Skip to main content

Notifications

Announcements

No record found.

Business Central forum
Answered

How to import an excel file to Business Central under Chart of Accounts?

Posted on by 90

Is it possible to import an excel file in Chart of Account? I got this excel file that has whole list of Chart of Account from other Business Central and I want to upload this excel file into my Business Central under Chart of Account as well. 

• Suggested answer
    MahGah Profile Picture
    MahGah 15,419 on at
    RE: How to import an excel file to Business Central under Chart of Accounts?

you are welcome. I am surprised all account did not uploaded but your solution will work.

Please Verify the answer if your question has been answered. This helps other forum users.

• anmuriel Profile Picture
    anmuriel 90 on at

Thank you for your advice, MahGah .

I followed how to enable edit function in Chart of Account but the edit function is not visible. Maybe because of the version like what says in the article you shared. 

For the config package method, Yes I downloaded it and uploaded it and nothing happened before. 

I tried to do your suggestion get related tables and now it has been uploaded. 

My problem now is some accounts were not uploaded but the (No.) is there. I'm thinking of manually update the skipped accounts. 

• Suggested answer
    MahGah Profile Picture
    MahGah 15,419 on at

Hi

For Edit in Excel make sure your user has the right permission: cargas.com/.../

For configuration package. Did you download the package first, then update it, and uploaded back?

Also, you need to have all related data to chart of account in the same company, match the data with new company, or decide to not validate the data (not recommended). As you can see below by using Functions -> Get Related Tables in configuration package BC populated many other tables that are link to chart of account. Hence, when you upload chart of account and if you have validation on it checks those table for related info and if it cannot find it you receive that error. 

pastedimage1641302368266v1.png

pastedimage1641302380698v2.png

• anmuriel Profile Picture
    anmuriel 90 on at

Hello All, 

I did try all of your suggestion the edit in excel feature  on the upper right of chart of account is not available so I tried the config package. 

I tried the config method many times but it is still not uploading. Also this is what appeared after few tries of uploading 

pastedimage1641290231944v1.png

• Suggested answer
    YUN ZHU Profile Picture
    YUN ZHU 69,639 Super User 2024 Season 2 on at

Hi, There are two standard methods, Edit in Excel and Configuration Package. You can use the same method as when exporting from other Business Central.

pastedimage1641255568856v1.png

pastedimage1641255599570v2.png

Hope this will help.

Thanks.

ZHU

• Suggested answer
    MahGah Profile Picture
    MahGah 15,419 on at

Hi

Others provided the best out of the box practice here. You also can look into 3rd party apps if you want to

Free app

appsource.microsoft.com/.../PUBID.chasesoftware1583153119945|AID.excel-journal-import|PAPPID.ee3871f6-b8ab-4a26-9e80-04945a36b42e

paid

appsource.microsoft.com/.../PUBID.thetasystemslimited|AID.bc_excel_importer|PAPPID.24466323-aee9-4049-a66d-a1af24466323

• Suggested answer
    JAngle Profile Picture
    JAngle 33,155 on at

If the add-in hasn’t been enabled for usage you can also try a configuration package: docs.microsoft.com/.../admin-how-to-prepare-a-configuration-package

Can help with you as it has assisting features like templates or data mapping

• Suggested answer
    Inge M. Bruvik Profile Picture
    Inge M. Bruvik 32,744 Moderator on at

You can use the edit in excel function.

Find this icon:

pastedimage1641200774778v1.png

In the upper right corner of you chart of accounts page and chose the edit in excel function.

Excel will open with your char of accounts and you can paste the data into that excel sheet and publish it back to Business Central.

Under review

Thank you for your reply! To ensure a great experience for everyone, your content is awaiting approval by our Community Managers. Please check back later.

Helpful resources

Quick Links

Anton Venter – Community Spotlight

Kudos to our October Community Star of the month!

Announcing Our 2024 Season 2 Super Users!

A new season of Super Users has arrived, and we are so grateful for the daily…

Dynamics 365 Community Newsletter - September 2024

Check out the latest community news

Leaderboard

André Arnaud de Calavon Profile Picture

André Arnaud de Cal... 290,524 Super User 2024 Season 2

Martin Dráb Profile Picture

Martin Dráb 228,493 Most Valuable Professional

nmaenpaa Profile Picture

nmaenpaa 101,148

Leaderboard

Featured topics

Product updates