Skip to main content

Notifications

Announcements

No record found.

Business Central forum
Answered

Merge two purchase items to sell as one sales item bundle

Posted on by 10

I am wondering if it would be possible to create variants of a particular sales item which would include another item in it, sort of like a bundle. Let me explain what I mean. So, let's say we are selling a machine which has two variants of power supply (single and three phase). Now, when we purchase the single phase units, they come with an external power supply box which is several hundred dollars. They are visible on the purchase invoices we receive from overseas. When we sell these machines here in the US, we could just indicate the variant of the machine (single or three phase), and then the additional power supply would be automatically taken off the stock but the machine and the box would still be visible as a single item on the sales invoice and have a different price. Is this possible? Or do I have to put two separate items on the invoice? Another possibility is to simply increase the price of the single phase unit by the cost of the power supply box and perhaps not even adding this to our inventory when we are purchasing it. But the ideal scenario would be if we could create two variants of the machine and in case of the single phase units, the power supply box would be automatically taken off the stock and the price would be automatically adjusted and the box would not appear on the invoice and would be an integral part of the machine. What are your thoughts, could this be done?

• Suggested answer
    MahGah Profile Picture
    MahGah 15,419 on at
    RE: Merge two purchase items to sell as one sales item bundle

Hi

These are some idea but I am sure they are more ways to do this

1) Idea 1: use Assembly Item. You can create 2 different assembly items with different assembly BOM then include each lower item in the BOM.  usedynamics.com/.../

2) Idea 2: use variant and one assembly item and change the assembly item BOM in each SO. Something like community.dynamics.com/.../item-variant-assembly-order

3) If your accounting, auditor , inventory is ok with your suggestion about increasing cost and not keeping part in inventory then you can do it. You can use variant just to keep a record for history.

4) As you said 2 different items in the invoice. 

• Suggested answer
    Dallefeld Profile Picture
    Dallefeld 11,423 User Group Leader on at
    RE: Merge two purchase items to sell as one sales item bundle

First, variants are not my favorite because you are not required to select a variant and thus if you have two variants you can get entries for variant 1, variant 2 or no variant.

Second, Assembly to Order would fit everything accept that it does not allow for variants of the item being assembled.

Solution, I think you already identified....two separate items on the invoice would be best.

Under review

Thank you for your reply! To ensure a great experience for everyone, your content is awaiting approval by our Community Managers. Please check back later.

Helpful resources

Quick Links

Anton Venter – Community Spotlight

Kudos to our October Community Star of the month!

Announcing Our 2024 Season 2 Super Users!

A new season of Super Users has arrived, and we are so grateful for the daily…

Dynamics 365 Community Newsletter - September 2024

Check out the latest community news

Leaderboard

André Arnaud de Calavon Profile Picture

André Arnaud de Cal... 290,532 Super User 2024 Season 2

Martin Dráb Profile Picture

Martin Dráb 228,501 Most Valuable Professional

nmaenpaa Profile Picture

nmaenpaa 101,148

Leaderboard

Featured topics

Product updates