Notifications

Announcements

No record found.

Microsoft Dynamics CRM forum
Suggested answer

Connecting an 3rd party HTTP API

Posted on by
Hello,

Can you advise me how to connect to an HTTP API on our D365 env? Upgrading the server to HTTPS is not possible unfortunately.

Thanks.

• Connecting an 3rd party HTTP API
    If I were to architect the solution, I would write a Dataverse plugin in C# to call the API.
    However, I might be biased since I’m a pro-developer by trade.
  • Kh3ldar Profile Picture
    Kh3ldar on at
    If we can somehow drop the VPN requirement is there any other solution besides Power Automate?
  • Connecting an 3rd party HTTP API
    Yes, exactly. That's the problem of using Power Automate or any Dynamics SaaS solution.

From my experience you have a couple of options here using the Microsoft stack, but they all need some work in Azure:
    • Use the Power Platform VNET support, and use that to VPN into your own network.
      https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/power-platform/admin/vnet-support-overview
      Here you can build a Custom Connector or a Dataverse plugin.

• Create an API using API Management, and use it as an in-between API. You can even have it generate a custom connector for you.
      There is a small cost associated with this, but I know this works. 

There are of course more options, but for me to give recommendations I need to look at the overall picture of your integration.

• Kh3ldar Profile Picture
    Kh3ldar on at
    It's on cloud and we also need to use VPN. The server has whitelisted our crm address so we can make a request but CORS is blocking our way. I'm guessing Power Automate will try to connect from various addresses not our crm address and that's another roadblock.
  • Suggested answer
    Hi,
    You should be able to do this in Power Automate, that's what we are doing. 

Edit: If you are using cloud, that is (-:

Otherwise, if on-premise, I'd write a plugin in C#. My knowledge is somewhat limited on on-prem CRM, so I'm not sure if there is a smarter way of doing it.

Under review

Thank you for your reply! To ensure a great experience for everyone, your content is awaiting approval by our Community Managers. Please check back later.

Helpful resources

Quick Links

Anton Venter – Community Spotlight

Kudos to our October Community Star of the month!

Announcing Our 2024 Season 2 Super Users!

A new season of Super Users has arrived, and we are so grateful for the daily…

Leaderboard

André Arnaud de Calavon Profile Picture

André Arnaud de Cal... 290,572 Super User 2024 Season 2

Martin Dráb Profile Picture

Martin Dráb 228,792 Most Valuable Professional

nmaenpaa Profile Picture

nmaenpaa 101,148

Leaderboard

Featured topics

Product updates

Dynamics 365 release plans