Skip to main content

Notifications

Announcements

No record found.

Dynamics 365 Community / Forums / Finance forum / Import users automatic...
Finance forum
Answered

Import users automatically in D365 F&O from azure AD

Posted on by 174

Hi all,

I want to import users automatically to Dynamics 365 F&O when an user is created in Azure Entra ID(formerly Active directory).

I tried using power automate but seems like it doesn't have a trigger /when user is created in Azure Entra ID/. 

Can somebody guide what could be done for this type of requirement?

Thanks

• lepiej Profile Picture
    lepiej 2 on at
    Hi Jasdeep, 

What solution did you used? I'm intrested in the Group functionality of D365 that you mentioned ealier. The batch job run unfortunatly creates duplicates. Did the solution with sync of groups solved this isseue making the import of users autommaticaly work correctly? 

Kind regards
    Beata 
  • Verified answer
    André Arnaud de Calavon Profile Picture
    André Arnaud de Cal... 288,584 Super User on at
    Hi Jasdeep,

When you are interested in using the standard "Group" functionality in Dynamics 365 F&O for integrations of user roles (and users) you can read my blog to learn more: How to use Azure Active Directory for managing users and security in Dynamics 365 for Finance and Operations - Dynamicspedia. Note that after writing this blog, Microsoft rebranded Azure AD as Entra ID. When you read the blog, you will also learn that users will be created automatically the first time they log in, but with an awkward user ID.
    As mentioned in my blog, there are some disadvantages. Another downside which is not listed, is the fact that publishing Saved views to security roles is not working.

Looking at the disadvantages listed, in the Security and Compliance Studio ISV solution, we can import the users that are part of specific Entra groups before they login the first time, solving the User ID generation problem.
    In addition, there is an option to setup automatic role assignment where the roles will be dynamically assigned to the users in the application, solving the other issues listed in my blog.

You can find more information and request a factsheet on this page: To-Increase-Security and Compliance Studio for Microsoft Dynamics 365
  • JasdeepSingh Profile Picture
    JasdeepSingh 174 on at
    Hi Andre,

Can you please tell me more about the ISV solution and how that would help solve this? 

Thanks
  • JasdeepSingh Profile Picture
    JasdeepSingh 174 on at
    Hi Layan, Ramit, Andre,

Thanks you all for your suggestions.
    I already explored the batch import, but we know that we can't filter out users.

What if during creation of users in Azure AD, we add them to a group say "D365F&O" , Now can we filter this group's users and import in D365?

What about the Group functionality of D365( I already enabled through License configuration)? I know this is used for assigning the roles to a set of users which are part of a group. But There is a Synchronize option too. What if some user is created and added in an existing group from Azure AD which is also imported in D365F&O, would Synchronize group(if scheduled in batch) import the new users added in the group? 

• André Arnaud de Calavon Profile Picture
    André Arnaud de Cal... 288,584 Super User on at
    Hi Jasdeep,

The batch import like mentioned below can indeed import all users from Entra ID, but there is no filter option like Ramit mentioned. At To-Increase, we have an ISV solution with additional features for security and compliance where we can import users that are part of particular groups in Microsoft Entra.
  • Suggested answer
    Ramit Paul Profile Picture
    Ramit Paul 18,485 Super User on at
    What if in your case, the user is created in AD but they wont be part of D365, how you will handle it?

if there is no exception like the above, you can use below solution by the expert of batch import.

• Suggested answer
    Layan Jwei Profile Picture
    Layan Jwei 4,815 Super User on at
    Hi Jasdeep,

Maybe you can use the "batch import"

Go to  System administration > Users > Users -- then click "Batch Import" in the action pane.
    You can define recurrence for it to run each 1 min or 1 hour or 1 day..etc.

So if that would somehow cover your need in a way, then no need to look for power automate.
    I assume not a lot of users gets created in Azure Active directory each day. But if you would like to add them quickly, maybe 1 hour recurrence might be enough

Thanks,
    Layan Jweihan

Helpful resources

Quick Links

Replay now available! Dynamics 365 Community Call (CRM Edition)

Catch up on the first D365 Community Call held on 7/10

Community Spotlight of the Month

Kudos to Saurav Dhyani!

Congratulations to the June Top 10 community leaders!

These stars go above and beyond . . .

Leaderboard

André Arnaud de Calavon Profile Picture

André Arnaud de Cal... 288,584 Super User

Martin Dráb Profile Picture

Martin Dráb 225,864 Super User

nmaenpaa Profile Picture

nmaenpaa 101,148

Leaderboard

Featured topics

Product updates

Dynamics 365 release plans