Skip to main content

Notifications

Announcements

No record found.

Dynamics 365 Community / Forums / Finance forum / D365FO - How to setup ...
Finance forum
Answered

D365FO - How to setup PDF as option in "Print destination settings"

Posted on by 730

Hi there!

Would you be so kind to advise how to setup printer Print destination settings so that in the Name drop down combo box it would be possible to select option to print to the PDF file. Here is what I have when the PDF option is absent:

3630.PrintDestinationSettings.png

Adobe Reader is not installed. Never worked before in that particular environment.

Many thanks, in advance!

• Suggested answer
    GSK Profile Picture
    GSK 70 on at
    RE: D365FO - How to setup PDF as option in "Print destination settings"

This thread is probably retired by now, but you would install the Document routing agent and then install the Microsoft Print to PDF in the Network printers area. You can then select the PDF printer as any other printer in the Name field.

• Verified answer
    Syed Fasih Profile Picture
    Syed Fasih 2,442 on at

You can check *save in Print Archive* button in the screen option. You can go back to Organization administration > Inquiries> Print archive and then pull out the report from there. It will have the PDF version.

• Mea_ Profile Picture
    Mea_ 60,274 on at

You keep repeating the same. As far as I understand, you need to get pdf, so set printing to file instead of  printer and you won't get any error. If you requirement is different please elaborate it, so we can help you.

• MarinaAX Profile Picture
    MarinaAX 730 on at

Hi Ievgen,

Probably, there is nothing wrong with printing to file, but our developer refuses to present steady result if the Name does not contain any printer - physical or Print to PDF. He is not happy with the error message "A valid printer must be selected. Please choose a printer name in the 'Name' box."(5) which appears when you click on OK (4) in the screenshot, despite there is something in Commercial invoice \ Original <Default>.

7651.Print-management-error.png

So, I have no other options except configuring the Microsoft Print to PDF option or code myself, or look for another project/workplace :)

• Mea_ Profile Picture
    Mea_ 60,274 on at

So what is wrong with printing to a file ?

• MarinaAX Profile Picture
    MarinaAX 730 on at

Thank you very much for your advise, Ievgen! Highly appreciate it!

In https://ax4erp.blogspot.com/2017/01/print-multiple-purchase-orders-from-ax.html I noticed it is possible somehow to set up the printer to Microsoft Print to PDF and I would highly appreciate if you advise me how to configure it, please. Here is how the desired functionality looks like:

3343.4186.Print-management.png

This functionality is necessary, because I set it up in the DEV environment which is not allowed to use any hardware printers and as a result we can't take advantage any other Printer options. And there is no any printers, then D365 does not save Print destination settings with the error: "A valid printer must be selected. Please choose a printer name in the 'Name' box."

Many thanks for your help, in advance!

• Verified answer
    Mea_ Profile Picture
    Mea_ 60,274 on at

Hi MarinaAX,

If you want to print to PDF file you need to select "File" destination, not printer, then you can select file type and file name. If you want to print to the printer you need to install document routing agent on a local PC and do a setup to expose network printers to AX  docs.microsoft.com/.../install-document-routing-agent

Helpful resources

Quick Links

Replay now available! Dynamics 365 Community Call (CRM Edition)

Catch up on the first D365 Community Call held on 7/10

Community Spotlight of the Month

Kudos to Saurav Dhyani!

Congratulations to the June Top 10 community leaders!

These stars go above and beyond . . .

Leaderboard

André Arnaud de Calavon Profile Picture

André Arnaud de Cal... 287,696 Super User

Martin Dráb Profile Picture

Martin Dráb 225,490 Super User

nmaenpaa Profile Picture

nmaenpaa 101,148

Leaderboard

Featured topics

Product updates

Dynamics 365 release plans