Notifications

Announcements

No record found.

Microsoft Dynamics NAV forum
Unanswered

Microsoft Dynamics Navision CU29 won't start

Posted on by 5

Hi,

I was wondering if more people are experiencing Nav startup problems when using O365 desktop apps?

Navision won't open and shows an event log error referring to office 365 apps -> when we reïnstall office 365 everything works fine again for a few days.

Is there any known permanent fix for this issue?

Thanks!

• Nilesh Gajjar Profile Picture
    Nilesh Gajjar 135 on at
    RE: Microsoft Dynamics Navision CU29 won't start

Issue Solved

=========

Below Solution

Please try the below mitigation steps:

1. Do an online repair of the Office 365, as this will correct the security setting of these DLL after the update was done.

2. Doing manually changes to the security settings seems to work as well, but will be reverted after some time as were notified.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\excel.exe in regedit and add value to the (Default) key with C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\root\Office16\Excel.exe.

We do have updated the blog (99+) Windows Client crashes with System.NullReferenceException after Windows Update - Dynamics 365 Business Central Forum Community Forum for the same.

NOTE: PG will only fix NAV 2018 and BC 14.x. Platform hotfix is contained in the upcoming May CUs (ETA 6th May).

All other versions that are out of support or out of mainstream support will not have any out of band hotfix.

===========

community.dynamics.com/.../dynamics-nav-crash-start-sunddenly-in-all-user-pc-windows-10

• RE: Microsoft Dynamics Navision CU29 won't start

Hi Wayne

We still have this issue after Office update yesterday, do you have any news or rumors about an permanent fix ?

• Wayne S Profile Picture
    Wayne S 15 on at

Found another work-around in the MS Forums:-

Microsoft Dynamics NAV won't launch - Microsoft Community

Hi Aaron,

I did not able to post in Microsoft Dynamics Community 365 Forums but found a couple way to temporary fix this issue.

An Online Office Repair will fix this issue temporary

An alternative way is go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\excel.exe in regedit and add value to the (Default) key with C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\root\Office16\Excel.exe.

NAV will able to launch. Both of these are just temporary fix because for some people it will come back after we applied this fix. Still waiting to see if MS will push any hotfix for this.

• Wayne S Profile Picture
    Wayne S 15 on at

Had the same issue today on 50 PCs, but running NAV 2018 CU17.

Removing Office 365 allowed NAV client to start.

Re-installed Office afterwards, and everything was back to normal.

Time consuming, but thanks to finding your post meant I at least knew how to fix it.

When you have that many PCs all running ClickToRun downloads, you miss having a fully downloadable version.

Cheers

Wayne

• Marco Mels Profile Picture
    Marco Mels on at

Hello,

The one million dollar question of course is what the event log error is. Hope you can share this with the community.

Thanks.

• YUN ZHU Profile Picture
    YUN ZHU 64,563 Super User on at

Hi, This is a bit strange, I also have the O365 desktop apps in my test machine, and I installed various versions of NAV and had no problems starting them.

pastedimage1644279697349v1.png

Hope this info will help.

Thanks.

ZHU

Helpful resources

Quick Links

Replay now available! Dynamics 365 Community Call (CRM Edition)

Catch up on the first D365 Community Call held on 7/10

Community Spotlight of the Month

Kudos to Saurav Dhyani!

Congratulations to the June Top 10 community leaders!

These stars go above and beyond . . .

Leaderboard

André Arnaud de Calavon Profile Picture

André Arnaud de Cal... 288,584 Super User

Martin Dráb Profile Picture

Martin Dráb 225,864 Super User

nmaenpaa Profile Picture

nmaenpaa 101,148

Leaderboard

Featured topics

Product updates

Dynamics 365 release plans