Skip to main content

Notifications

Announcements

No record found.

Dynamics 365 Community / Forums / Commerce forum / Modern POS offline fun...
Commerce forum
Suggested answer

Modern POS offline functionality

Posted on by 3,801

Hi All,

I am new to D365. I am trying to install/configure MPOS application at one testing machine and also installing "Retail Store Scale Unit" on it.

When I run MPOS application installer it install SQL and one offline channel DB as well.

When I run RSSU installer it also create one channel DB. 

I am confuse between these two DBs what their role is here? both are performing as offline DB? 

Can anybody provide clarification?

• Suggested answer
    Manvendra Singh Profile Picture
    Manvendra Singh 360 on at
    RE: Modern POS offline functionality

Hi Hassan,

RSSU helps you run Cloud POS on premises when there's Internet connection issue, which mean you can access POS on browser within the premises offline.

Where as when you install MPOS application and Offline DB it helps you with that particular Modern POS.

In the both the cases you need Offline DBs to support Offline functionality.

• Suggested answer
    Shafeeque Mohammed Profile Picture
    Shafeeque Mohammed 6,146 Super User on at
    RE: Modern POS offline functionality

If you compare Dynamics 365 vs AX 2012. The DB created while installing the RSSU serves the same purpose as the channel database you install in AX 2012. Which means,  you can have multiple MPOS connecting to the same store database ( installed locally in store). In this architecture, the store will operate even if you lose WAN connectivity to HQ.

If offline DB is installed, the users can still perform certain transactions even if they have lost access to the Retail Server ( RSSU or Azure). If you have 5 POS with offline enabled, all these POS will have DB installed locally on the machine. In AX 2012, offline DB used to fetch the masters from channel Database whereas in Dynamics 365 each  terminal fetches the data directly from D 365 HQ. You can refer my linkedin article for more details on the difference www.linkedin.com/.../async-service-dynamics-365-operations-retail-shafeeque-mohammed

Helpful resources

Quick Links

Replay now available! Dynamics 365 Community Call (CRM Edition)

Catch up on the first D365 Community Call held on 7/10

Community Spotlight of the Month

Kudos to Saurav Dhyani!

Congratulations to the June Top 10 community leaders!

These stars go above and beyond . . .

Leaderboard

André Arnaud de Calavon Profile Picture

André Arnaud de Cal... 288,459 Super User

Martin Dráb Profile Picture

Martin Dráb 225,783 Super User

nmaenpaa Profile Picture

nmaenpaa 101,148

Leaderboard

Featured topics

Product updates

Dynamics 365 release plans