Skip to main content

Notifications

Announcements

No record found.

Microsoft Dynamics GP forum
Unanswered

Fixed asset depreciation not posting to GL using GP 18.2

Posted on by 75,730

I just upgraded a client from GP 10 to GP 18.2. They ran their first depreciation and nothing is posting to the GL. They are running in parallel and the old version posts just fine. Are there new FA settings since GP 10 that need to be checked?

• Andrea Melroe Profile Picture
    Andrea Melroe 3,437 on at
    RE: Fixed asset depreciation not posting to GL using GP 18.2

Hello Richard,

Here’s a link to a great article (old but still pertinent) that describes what security roles/tasks are associated with specific windows and reports:

docs.microsoft.com/.../how-to-identify-the-security-tasks-and-security-roles-associated-with-a-specific-window-or-report

I checked the Fixed Assets General Ledger Posting window, and it is associated with the FA MANAGER* security role and the ADMIN_FIN_FA02* security task:

3187.FA.JPG

Go ahead and assign that role/task to the problem user. Is he/she able to process the FA to GL Posting process now?

Thank you for using Microsoft Dynamics Communities,

Andrea Melroe

Sr. Technical Advisor

Microsoft Dynamics GP

• Richard Wheeler Profile Picture
    Richard Wheeler 75,730 on at

Andrea, I think this is a security issue. Another user logged in and can see the batch just fine. He posted it and down to the ledger it went. Is there a separate FA security screen now? What rights does a user need to be able to post FA batches?

• Andrea Melroe Profile Picture
    Andrea Melroe 3,437 on at

Hello Richard,

There are a lot of things that changed in Fixed Assets after version 10.0. Some of the larger changes that may affect what's occurring for your client include:

• Fixed Assets Calendar: Now located under Setup >> FA >> Calendar, and not under utilities as it was in version 10.0. Starting in GP 2013 and up, users must define a Calendar ID in association with the calendar, and then assign that calendar to appropriate books in the Book Setup window. Are these things set up for your client in 2018?

• Fixed Assets Posting to GL: Starting in GP 2013, users can save FA batches prior to posting, modify accounts, preview what will be posted, and have access to additional restrictions.

If the calendar is not setup accurately, and/or not assigned to appropriate Book ID’s, not only will your client not be able to post to GL, but they likely weren’t able to depreciate successfully either.

Can you check to verify whether depreciation processed successfully? You can check this in the Financial Detail Inquiry window (Inquiry >> Fixed Assets >> Financial Detail) for an asset that was included in the depreciation.

Does it show depreciation in the appropriate period/year (according to what your client is attempting to interface to GL)?

What specifically is happening when your client attempts to post to GL? Is there an error? Does anything get pulled into the FA to GL Posting window? How are they restricting what’s being interfaced to GL?

Let me know when you can, and I’ll do my best to help!

Thank you for using Microsoft Dynamics Communities,

Andrea Melroe

Sr. Technical Advisor

Microsoft Dynamics GP

Helpful resources

Quick Links

Replay now available! Dynamics 365 Community Call (CRM Edition)

Catch up on the first D365 Community Call held on 7/10

Community Spotlight of the Month

Kudos to Saurav Dhyani!

Congratulations to the June Top 10 community leaders!

These stars go above and beyond . . .

Leaderboard

André Arnaud de Calavon Profile Picture

André Arnaud de Cal... 288,584 Super User

Martin Dráb Profile Picture

Martin Dráb 225,864 Super User

nmaenpaa Profile Picture

nmaenpaa 101,148

Leaderboard

Featured topics

Product updates

Dynamics 365 release plans