Skip to main content

Notifications

Microsoft Dynamics GP forum
Answered

eConnect configured with SQL authentication but .NET exception reports Windows authentication is being used

Posted on by Microsoft Employee

I have installed eConnect on my computer. During the installation process, on the SQL Connection Information screen I specified not to add service user to SQL and to use SQL authentication.  The DLLs added during that installation are referred to in the .NET project that I inherited.  When I call the GetEntity method an exception is thrown.  The message of this exception reads "Login failed. The login is from an untrusted domain and cannot be used with Windows authentication."

Could someone help me understand why eConnect is trying to use Windows authentication when it was installed with the SQL authentication option?  Is there something I should be looking for in a config file or something that might override that option?

Thanks in advance for assistance, 

Denise 

• