Skip to main content

Notifications

Announcements

No record found.

Microsoft Dynamics AX forum
Answered

Anyone know how to configure clients to connect to a different help server in AX 2012?

Posted on by

The  link on technet is blank. I've tried editing DynamicsHelpViewer.exe.config file in client bin folder. When i run Filemon I see AX client trying to access a non-existent .ini file ("DynamicsHelpViewer.ini").

Just trying to put help files on a different IIS port. But the client doesn't recognize port change. It continues to try and use the default 80 port.

Thanks,

Seth

• Re: Anyone know how to configure clients to connect to a different help server in AX 2012?

Hello Rogerbull,

I would be interested in knowing how this was installed. Which version of IIS are you using ?

In addition, for the x86 issue I refer you to the following URL - support.microsoft.com/.../894435. The issue described in that kb is similar and the solution would be either

a - Update your ASP.NET version

b - Make changes to your IIS to run in 64-bit mode.

Let mw know if you have any further questions.

Thanks !

- Kamath

• RogerBull Profile Picture
    RogerBull 299 on at
    Re: Anyone know how to configure clients to connect to a different help server in AX 2012?

Hi Kamath,

The help server is installed on the same machine as the AOS and the client. I open the help viewer on the same machine as the client.

In the browser, I get: HTTP Error 503. The service is unavailable. (and the Pool enters a stopped state)

In the event log, I get these numerous times:

"The Module DLL 'C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Server Extensions\14\isapi\owssvr.dll' could not be loaded due to a configuration problem. The current configuration only supports loading images built for a x86 processor architecture. The data field contains the error number. To learn more about this issue, including how to troubleshooting this kind of processor architecture mismatch error, see go.microsoft.com/fwlink

AND

"A listener channel for protocol 'HTTP' in worker process '40536' serving application pool 'DAX2012Help - 9640' reported a listener channel failure.  The data field contains the error number."

AND

"Application pool 'DAX2012Help - 9640' is being automatically disabled due to a series of failures in the process(es) serving that application pool."

I then changed the 'Enable 32-bit applications' property for the Application Pool to FALSE, but now in the browser I get:

An unexpected error has occurred. (showing in SharePoint style)

In the event log, I get:

"WebHost failed to process a request.

Sender Information: System.ServiceModel.Activation.HostedHttpRequestAsyncResult/44313942

Exception: System.Web.HttpException: The service '/DAX2012Help/HelpService.svc' does not exist. ---> System.ServiceModel.EndpointNotFoundException: The service '/DAX2012Help/HelpService.svc' does not exist.

at System.ServiceModel.ServiceHostingEnvironment.HostingManager.EnsureServiceAvailable(String normalizedVirtualPath)

at System.ServiceModel.ServiceHostingEnvironment.EnsureServiceAvailableFast(String relativeVirtualPath)

at System.ServiceModel.Activation.HostedHttpRequestAsyncResult.HandleRequest()

at System.ServiceModel.Activation.HostedHttpRequestAsyncResult.BeginRequest()

--- End of inner exception stack trace ---

at System.ServiceModel.AsyncResult.End[TAsyncResult](IAsyncResult result)

at System.ServiceModel.Activation.HostedHttpRequestAsyncResult.End(IAsyncResult result)

Process Name: w3wp

Process ID: 34844"

• Re: Anyone know how to configure clients to connect to a different help server in AX 2012?

Hi Roger,

Few of things to try

1 - Check the network connections to the machine.

2 - Copy and past the URL from System Administration > Setup > Help System Parameters dialog and paste it into your IE and navigate to the page. You should get a page with the supported service definitions.

3 - Repeat step 2 on the local machine (where your help server is installed).

Let me know the error message (if any) that you are getting.

Thanks !

- Kamath

• RogerBull Profile Picture
    RogerBull 299 on at
    Re: Anyone know how to configure clients to connect to a different help server in AX 2012?

Hi Padmanabha,

I tried using the steps you laid out above, but not getting the help working.

I created a new site (and Application Pool) using Sharepoint.

I then installed the Help Server using the new site I just created and changed the Help Parameters in the system as laid out in your answer. When I restart AX and open the Help viewer, I get a "Unable to connect to Help server".

I check the Application Pool in IIS and it gets stopped every time I try and open the help viewer.

Any ideas?

• Verified answer

You need to change the help server URL in the database or write a new one if it is not filled up.

Here are the steps (assuming you are admin or with permission to use the Help System Parameters form).

1. Open AX 2012.

2. Go to System Administration > Setup > Help System Parameters.

3. Enter the URL of the service that you want to use eg http://<computername>:<port number>/DynamicsAX6HelpServer/HelpService.svc. If the Help server is installed on the default port (80, you can ignore the portnumber part of the URL.

4. Restart AX.

Let me know if this works for you.

Have a good one !

Hello,

From a Microsoft point of view, you will need to do the following:

=============================

To enter feedback on the Microsoft Dynamics AX 2012 Beta release:

1 - Sign in to connect.microsoft.com with a valid Live ID.

2 - Paste the following link into your browser window and follow the instructions:  connect.microsoft.com/.../InvitationUse.aspx

3- Click the Feedback link on the left to navigate to the feedback area, and click Submit Feedback to enter the information and log your feedback.  You will need to complete a survey prior to your first feedback submission.  *Which bug form should be selected?

4.  After you create your feedback item you can attach a file to it.  Screen captures are most helpful in illustrating what you've done as well as any error messages.  Attach any relevant log files as well.

NOTICE: Due to this being a Beta release there will be no formal support provided.  Your feedback will be reviewed and you may be contacted by Microsoft if more information is needed regarding your submission.

=============================

Since the product has not yet shipped, we are unable to provide any additional information at this time.  My assumption is that the documentation will be ready by RTM, so we may have to wait until that time to determine more on this issue.

Sorry I couldn't provide more on this.

Regards,

Bill 'Luther' Thompson

Microsoft Online Support Engineer - MBS Dynamics AX Developer Support

=============================================

When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader so that others may learn and benefit from your issue.

=============================================

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Helpful resources

Quick Links

Replay now available! Dynamics 365 Community Call (CRM Edition)

Catch up on the first D365 Community Call held on 7/10

Community Spotlight of the Month

Kudos to Saurav Dhyani!

Congratulations to the June Top 10 community leaders!

These stars go above and beyond . . .

Leaderboard

André Arnaud de Calavon Profile Picture

André Arnaud de Cal... 288,513 Super User

Martin Dráb Profile Picture

Martin Dráb 225,862 Super User

nmaenpaa Profile Picture

nmaenpaa 101,148

Leaderboard

Featured topics

Product updates

Dynamics 365 release plans