Notifications

Announcements

No record found.

Project Operations forum
Unanswered

Bulk switching from generic to actual resource in a project

Posted on by Microsoft Employee

Hi all.

Has anyone figured out an easy way to change from generic resources to actual resources in the project view?

Background: We plan to operate with somwhat comprehensive templates for our projects. They are currently built with a generic resources assigned to the tasks. In order to ease the workflow between Project Manager and Resource Manager, we'd like to have the Project Manager change the generic resources to actual resources (people) when planning the project and before requesting those resources. The Project Manager will at this stage already know their team.

It seems plausible to me that there's a simple way of turning a generic resource in the Team tab into an actual resource that has the same role assigned, thus turning the project team from generic to "personal". 

Anyone figure it out or is it simply required that one (1) adds the actual resources to the team 1-1, (2) goes through every single task, remove the generic resource and addding the actual resource, and (3) then removing the generic resources from the team?

• Community Member Profile Picture
    Community Member Microsoft Employee on at
    RE: Bulk switching from generic to actual resource in a project

Quite right on the maturity bit. Hoping it's on a roadmap somewhere.

Anyway, it appears to have worked as I hoped in some respect, and the task actually switched to the actual booking in one of the dummy projects. This has, however, brought another unrelated issue to light. One door opens and another closes.

Thanks for the replies.

• Winters Profile Picture
    Winters 155 on at

Yes, I was hoping for the same however because "tasks" use project for the web which is for me not 100% matured it is lacking some functionality and integration.

• Community Member Profile Picture
    Community Member Microsoft Employee on at

Hi, Winters. Thanks for the reply.

Yeah, that works when it comes to filling a requirement based on a generic resource, and it correctly fills that requirement in the Team tab. The last piece of the puzzle for me, however, is the actual task board in the project plan.

I would assume/hope that filling the requirement with a booking would change the generic resource assigned to an actual task to the newly booked actual resource but it seems like this has to be done manually (for each and every task in the project plan)?

• Winters Profile Picture
    Winters 155 on at

Hi,

I don't know if this will help, but if you go to generic resource and hit the Book button.

Then chose your resource you want to book instead of the generic, after the resource is booked make sure to refresh and it will have replace the Generic resource with a the named resource.  
    pastedimage1613547882701v1.png

pastedimage1613547905611v2.png
    pastedimage1613547981629v3.png

After that make sure to refresh as it will still show the generic resource.
    pastedimage1613548075336v4.png

Hope this helps, in bulk I have not found an easy way.

Helpful resources

Quick Links

Replay now available! Dynamics 365 Community Call (CRM Edition)

Catch up on the first D365 Community Call held on 7/10

Community Spotlight of the Month

Kudos to Saurav Dhyani!

Congratulations to the June Top 10 community leaders!

These stars go above and beyond . . .

Leaderboard

André Arnaud de Calavon Profile Picture

André Arnaud de Cal... 287,914 Super User

Martin Dráb Profile Picture

Martin Dráb 225,549 Super User

nmaenpaa Profile Picture

nmaenpaa 101,148

Leaderboard

Featured topics

Product updates

Dynamics 365 release plans