Notifications

Announcements

No record found.

Business Central forum
Suggested answer

Access to more sample data to practice configuration packages

Posted on by 185

Hello friends,

I am looking to spend some time figuring out configuration packages this weekend. I have already spent a good amount of time reading documentation and watching YouTube videos to grasp as much information as possible, but I admit, I do not feel confident enough to use this powerful tool to help my coworkers and clients import their data into Business Central. 

I am aware of “Cronus” and able to practice with this data, but ACCESS TO MORE SAMPLE DATA THAT HIGHLIGHTS A DIVERSITY OF CUSTOMER/CLIENT NEEDS is what I’m looking for.

I feel this will help shed light on my weak points and allow me to help customers/clients more efficiently. 

• Suggested answer
    Inge M. Bruvik Profile Picture
    Inge M. Bruvik 32,744 Moderator on at
    RE: Access to more sample data to practice configuration packages
    [quote user="ERPlatanos"]

Hello Omar,

I appreciate your time in this. I have still put "No" as the answer for the responses, but I feel your answer is still very useful. After spending some of my available learning time digging through these resources, I have found the following...

1) Contoso Coffee Company -A few people mentioned this source. Helpful, but it is specific to business central, and the data ready to setup. I am trying to practice IMPORTS, so I can efficiently understand a diversity of client needs when doing this process, and understand what functionalities better suit each client. Another valuable resource, but not what I'm looking for.

2) Importing and creating data by hand - I am trying to save as much time as possible trying to efficiently practice just imports. I immensely appreciate your guidance, but I am aware that I can do these things by hand. I am willing to take guidance if a veteran tells me my best use of time is to practice by hand; however, I have done plenty of OOP development in the past, so I am aware that my learning style requires differing needs. That being said, since there doesn't seem to be data available, I will practice by hand.

3) Companies will give chart of accounts, inventory, customer info, etc in Excel documents, sometimes already with errors and/or confusion on how to move forward. Fake data of these tables in Excel documents is the only thing I'm looking for, as it will force me to see how companies usually provide these tables. My job is to help companies get organized. I do not expect them to have clean data that's ready to use. It seems this just isn't available somewhere. I know when I was in development, people would post repositories to github for others to practice something they learned. If I don't have access that data, I will make it myself over time and would like to share it for others to use. I'm thinking of making a fitness center company, a travel agency, and a restaurant. Advice on where I can share this data would be appreciated.

[/quote]

When it comes to sharing data you can use Github for that. It lets you create free public repositories. 

• Omar K Profile Picture
    Omar K 195 on at

Hi Jake,

Appreciate your reply.

1. What Data to include: This is purely based on customer requirements and needs, In Business Central the minimum is No. Name and the posting groups.
    2. Clean Data provided by Customers: No, most of the times the provided data is bad
      1. Common issues:
        1. Data Types: filling a text in a decimal field.
        2. Exceeding the Maximum Field Length: the mainly happens when the customer copies and pastes the address fields.
        3. Wrong option: If the filed value should be selected from a list, customer may include a value doesn't exist.
        4. Fields validations: Just like having a letter in the phone number field. or a wrong email format in the email field.
    3. Sharing the Data:
      1. I think you can create a post here.
      2. If you like you can write a post and I will share it on my blog under your name of course. here is my blog www.businesscentral.page

This is all the help I can provide :)

Hope it was useful.

• Suggested answer
    ERPlatanos Profile Picture
    ERPlatanos 185 on at

Hello Omar,

I appreciate your time in this. I have still put "No" as the answer for the responses, but I feel your answer is still very useful. After spending some of my available learning time digging through these resources, I have found the following...

1) Contoso Coffee Company -A few people mentioned this source. Helpful, but it is specific to business central, and the data ready to setup. I am trying to practice IMPORTS, so I can efficiently understand a diversity of client needs when doing this process, and understand what functionalities better suit each client. Another valuable resource, but not what I'm looking for.

2) Importing and creating data by hand - I am trying to save as much time as possible trying to efficiently practice just imports. I immensely appreciate your guidance, but I am aware that I can do these things by hand. I am willing to take guidance if a veteran tells me my best use of time is to practice by hand; however, I have done plenty of OOP development in the past, so I am aware that my learning style requires differing needs. That being said, since there doesn't seem to be data available, I will practice by hand.

3) Companies will give chart of accounts, inventory, customer info, etc in Excel documents, sometimes already with errors and/or confusion on how to move forward. Fake data of these tables in Excel documents is the only thing I'm looking for, as it will force me to see how companies usually provide these tables. My job is to help companies get organized. I do not expect them to have clean data that's ready to use. It seems this just isn't available somewhere. I know when I was in development, people would post repositories to github for others to practice something they learned. If I don't have access that data, I will make it myself over time and would like to share it for others to use. I'm thinking of making a fitness center company, a travel agency, and a restaurant. Advice on where I can share this data would be appreciated.

• Omar K Profile Picture
    Omar K 195 on at

Hi Jake,

This is what I would do if I were you, and this is my personal approach.

