Skip to main content
Fraud Protection forum
Suggested answer

Sim swap fraud

editSubscribe (0) ShareShare
ReportReport
Posted on by
Hi, as a result of a Sim Swap fraud ( I think) I have lost access to my Microsoft account. Passwords and security questions seem to have been changed. Can you advise me the safest way to go about trying to recover the account?
Attachments
  • Suggested answer
    Sim swap fraud
    I'm sorry to hear about your situation. Losing access to your Microsoft account due to a SIM swap fraud can be concerning. Here's what you can do to try to recover your account safely:
    1. **Immediate Action**: 
       - If you haven't already, contact your mobile service provider to report the SIM swap fraud. They may be able to help you secure your phone number and prevent further unauthorized access.
    2. **Use Account Recovery Options**: 
       - Go to the Microsoft account recovery page: https://account.live.com/acsr.
       - Enter the email address or phone number associated with your Microsoft account.
       - Provide an alternate email address or phone number where Microsoft can contact you.
       - Follow the instructions to verify your identity. This may involve answering security questions, providing details about recent activity on your account, or using any backup email addresses or phone numbers you previously associated with your account.
    3. **Contact Microsoft Support**: 
       - If you're unable to recover your account using the online recovery process, you can contact Microsoft support directly. Visit the Microsoft support page: https://support.microsoft.com/.
       - Look for options to chat with a support agent or request a callback. Explain your situation and provide any relevant details about the fraudulent activity.
       - Microsoft support may ask you to provide additional information or documentation to verify your identity and ownership of the account.
    4. **Update Security Measures**: 
       - Once you regain access to your account, update your password immediately. Choose a strong, unique password that you haven't used elsewhere.
       - Review and update your security settings, such as adding two-factor authentication for an extra layer of protection.
    5. **Monitor Account Activity**: 
       - Regularly monitor your Microsoft account for any unusual activity. Set up alerts if possible to notify you of any login attempts or changes to your account settings.
    6. **Prevent Future Fraud**: 
       - Take steps to safeguard your personal information and accounts from future fraud attempts. This may include being cautious about sharing sensitive information online, using strong and unique passwords, and enabling additional security features where available.
    Remember to stay vigilant and proactive in protecting your accounts and personal information. If you suspect any fraudulent activity, report it to the relevant authorities and take appropriate steps to secure your accounts.

Helpful resources

Quick Links

New Blog Features Released!

Check out the new community blog features for viewers and authors…

Demystifying Copilot with Sundar Raghavan

Sundar explains how Copilot for Service is meant to function separately...

Business Process Guidance Badges and New…

The Microsoft Success by Design is the framework for implementing Dynamics 365…

Leaderboard

Andre Arnaud de Calavon Profile Picture

Andre Arnaud de Cal... 283,266 Super User

Martin Dráb Profile Picture

Martin Dráb 222,987 Super User

nmaenpaa Profile Picture

nmaenpaa 101,140

Featured topics

Product updates

Dynamics 365 release plans