Notifications

Announcements

No record found.

Microsoft Dynamics AX forum
Answered

Dimension values

Posted on by 2,600

Hi ,

I have configured the database log for the Financial journals and selected the respective fields also. But i did not find any field regarding the dimension changes fields in that table.

Example : User created the General journal  -  

Main account  -  Dep - Costcentre

1000 -  Dep1 - Cost 1

after this user changed the dimension values against the above line  

1000- Dep1 - Cost 2.

Even i have selected the ledger dimension field in the database log table , when i check the database log  report or enquiry it is showing the record ID only against the ledger dimension field but not showing the account number and dimension values.

How to enable the Account number and dimension value changes also for the financial journals in the database log in AX 2012.

I mean which fields i need to select in that database log table ?

• Verified answer
    André Arnaud de Calavon Profile Picture
    André Arnaud de Cal... 288,584 Super User on at
    RE: Dimension values

Hi AXERP,

The example related to the first quote:

When you see this combination in AX: "11010-BU1-CC200" it is stored with a record Id on the journal lines.

In fact this means:

Main account : 11010

Business unit: BU1

Cost center:  CC200

When the database log has stored the record Id, with a customization it is possible to create a new form or new controls on the same form to "extract" the data from the record id and display the detailed information.

• axerp Profile Picture
    axerp 2,600 on at

Thank you for the reply,

[quote user="Andre Arnaud de Calavon"]extended view on the database log form to view the "contents" of these record id's.[/quote]

What does it mean ? Could you explain with an example ?

[quote user="Andre Arnaud de Calavon"]I would not touch the standard report as it might have impact on other tables being logged.[/quote]

Sure , i would follow your suggestion.

• André Arnaud de Calavon Profile Picture

Hi AXERP,

As the database log is a general feature, I would suggest to create a new report or extended view on the database log form to view the "contents" of these record id's.

I would not touch the standard report as it might have impact on other tables being logged.

• axerp Profile Picture
    axerp 2,600 on at

Thank you for the reply Andre ,

So we need to modify the Database log report to get the main account code and dimension values  in AX 2012 to get the expected results with the help of Developer.

Am i correct to modify the Database log report ?

else please tell me which report need to modify ?

Hi AXERP,

The whitepaper mentioned in my previous reply is called "Implementing the Account and Financial Dimensions Framework for Microsoft Dynamics AX 2012 Applications". You can download it here: www.microsoft.com/.../details.aspx.

In this case you will need a developer to help you.

• axerp Profile Picture
    axerp 2,600 on at

Thank you for the reply Andre ,

Still i am not clear that i need to do to view the main account and dimension values instead of the record iD in the database log report / form .

Could you bit explain exactly what i need to do ?

Could you share me whitepaper URL ?

You mean to say that we need to take the developer help or as a end user can i do from my end ?

Hi  AXERP,

Indeed only the record id's are logged, as mentioned in my previous reply.

You can download a whitepaper which contains the datamodels at the end. This could help you.

The LedgerDimension has a reference to the record id of the table DimensionAttributeValueCombination.

The DefaultDimension has a reference to the record id of the table DimensionAttributeValueSet

When you really want to log the changes on the journal line, the data models can help you to build additional functionality where this record id is translated to the main account and dimensions.

• axerp Profile Picture
    axerp 2,600 on at

Thank you Andre for the reply,

As i said i have selected the ledger dimension in the database log table , but it is not showing the Main account No and dimension vlaues in the database log enquiry form and report  in Ax 2012 .

Against the Ledger dimension field it is showing as  21456789326 ( porbably record ID ).

Then how to find out the main account and dimension values .

Please do test from your end also .

• Suggested answer

Hi AXERP,

The dimensions and values are stored in several AX tables. Only reference fields with a record id are stored in the Journal lines.

- LedgerDimension (contains main account and dimensions)

- DefaultDimension  (contains dimensions when the account type is not Ledger)

- OffsetLedgerDimension

- OffsetDefaultDimension

So you can only track these changes as the underlying table structure is not always changed in case you select a combination of main account and dimensions which was used before.

Helpful resources

Quick Links

Replay now available! Dynamics 365 Community Call (CRM Edition)

Catch up on the first D365 Community Call held on 7/10

Community Spotlight of the Month

Kudos to Saurav Dhyani!

Congratulations to the June Top 10 community leaders!

These stars go above and beyond . . .

Leaderboard

André Arnaud de Cal... 288,584 Super User

Martin Dráb Profile Picture

Martin Dráb 225,864 Super User

nmaenpaa Profile Picture

nmaenpaa 101,148

Leaderboard

Featured topics

Product updates

Dynamics 365 release plans