Skip to main content

Notifications

Announcements

No record found.

Customer Insights - Journeys forum
Unanswered

Segment query and how to remove duplicate emails at the segment create phase

Posted on by 2,068
So our database a quite a few contacts with the same email address. Whenever we create a segment it brings in those duplicates.

I had a look at the msdynmkt_segmentdefinition table and there seems to be a query column that converts whatever you put into the segment builder into this specific query language.

My question would be is there a way to remove contacts with duplicate contacts so that we can get a accurate count of how many distinct email addresses are in a segment. This can be either out of the box or potentially programmatically using whatever that query language is being used.

I know there a feature switch that allows the journey to dedupe the contacts automatically when going through a journey but what I'm after is the ability to dedupe at the segment creation level so that we get an accurate count of exactly how many people will be getting a email for example in journey.
Categories:
  • MikeC282 Profile Picture
    MikeC282 2,068 on at
    Thanks @Fiona! I had a read and not sure how that is different from this feature switch that's already available. I turned it on and it dedupes the emails during send.

The way that article is written is quite vague.

• Fiona_Tiernan Profile Picture
    Fiona_Tiernan 256 on at
    Hi Mike,

There is a feature that I believe is due to become generally available in September, to prevent sending duplicate emails to shared email addresses.

You can read more about that feature here > https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/dynamics365/release-plan/2024wave1/customer-insights/dynamics365-customer-insights-journeys/prevent-duplicate-emails-contacts-that-share-email-address

To my knowledge there isn't an easy OOTB way to identify Contacts / Leads with duplicate email addresses at the segment level - at the moment I usually re-build the query in the View filter, export, and then perform a v-look-up to identify these. So I'm looking forward to this feature becoming available!

If this answer was helpful, please consider marking it as verified.

Kind regards,
    Fiona

Helpful resources

Quick Links

Replay now available! Dynamics 365 Community Call (CRM Edition)

Catch up on the first D365 Community Call held on 7/10

Community Spotlight of the Month

Kudos to Saurav Dhyani!

Congratulations to the June Top 10 community leaders!

These stars go above and beyond . . .

Leaderboard

André Arnaud de Calavon Profile Picture

André Arnaud de Cal... 287,696 Super User

Martin Dráb Profile Picture

Martin Dráb 225,490 Super User

nmaenpaa Profile Picture

nmaenpaa 101,148

Leaderboard

Featured topics

Product updates

Dynamics 365 release plans