Skip to main content

Notifications

Announcements

No record found.

Customer Insights - Journeys forum
Suggested answer

How to create segment based on a marketing list members

Posted on by 35

Could anyone provide some help regarding D365 for marketing segment creation?

We have a marketing list named "test" and we need to create a segment in d365 for marketing and the segment should include all those contacts which are list member of the marketing list named "test". So if the marketing list contains 10 contact the segment query should return those same 10 contact.

We cannot figure how this segment should be created and what would the segment designer query look like.   

Categories:
  • Suchita Profile Picture
    Suchita 20 on at
    RE: How to create segment based on a marketing list members

Hi Christian

The dynamic segment members did not reflect for 3-4 hours as per the dynamic Marketing List. Then tried Static list, it worked pretty quickly. Then added custom object in sync and used the custom object field on the Segment directly. It worked well. 

Regards,

Suchita

• RE: How to create segment based on a marketing list members

Hello Suchita,

the segment calculation is not instantaneous. It takes a bit of time until the information that a contact is a segment member is transmitted into the marketing analytical service and then the segment is being recalculated. But after a while the expected members should show up after some time in the segment.

I would expect that your segment is up to date by now.

• Suchita Profile Picture
    Suchita 20 on at

Hi Megan, Mika , I am doing the similar thing for my client. The Marketing List is showing data, but the segment is not showing Members. Does it take time for Segment to get refreshed as per Marketing List. I have tried stopping it and go live, couple of times. But did not work. Any advice?

• Mika Johannes Profile Picture
    Mika Johannes 35 on at

Hi Megan,

I can confirm that nobody else haven´t been added to this marketing list. I will create a support request and hopefully get help from them to solve this problem. Thanks for the help.

• megcda Profile Picture
    megcda 2,192 on at

Hi Mika,

So with using a Marketing List in a Segment, if you continue to add members to that Marketing List, they will also get added to the Segment.  If you can confirm that nobody else added more members to your Marketing List, then I would suggest opening a support request because something else is going on with your system that would require investigation.   I can confirm that when I create a Marketing List and use it in a Segment, it goes only to those who were initially on my list and then those who I add later.

Thanks

Megan

Mika Johannes 35 on at

Hi Megan,

I did ”go live” with this segment and the segment includes all those contacts which are also member of the marketing list, but in this segment there are also some contacts that should not be in this segment member, because they are not members of the marketing list either.

• megcda Profile Picture
    megcda 2,192 on at

Hi Mika,

So Estimated Segment Size is just that always, estimated.  Regardless of whether the segment is live or not.  The key thing is, when you use the segment in the journey, are you seeing all of the members you expect to see sent email/newsletter/etc. in that journey?

Thanks,

Megan

Mika Johannes 35 on at

Trie to go live with the segment and now the amount is different, but still not showing the right amount. There are some contacts that are not members of that marketing list. So in my opinion either the segment query is wrong or there is a bug in this feature.

Mika Johannes 35 on at

Hi Megan,

Thank you very much for the help and time. That is exactly how we tried also, but when pressing the button "Get estimated segment size" we get "est. result" 100, but the marketing list contains only 50 member. I read somewhere that estimated segment size could show wrong amount and when segment go live, it show the right amount, which in this case should be 50 contact. So could this be the reason it show us the wrong amount and we should just go live and check what´s the amount after going live?

• Suggested answer
    megcda Profile Picture
    megcda 2,192 on at

Hi Mika,

So from Dynamics 365>Marketing>Marketing Lists  I created a static Marketing List for Contacts called "CEOSummit" which users can continue to add contacts to as necessary.

MLSegment2.png

Then go to Marketing>Segments>New and created a dynamic Segment called "CEOSummitTest"

MLSegment2.png

Click the Definition tab, click the "X" to remove the default Contact query and select Marketing List Name is CEOSummit, click And and then select Intersect Relationship between Marketing List and Contact and select *All, click And and then select Contact and select *All.  

MLSegment3.png

Then you can check for errors and make the segment Live.

Good luck!

Megan

Please mark as Verified if this answers your question!

Helpful resources

Quick Links

Replay now available! Dynamics 365 Community Call (CRM Edition)

Catch up on the first D365 Community Call held on 7/10

Community Spotlight of the Month

Kudos to Saurav Dhyani!

Congratulations to the June Top 10 community leaders!

These stars go above and beyond . . .

Leaderboard

André Arnaud de Calavon Profile Picture

André Arnaud de Cal... 287,986 Super User

Martin Dráb Profile Picture

Martin Dráb 225,588 Super User

nmaenpaa Profile Picture

nmaenpaa 101,148

Leaderboard

Featured topics

Product updates

Dynamics 365 release plans