• I would like to start with a fresh new company with the proper setup is done (Chart of account is included), so to do that here is how (New Company Creation – Business Central Page)
    • After creating the new company, you will have a fresh clean company with the setup so you can import customer, vendors, banks..etc.
    • Here are the fields in general that I recommend to start with - these are the basic and I am almost certain that every customer uses them
      • Customers: (1 Table in the configuration package , Table No. 18)
        • No.
        • Name.
        • Address fields.
        • Payment term (will be created for you).
        • Customer Posting Group & Gen. Bus. Posting Group (will be created for you within the setup. (will be created for you when you create the new company above)
      • Vendors:(1 Table in the configuration package , Table No. 23)
        • No.
        • Name.
        • Address fields.
        • Payment term. (will be created for you)
        • Vendor Posting Group & Gen. Bus. Posting Group (will be created for you when you create the new company above).
      • Bank Accounts: (2 Tables in the configuration package 270 & 277)
        • Bank Account Posing Group.
        • Bank Accounts

Posting Groups are required, Business Central will error without them when you create a transaction.

To answer what are the important fields in the Chart of Account, here they are:

• No.
    • Name.
    • Income/Balance
    • Account Category
    • Account Subcategory
    • Debit/Credit
    • Account Type, for now select "Posting"
    • Set "Blocked" to false.
    • Direct Posting: For control accounts set it to no.

The following fields are important too but you can start without them:

• Gen. Posting Type
    • Gen. Prod. Posting
    • VAT Prod. Posting Group.

The last advice, I would start by looking to a system that you are familiar with (Old System), what are the fields do you need and required for your business? try to add them to the configuration package.

The master files are very in the any ERP or financial system, Customer is a customer and all of them have No. , Name, Credit Limit, Payment Term, addresses... Etc. similar to the G/L Account, No. Name, is it a Balance Sheet account or Profit & Loss? 

Hope this helps.

• ERPlatanos Profile Picture
    ERPlatanos 185 on at

Amit,

Thank you for sharing the website. It looks very valuable, and I have checked out some of the posts. I haven't necessarily found what I'm looking for on this question, but super helpful nonetheless!

Thank you!

• ERPlatanos Profile Picture
    ERPlatanos 185 on at

Omar,

I am simply looking for examples of companies who would benefit from Business Central. I understand data is sensitive, and I would like "demo" data of fake companies. I believe this will help become more aware of customers' needs, so I can also be more efficient at data migrations.

I appreciate your suggestion to start myself with the one Chart of Accounts table, and to remove unneeded fields; however I am unfamiliar with which fields ARE needed, which fields are best practices to have, and which fields are best to leave out. If I saw examples of what fields other companies are using, and which features of BC that they already use, I feel like this would greatly help me move forward. I'm thinking maybe something closer to a "Case Study" like in the MB-800 BC Functional Consultant Exam, if that helps you understand any better.

Still, I appreciate your suggestion, and I will try to make very basic tables for config packages.

Thank you!

• YUN ZHU Profile Picture
    YUN ZHU 69,639 Super User 2024 Season 2 on at

Hi, hope the following helps as well.

How to import Advance Evaluation Data (EXTENDED Package – Complete Sample Data)

https://yzhums.com/11629/

Demo tool and demo data for manufacturing scenarios (Contoso Coffee Demo Dataset)

https://yzhums.com/24156/

Thanks.

ZHU

• Inge M. Bruvik Profile Picture
    Inge M. Bruvik 32,744 Moderator on at

Have you checked out these demo data?

learn.microsoft.com/.../contoso-coffee-intro

• Amit_Sharma Profile Picture
    Amit_Sharma 2,545 on at

Hi,

Refer this website for BC D365 learning.

https://erpconsultors.com/

Regards

Amit Sharma

www.erpconsultors.com

• Suggested answer
    Omar K Profile Picture
    Omar K 195 on at

Hi,

Are you looking for a source to download a sample data to be imported?

If yes, then I suggest to do it yourself and start with one simple table which is the chart of account.

remove the unneeded fields and just keep some of the fields which are important in the General Fasttab in the G/L Card page.

populating that excel should not take much time. and try to import it.

Then can try customers, vendors, General Journals.

Two important tips and tricks:

- When you select the fields, I do recommend to select the "Validate" option, this will reduce the risk.

- When you import the excel file to the configuration package, be sure that the configuration package is already created in Business Central (Yes you can import the excel without a configuration package is created, Like created a configuration package, export to excel, delete the configuration package and then import the excel, It will work but don't do it, as you will lose some existing data).

if I misunderstand your question please explain more so I can have better understanding and help you futher.

Under review

Thank you for your reply! To ensure a great experience for everyone, your content is awaiting approval by our Community Managers. Please check back later.

Helpful resources

Quick Links

Anton Venter – Community Spotlight

Kudos to our October Community Star of the month!

Announcing Our 2024 Season 2 Super Users!

A new season of Super Users has arrived, and we are so grateful for the daily…

Dynamics 365 Community Newsletter - September 2024

Check out the latest community news

Leaderboard

André Arnaud de Calavon Profile Picture

André Arnaud de Cal... 290,524 Super User 2024 Season 2

Martin Dráb Profile Picture

Martin Dráb 228,493 Most Valuable Professional

nmaenpaa Profile Picture

nmaenpaa 101,148

Leaderboard

Featured topics

Product updates