Notifications

Announcements

No record found.

Microsoft Dynamics CRM forum
Suggested answer

Query data Dynamics CRM on-premise VS dynamics CRM online

Posted on by Microsoft Employee

Objective

Hi, I'm currently working with dynamics CRM on-premise where I'm directly connecting to the SQL server database and fetching data through SQL queries.

Since on-premise features are gonna end-up deprecated soon, I'm planning on using a dynamics CRM online  environment. 

Research

In my research I ended up in the documentation of "Dataverse", I setup a sandbox environment where I can query data through the web API.

However I can't figure out how to access SQL views (or something similar to predefined queries). They are not defined in the API index (or endpoint list as I like to call it).

Looking to implement custom SQL views  in dynamics CRM online

I then read about "savedquery". It seems it used to store a predefined SQL query. I successfully created some and executed them, but it seems some EntityType are not accessible through saved queries...

What can I do?

I want to replace my hundreds of SQL queries I have already written to make them compatible in a dynamics CRM online environment.

Some of those SQL queries are SQL views and I can't seem to rewrite them using fetchxml (language/template used to use saved-queries).

Am I on the right track? Am I clear on what I want to achieve?

I look forward to any advice, thank you.

• Suggested answer
    a33ik Profile Picture
    a33ik 84,313 Super User on at
    RE: Query data Dynamics CRM on-premise VS dynamics CRM online

Unfortunately, you can't create views, stored procedures, or functions. What you can do is to build queries to fetch the data using Select/From/Case statements. Temporary tables are not available as well.

• Community Member Profile Picture
    Community Member Microsoft Employee on at

Can I create custom SQL views or any type of predefined queries to fetch pre-structured data?

I have SQL views using the CASE statement and IF THEN ELSE. Could I replicate those somehow or my only choice is to use the api?

• Suggested answer
    a33ik Profile Picture

That SQL Access is Read-only. In order to perform Create/Update/Delete you will have to use WebApi.

• Community Member Profile Picture
    Community Member Microsoft Employee on at

Any way to enable full permissions to execute CRUD sql queries for dynamics CRM online? I'm using SQL views in my on-premise setup and I can't find a way to replicate those with the provided web-api. I'm not sure if it would be wise to use the web-api for simple update/create/delete request and use SQL to query data with read-only to achieve the behavior as my views, but without views...

• Suggested answer
    a33ik Profile Picture

Hello,

It's possible to use T-SQL to query data from Dataverse. Check this article - docs.microsoft.com/.../dataverse-sql-query

Helpful resources

Quick Links

Replay now available! Dynamics 365 Community Call (CRM Edition)

Catch up on the first D365 Community Call held on 7/10

Community Spotlight of the Month

Kudos to Saurav Dhyani!

Congratulations to the June Top 10 community leaders!

These stars go above and beyond . . .

Leaderboard

André Arnaud de Calavon Profile Picture

André Arnaud de Cal... 288,420 Super User

Martin Dráb Profile Picture

Martin Dráb 225,672 Super User

nmaenpaa Profile Picture

nmaenpaa 101,148

Leaderboard

Featured topics

Product updates

Dynamics 365 release plans