Skip to main content

Notifications

Microsoft Dynamics GP forum
Unanswered

Updated Printer Driver for a Named Printer

editSubscribe (0) ShareShare
ReportReport
Posted on by

On this Troubleshooting Named Printers Issues article, there is this troubleshooting tip:

"3. Has the printer driver been updated manually or automatically (Windows Update) recently? Named Printers settings are stored in binary and are only valid for the printer driver build they were created on. Attempting to use binary data stored in printer settings with an unmatched printer driver can have unpredictable results, including failure to change printer, use of incorrect settings and in the worst case scenario, causing Microsoft Dynamics GP to crash. To fix this, refresh the printer settings; from the Setup Named Printers, select each Printer ID and click on the lookup for the printer and reselect the printer settings and save the Printer ID. "

My question: Is there a way in Dexterity to detect that the printer driver for a named printer has been updated? I would like to detect this condition and then prompt the user to refresh the settings for that named printer.

• Suggested answer
    CU04050027-0 Profile Picture
    CU04050027-0 2 on at
    Updated Printer Driver for a Named Printer

Hey there! I had the same issue recently and stumbled upon this thread while searching for a solution. After some digging, I found a fix that might help you out too. If you suspect that the printer driver for a named printer has been updated, you can use Dexterity to detect this. Once detected, you can prompt the user to refresh the settings for that named printer. Here's how you can do it:

1. Check if the printer driver has been updated manually or automatically (via Windows Update) recently. Check this out for more details.
    2. If it has been updated, you can trigger a prompt to refresh the settings for the named printer.
    3. To refresh the settings, go to Setup Named Printers, select the affected Printer ID, click on the lookup for the printer, reselect the printer settings, and save the Printer ID.

This should help ensure that your settings are up-to-date and prevent any unexpected issues. Hope this solution works for you too!

Helpful resources

Quick Links

Take the Community feedback survey!

Answer this brief 15-question survey about your Community experience…

Demystifying Copilot: Service Edition with Sundar Raghavan

Sundar answers more questions about Copilot for Service...

Dynamics 365 Business Central vs Finance and SCM

Take a look at the key differences between Business Central and…

Leaderboard

Andre Arnaud de Calavon Profile Picture

Andre Arnaud de Cal... 283,375 Super User

Martin Dráb Profile Picture

Martin Dráb 223,308 Super User

nmaenpaa Profile Picture

nmaenpaa 101,140

Featured topics

Product updates

Dynamics 365 release plans