Announcements

Microsoft Dynamics AX forum
Answered

Vendor Invoice Validation Before Workflow Approval

editSubscribe (0) ShareShare
ReportReport
Posted on by

Hello,

My company is experiencing an inconvenience in the vendor invoice workflow process.  Our AP clerk creates the invoices and submit them to workflow.  Workflow will send the invoice to another user for approval.  The user approves the invoice and then workflow posts the invoice.  During the posting process, several validations occur in \Classes\PurchInvoiceJournalCreate\Check.  If any of these fail, the workflow stops with an error.  The AP clerk does what is necessary to resolve the validation issues and then submits the invoice again.  This goes back to the other user for approval.  At this time, the approving user is either (a) confused if we are purchasing the same materials again or (b) annoyed that they have to go review and approve the same invoice that they already approved.  To improve the quality of life for our vendor invoice workflow process, my company is suggesting that we add the validation checks which occur during the invoice posting process prior to the approval so that if a validation check fails then the submitting user can address it before it goes to the approving user.  

Does anyone see any problems with this approach?  I believe an invoice could get past the validation prior to approval and fail the validation at posting time for several reasons but a large number of the errors that we see would be caught by this.  I'm looking for suggestions on whether there is any problem adding the invoice posting validations prior to the approval.  I'm not sure exactly how I'll do this yet.  My thought is to add a new automated task to the workflow to call my custom validation and somehow trigger the PurchInvoiceJournalCreate\Check logic.  Throwing an exception to stop the workflow if the validation fails or allowing the workflow to continue on to the approval process if the validations are successful.  Does anyone see a flaw with this approach?  

• Natascja Profile Picture
    Natascja 35 on at
    RE: Vendor Invoice Validation Before Workflow Approval

Hi Brawndo, were you able to add the validation check to the workflow as I would be keen to do the same thing in our invoice approval workflow so that if the invoice is a duplicate it will be stopped before going through the approval workflow. Currently only gets spotted on posting or if the user remembers to run validation before submitting to workflow.

Many thanks

Natascja

• Greg's Mom Profile Picture
    Greg's Mom on at

Thanks, Ludwig!  I wanted to make sure this is not uncommon and that I'm not going down the wrong path.  I appreciate your feedback.

• Verified answer
    Ludwig Reinhard Profile Picture
    Ludwig Reinhard Microsoft Employee on at

Hello Bawndo,

What you describe is a commonly experienced issue with this workflow. Many companies/partner adjust the validation as you describe it often at the time the workflow is submitted but before any workflow task gets executed to get a direct feedback whether something is wrong for example with the findim combinations selected before anybody starts working on the different workflow tasks.

Best regards,

Ludwig

Helpful resources

Quick Links

Take the Community feedback survey!

Answer this brief 15-question survey about your Community experience…

Demystifying Copilot: Service Edition with Sundar Raghavan

Sundar answers more questions about Copilot for Service...

Dynamics 365 Business Central vs Finance and SCM

Take a look at the key differences between Business Central and…

Leaderboard

Andre Arnaud de Calavon Profile Picture

Andre Arnaud de Cal... 283,318 Super User

Martin Dráb Profile Picture

Martin Dráb 223,037 Super User

nmaenpaa Profile Picture

nmaenpaa 101,140

Featured topics

Product updates

Dynamics 365 release plans