to include inactive records.

thanks,

Abdul Wahab responded on 25 Sep 2018 2:41 AM
My Badges

Hi Ahmad,

Did you resolve your issue? If no than please let me know.

Thanks

Regards,

Abdul

Ravi Kashyap responded on 25 Sep 2018 4:11 AM

Hi Ahmad,

So after changing the view to show inactive record. what happened? You didn't see the records or you see the recorda bit you get some error after adding it?

Abdul Wahab responded on 25 Sep 2018 4:45 AM
My Badges
Suggested Answer

Hi Ahmad,

Did you have a proper security role or privilege?

Thanks

Regards,

Abdul

Ahmad Saud responded on 25 Sep 2018 5:14 AM
My Badges

dear Ravi

simply when i open the parent record (inactive) which i am trying to add a child record for it, then because parent is inactive, then i see the orange bottom banner (Inactive) and the + sign to add the child record is not there.

thanks,

Ahmad Saud responded on 25 Sep 2018 5:15 AM
My Badges

yes, i do, it works fine with the active records, but not the inactive ones.

thanks,

Dynamics 365 Rocker responded on 25 Sep 2018 5:20 AM
My Badges
Suggested Answer

You can not associate inactive records from UI, You can do it from Code.

Abdul Wahab responded on 25 Sep 2018 5:22 AM
My Badges
Suggested Answer

Hi Ahmad,

You are not able to do any thing with inactive record and this is why you are not able to see this plus button on your record. If you want to add or associate child record than you must have to activate your parent record otherwise there is no way to see or work with plus sign.

Thanks

Regards,

Abdul

Ahmad Saud responded on 25 Sep 2018 6:30 AM
My Badges

thanks AW

i know that , but i  though there can be a way to overcome this issue, in my case, the parent record remains inactive until the related opportunity is WON, meanwhile, this parent record will have different child records to be added to it. 

thanks,

Abdul Wahab responded on 25 Sep 2018 6:50 AM
My Badges
Verified Answer

Hi Ahmad,

You have to go on child records than add parent lockups to form and fill them on child records this is the UI approach and this is the only way from UI. Other way is to configure dialog on parent record or build workflow on parent record to do so.

Thanks

Regards,

Abdul

Abdul Wahab responded on 25 Sep 2018 6:50 AM
My Badges
Verified Answer

Hi Ahmad,

You have to go on child records than add parent lockups to form and fill them on child records this is the UI approach and this is the only way from UI. Other way is to configure dialog on parent record or build workflow on parent record to do so.

Thanks

Regards,

Abdul

Goutam Das responded on 16 Sep 2018 9:30 AM
Suggested Answer

Hi Ahmad,

Can you please check at the time of creating relationship between those entities what  relationship behaviour you choose for account and restaurant entity?.

Can you please activate the record and check again.

Seems this is by design you can not add child record  which having parent is inactive when parent is mandatory.

Ravi Kashyap responded on 16 Sep 2018 7:18 PM
Suggested Answer

Hi Ahmad,

This is an expected behaviour i.e. once the record is inactive, you cannot add the records to it however you can still associate the inactive records from your child records i.e. Create a new restaurant from the main menu and select the inactive account records. You might have to change the account looku view while selecting the account on your restaurant entity.

Hope this helps.

Abdul Wahab responded on 25 Sep 2018 4:45 AM
My Badges
Suggested Answer

Hi Ahmad,

Did you have a proper security role or privilege?

Thanks

Regards,

Abdul

Dynamics 365 Rocker responded on 25 Sep 2018 5:20 AM
My Badges
Suggested Answer

You can not associate inactive records from UI, You can do it from Code.

Abdul Wahab responded on 25 Sep 2018 5:22 AM
My Badges
Suggested Answer

Hi Ahmad,

You are not able to do any thing with inactive record and this is why you are not able to see this plus button on your record. If you want to add or associate child record than you must have to activate your parent record otherwise there is no way to see or work with plus sign.

Thanks

Regards,

Abdul

SBX - Two Col Forum

SBX - Migrated JS