Skip to main content

Notifications

Announcements

No record found.

Microsoft Dynamics AX forum
Answered

AX 2012 development workspace freezes : Client consumes memory until crash

Posted on by Microsoft Employee

I have just installed AX 2012 for development on my local machine (Windows 7).  After completing the initialization checklist, I started up AX.  When going into the development environment (<ctrl><shift><w>), the development workspace half opens and then freezes.  Watching the process in task manager, I see the client consuming more and more memory (2 Gig at last count) until it eventually crashes.

All of the latest updates are installed including Service packs and the latest cumulative update for AX 2012.  The event log contained the below error, but I believe it is a result of the client running out of memory.  I have restarted my computer multiple times.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Alan

-------------------------------
The description for Event ID 180 from source Microsoft Dynamics AX cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event:

Microsoft Dynamics AX Business Connector Session 3.

RPC exception 14 occurred in session 3 process is Ax32.exe thread is 7424(User: Admin, ClientType: GUI)
-------------------------------

• Community Member Profile Picture
    Community Member Microsoft Employee on at
    RE: AX 2012 development workspace freezes : Client consumes memory until crash

I had the same problem with a Dell laptop running windows 7.

I removed the Dell security applications (there were three of them) and the problem went away.

Thanks everyone for their help.

Re: AX 2012 development workspace freezes : Client consumes memory until crash

Hi Every One.

I also had the same problem. I have installed the Software Digital Person, there are two ways to solve it. 1 - uninstall the software or 2 - Set the software to not allow requests to add logins in the login screen. Ready for any of the options and AOT is not frozen or consume more memory.

I hope they serve.

regards

Omar Huerta

• Verified answer
    Community Member Profile Picture

Thanks to Microsoft for a speedy resolution to this issue which I would have had no chance of figuring out on my own.  The solution is below.  These tools come pre-loaded on HP laptops.  If you have an HP machine, you may have the same problem.

Cheers,

Alan

------------

Hi Alan,

Thank you for the file. It looks like I found what’s causing the issue:

Image Name: C:\Program Files (x86)\Hewlett-Packard\HP ProtectTools Security Manager\Bin\DpFbView.dll  

Company Name:  DigitalPersona, Inc.

File Description:  DigitalPersona OTS Feedback component

I ran a search through our knowledge bases for this module and found a very similar issue reported for AX 2009: if you open the Dynamics AX client and there open the AOT the memory consumption of the client is growing exponentially till the client is reaching the 2 GB limit of a 32 bit process leading to a crash. This issue has been resolved by removing (renaming) the DpFbView.dll  

Please uninstall, disable or rename the software above, restart your machine and then try to access the development workspace. Let me know how it goes please.

Hi Skaue,

It sounds like our issues could be related, but my issue happens when I try to open the developer workspace.  I can compile the application, compile to CIL, synchronize, etc. without any issues.  After fighting with it for a while now, we have engaged MS to look into it further.  Just last night I provided the support engineer with a memory dump from when the client crashes (4 Gig because it crashes due to running out of memory).

Hopfully I will be able to post good news soon.

Alan

• skaue Profile Picture
    skaue on at

Wow! I'm really impressed by your determination to figure this one out. I had this at first running all on one pretty decent machine (6GB RAM - dual core), but when I tried to do a complete system compile of the RTM, the memory consumption grew above 1GB on both the client and the service. If I remember correctly the client grew beyond 1,5GB. Then it got stuck and I had to kill the processes.

The explanation described in that forum really sounds plausible. I haven't seen any official writing about expected memory consumption for either the client or the service. Requirements states minimum 4GB for server and 2GB for client. That can't be right?

Uninstalled SQL Server. Installed again with minimal configuration. Re-installed AX with minimal configuration.  Installed needed components from the AX Install disk where possible (instead of from the web as I did the first time).

When the AX Developer Client is chewing through memory, I ran Process Explorer.  The active thread is calling "GetAllocCounters".  Also the "#GC Handles" are rising constantly.  The following is a description of what this could mean:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/forums/en-US/clr/thread/61331e3a-0f35-48cc-a9e4-8450a445abb6/

At this point, I don't know what else to try.  I'm going to have to abandon my efforts for now and just develop on the hyper-v for now (without team server).

It's funny that there is a white paper describing how to develop on a single AOS (noting that this is not MS's reccomended configuration for development).  However, there is not a whitepaper on a proper configuration for AX 2012 development.

Update.  I have uninstalled Visual Studio, uninstalled anything other than SQL server updates and installs.  Re-installed AX: client and AOS only.  Still get the same problem.  Next step is to uninstall SQL server entirely and reinstall without the service pack.  I think the service pack is only required if installing reporting or analysis services.

Does anyone from Microsoft review these posts?

I have tried uninstalling components one by one including reinstallation of the client and the AOS.  Still no luck in resolving this issue.  Next step will be to uninstall prerequisite components.

• skaue Profile Picture
    skaue on at

I am experiencing the same problem on my server. I started a system compilation and the client froze for hours, while the memory consumption just grew and grew. Either there is a memory leak, or there is room for optimization.

Update:  Both the client and the AOS are consuming more and more memory, but the client is consuming more.  The memory consumption is exponential.

Helpful resources

Quick Links

Replay now available! Dynamics 365 Community Call (CRM Edition)

Catch up on the first D365 Community Call held on 7/10

Community Spotlight of the Month

Kudos to Saurav Dhyani!

Congratulations to the June Top 10 community leaders!

These stars go above and beyond . . .

Leaderboard

André Arnaud de Calavon Profile Picture

André Arnaud de Cal... 287,696 Super User

Martin Dráb Profile Picture

Martin Dráb 225,490 Super User

nmaenpaa Profile Picture

nmaenpaa 101,148

Leaderboard

Featured topics

Product updates

Dynamics 365 release plans