Notifications

Announcements

No record found.

Microsoft Dynamics AX forum
Suggested answer

Batch server Vs Debugging X++ code running on Server

Posted on by 1,289

Hi,

We have an AOS server and Batch server separately. This is a development and testing environment. Our batch server is working only when Enable breakpoints to debug x++ running on server is  turned OFF. Enabling this parameter will make AOS restart.

VSDTESTAOS1_5F00_ServerConfig.png

to debug x++ code running on server, I have to turn this ON. for that, I had to stop my colleagues working, save their stuff and enable the parameter which in turn restarts AOS and then i have to do my debugging.

I believe there should be a easier way of handling this?

Lakshmi

• Suggested answer
    Vilmos Kintera Profile Picture
    Vilmos Kintera 46,147 on at
    RE: Batch server Vs Debugging X++ code running on Server

Enabling the flag does require restart indeed.

If the restart is not initiated by you, then it might be a crash. We have noticed that sometimes leftover breakpoints could cause AOS process crash in certain places, thus our way of avoiding this is the following:

- Enable the flag, do not restart AOS instance.

- Stop AX AOS service manually

- Truncate the SysBreakpoints and SysBreakpointList table in SQL Server

- Start the AX AOS service

Alternatively when you want to switch back to non-debugging mode, you could clear the breakpoints list at that time.

Other than the above it implies that you do not have version control in place, so I strongly agree with Martin that you need to have separate developer instances (with proper version control enabled), and also a build/release process of placing code on your Test environment. That way debugging the functionality currently being tested should not interfere with other developers' work.

• Martin Dráb Profile Picture
    Martin Dráb 225,783 Super User on at
    RE: Batch server Vs Debugging X++ code running on Server

If it's a development environment, why don't you keep debugging enabled. Also note that having two AOS servers in a development environment is very unusual, because it complicates deployment and it's not needed from performance perspective.

And having a single environment for both development and testing usually doesn't make a good sense. Development in progress could prevent testers from testing, you already complain about not being able to debug, you wouldn't test deployment and so on.

Helpful resources

Quick Links

Replay now available! Dynamics 365 Community Call (CRM Edition)

Catch up on the first D365 Community Call held on 7/10

Community Spotlight of the Month

Kudos to Saurav Dhyani!

Congratulations to the June Top 10 community leaders!

These stars go above and beyond . . .

Leaderboard

André Arnaud de Calavon Profile Picture

André Arnaud de Cal... 288,459 Super User

Martin Dráb Profile Picture

Martin Dráb 225,783 Super User

nmaenpaa Profile Picture

nmaenpaa 101,148

Leaderboard

Featured topics

Product updates

Dynamics 365 release plans