Skip to main content

Notifications

Announcements

No record found.

Microsoft Dynamics AX forum
Unanswered

MRP Planing / Default Order Settings / Min. Order Quantity applied to 'Planned Production Orders' & 'Planned Transfer Orders'

Posted on by Microsoft Employee

As far as I know the minimum batch size for MRP Planned Production orders is set in Item / Default Order Settings / Inventory / Min. Order Quantity. The issues that I have is that MRP applies this same volume to Planned Transfer Orders.

This significantly affects the MRP in both planning & accuracy as per the following example:

- My actual Minimum Production Batch size is 1000 L (this is what is set in the Default Order Settings)
- My actual Minimum Transfer Order volume is 200 L between Warehouse X & Warehouse Y (I don’t know where to place this setting in the Default Order Settings as I have already used the Min. Order Quantity to set the minimum batch size)
- Stock on hand in Warehouse X is 400 L

If I have a demand in Warehouse Y which is being filled from Warehouse X, MRP will create a  Planned Transfer Order of 1000 L as per the Min Order Quantity. As only 400 L is available at Warehouse X, it will then also create a Planned Production Order of 1000 L. This then flows on through to all the raw materials as per the BOM.

The result that I should be getting is a Planned Transfer Order of 200L, simply transferring 200L of the 400L in Warehouse X to Warehouse Y with no additional Planned Production Order

(If I apply the minimum transfer order quantity to the Min Order Quantity field, it will then be correct for the Planned Transfer Orders but not for the Planned Production Order. I realise that you can set the production volume in the BOM, but this does not flow through when running MRP)

• Liese-Marie Heyns Profile Picture
    Liese-Marie Heyns 332 on at
    RE: MRP Planing / Default Order Settings / Min. Order Quantity applied to 'Planned Production Orders' & 'Planned Transfer Orders'

Are the two warehouses at the same site? All I can think of is setting a site specific default order setting?

You will see the default order setting is usually at Rank 0, but you can add a second level. Could you not at the first level have the min order quantity at 1000 L with no default site, and for the Site with Warehouse Y you could set a second level default order setting and set the min order quantity as 200 L.

• Weaveriski Profile Picture
    Weaveriski 23,614 on at
    RE: MRP Planing / Default Order Settings / Min. Order Quantity applied to 'Planned Production Orders' & 'Planned Transfer Orders'

It has been on the enhancement list with Microsoft for many years, it is a known system limitation because "Inventory" covers production and transfer orders. Frustrating I am aware, and a common request. Ultimately users that automate the transfer order manually amend, it depends upon volume of each - transfer movement or production. Pick one to manage manually.

• Community Member Profile Picture
    Community Member Microsoft Employee on at

Hi Krishpra25,

I believe the only way around this is to set up multiple sites and then set the Default Order Settings at a site level (which can be different).

Let me know if you find a better way

regards

Guido

• Community Member Profile Picture
    Community Member Microsoft Employee on at

Hi, have you got solution for this requirement?  I've similar scenario here!

Helpful resources

Quick Links

Can you answer this forum question?

You could make someone's day!

Community Newsletter - May 2024

Kudos to our community stars!

Community Spotlight of the Month

Kudos to Mohamed Amine Mahmoudi!

Leaderboard

André Arnaud de Calavon Profile Picture

André Arnaud de Cal... 283,663 Super User

Martin Dráb Profile Picture