Dynamics 365 Community / Forums / Finance forum / Projects and Sub-Projects
Finance forum
Answered

Projects and Sub-Projects

Posted on by 5

Hello Community,

I have a scenario that I'm running into an issue. I need this scenario to work:

1. Create a Parent Project > To buy the machinery to rent out

2. Create a Sub-Project > To create item requirements for that project so I can send the machinery (setup as an item) to be sent for rental.

2.1 Retun the item with a negative to add it back to inventory

The issue I'm running with is that when using a Project PO to purchase the machinery, it gets sold/consumed to the parent project and when I go try to pick it from the child project is not there. 

Is there another setup that I'm not currently thinking about or missed to achieve the results in steps 1 & 2? I've evaluated the use of Fees at the Sub-project level to account for the Revenue generated and leave the item to be bought at the Parent project level. 

Any inputs are welcome. 

Thank you in advance for your time!

• Suggested answer
    Rahul Mohta Profile Picture
    Rahul Mohta 21,010 on at
    RE: Projects and Sub-Projects

agree with Ludwig on SO and PO

if you are tracking financials/profitability per rental then may be project would be better

• Ludwig Reinhard Profile Picture
    Ludwig Reinhard Microsoft Employee on at

OK.

If you use ordinary purchase and sales orders then you should be fine in my opinion.

Please let us know if there is something left open or unclear / not answered.

Otherwise, please be son kind and verify the answers.

Many thanks and best regards,

Ludwig

• VMVM Profile Picture
    VMVM 5 on at

Thank you all for the response, the rental business process is in its early stage. It is not the main business of the client, therefore I don't think we will be evaluating a 3rd party add on. Will try to purchase those items without a Project attached to them.

• Verified answer
    Ludwig Reinhard Profile Picture
    Ludwig Reinhard Microsoft Employee on at

Hi VMVM,

The consumption of the purchased machinery that you describe is a standard feature that cannot be avoided unless you purchase the machine without a project relationship and simply put it on stock as for any other ordinary purchase of materials.

I have a related question about the rental business scenario that you mentioned.

Do you plan to incorporate this rental business process in the standard application or do you make use of a 3rd party (ISV) add-on?

I am asking this because (a) there are a couple of specialized ISV solutions available for those businesses and (b) the accounting and reporting requirements for rental business processes are rather complex especially if you have to follow international accounting standards.

Best regards,

Ludwig

• Suggested answer
    Christoph Thaler Profile Picture
    Christoph Thaler 5,442 on at

Hi.

If I under your problem correct the issue is that after you registered the item arrival on the parent project you are not able to post da packing slip on the sub project, correct?

If this is the case, please check the project module parameter “item consumption”. There is a setup possible to post the item consumption automatically during the item arrival. So at the end of the arrival process nothing is on stock any more.

Maybe you can change the setup to have the item on stock. So you should be able to deliver it in the sub project.

Best regards

Christoph

Helpful resources

Quick Links

Replay now available! Dynamics 365 Community Call (CRM Edition)

Catch up on the first D365 Community Call held on 7/10

Community Spotlight of the Month

Kudos to Saurav Dhyani!

Congratulations to the June Top 10 community leaders!

These stars go above and beyond . . .

Leaderboard

André Arnaud de Calavon Profile Picture

André Arnaud de Cal... 287,989 Super User

Martin Dráb Profile Picture

Martin Dráb 225,588 Super User

nmaenpaa Profile Picture

nmaenpaa 101,148

Leaderboard

Featured topics

Product updates

Dynamics 365 release plans