Notifications

Announcements

No record found.

Business Central forum
Suggested answer

Manufacturing- questions

Posted on by 4
Dears,

when I navigate to released production order and change the status to finish it will suggest me an error message /WIP Account is missing in Inventory Posting Setup Location Code: '', Invt. Posting Group Code: FINISHED./

the thing is that I know how to solve it, however I'm not understanding the error. The reason is that I have specified on the work center my warehouse location as well as the machine center which will take it automatically from work center when I Link it. Also, when I start by the firm planned production order already, I have the same location on the line that I have specifies on the work center and machine center, even my raw material. So, why it needs to take the WIP from unspecified location?
Categories:
  • Suggested answer
    Valentin Castravet Profile Picture
    Valentin Castravet 5,246 Super User on at
    Manufacturing- questions
    This is because transactions for capacity costs (work center or machine center) are at a blank location code. Regardless if you set up a location code on the machine or work center, or in the production order. When you post the output of an operation, the system creates the following entries:

DR WIP (this G/L account is taken from the Inventory Posting Setup of the item being produced and location blank -> you don't have this hence the error message)
                     CR Cost of Capacities  (direct costs applied account in the general posting setup for the general product posting group defined on the work center and a blank general business posting group)

Basically, unlike the WIP for components, the WIP of an operation doesn't use a location code. If you post the output of a capacity only (don't post the consumption of any components and don't post the output of any finished good), look at the entries that were created. There will be capacity entries and value entries. Neither have a location code.

• Suggested answer
    Jun Wang Profile Picture
    Jun Wang 4,804 Super User on at
    Manufacturing- questions

An empty location code in the Inventory Posting Setup table serves as a default or catch-all configuration. It's main function is to enable user to post when an entry involves unspecified or shared locations. For example,  a company has multiple manufacturing sites, but some WIP processes are shared across sites or are not location-specific. In this case, a blank location will serve as a catch all location to enable user to complete the posting.

So you could check if your production order is missing location info at header or line level or it involves more than one location so BC is asking for a blank location wip account.

Jun Wang

• Suggested answer
    Ben Baxter Profile Picture
    Ben Baxter 4,115 Super User on at
    Manufacturing- questions
    Does your Production Order Line (not components) have a Location assigned?  This controls where your Finished Good Output will post into.  The system is building WIP entries against that Location that need to be recognized when the Production Order is Finished.  If the Location is blank, you would need to update your Inventory Posting Setup.

Location Code on the Prod. Order Header:

Location Code on the Prod. Order Line:

P.S. I don't think you should ever have a blank Location.  Even if you just have a single Location, it is better to set it up and make Location Mandatory.  Just my 2 cents.

Hope this helps resolve your issue.  If so, please mark it as a Verified Answer to help other forum Users.

Best Regards,
    Ben Baxter
    Accent Software Inc

Helpful resources

Quick Links

Can you answer this forum question?

You could make someone's day!

Community Newsletter - May 2024

Kudos to our community stars!

Community Spotlight of the Month

Kudos to Mohamed Amine Mahmoudi!

Leaderboard