Skip to main content

Notifications

Announcements

No record found.

Business Central forum
Suggested answer

Basic user permission sets

Posted on by 4
I am working on permission sets that I will be applying via Security Groups.

I want to start with a blank canvas so no-one can access anything. Then record each separate function into a suit of Permission Sets and assign the relevant Sets to the relevant Security Groups.

I read about SYSTEM APP - BASIC allowing users to log on, but not have Role Centre access, so I created a Role Centre Set, granting access to our relevant Role Centres and "Including" SYSTEM APP - BASIC. All good so far...

My test user already has AUTOMATE - EXEC, EXCEL EXPORT ACTION, LOCAL and LOGIN rights and is a member of a Security Group that grants my created Role Centre Permission Set.

Now, I started to create a General Journal Posting Permission Set, through Recording. I made sure to go into the relevant drop down fields (GL Code, Cost Centre etc) so I accessed those tables. I even did preview posting before posting. I thought I'd covered all possibilities.

But when I tried to preview post a journal, using my test user, I had a permission error accessing Table Data 700 Error Message and 701 Error Message Register. I added each required permission until I got the error messages showing what was wrong with my journal.

Now, having done that, I have a Permission Set for General Journals that incudes the various Error Message access rights. However, each different Permission Set I create going forward will need to include those as well, so any user that does not have rights to post General Journals can still see error messages if they occur.

What I really need is a Permission Set to give me all of the "system" Tables/Table Data/Codeunits/Pages etc but no access to any "data". By "system", I mean login rights, error messages, Personalise etc. I can then grant all users access to that Set, knowing that any errors etc will be viewable by all.

I have gone through a lot of the System Permission Sets looking for one that would give me what I want. The closest I got was D365 BASIC, but this allowed viewing of Chart of Accounts, Items, Vendors etc which I would like to restrict.

Can anyone advise how this can be achieved?
  • Suggested answer
    Jun Wang Profile Picture
    Jun Wang 5,408 Super User on at
    for basic user permission to start with, you could check out the one below.
    then you could create a customized permission set by  excluding individual tables, pages, code unit etc.

Jun 

• Suggested answer
    YUN ZHU Profile Picture
    YUN ZHU 63,265 Super User on at
    I personally do not recommend doing this, because Microsoft will add some features and UI changes with each upgrade. If you do this, you must retest each version, otherwise it will cause permission errors.
    I suggest reverse control, such as which functions need to be disabled.
    Dynamics 365 Business Central: Permission Exclusion (Exclude in Permission Set)

Hope this helps.
    Thanks.
    ZHU
  • Suggested answer
    Valentin Castravet Profile Picture
    Valentin Castravet 6,529 Super User on at
    There is no quick way of doing that nor is there an out of the box permission set that can do that. You can either create a new permission set from scratch, or take the Basic permission set and use the exclude functionality to exclude things such as the chart of accounts, items, vendors, etc.

• Suggested answer
    gdrenteria Profile Picture
    gdrenteria 4,456 Super User on at

Helpful resources

Quick Links

First Dynamics 365 Community Call (CRM Edition)

Don't miss the first D365 Community Call on 7/10!

Community Spotlight of the Month

Kudos to Saurav Dhyani!

Congratulations to the June Top 10 community leaders!

These stars go above and beyond . . .

Leaderboard

André Arnaud de Calavon Profile Picture

André Arnaud de Cal... 285,407 Super User

Martin Dráb Profile Picture

Martin Dráb 225,446 Super User

nmaenpaa Profile Picture

nmaenpaa 101,148

Leaderboard

Featured topics

Product updates

Dynamics 365 release plans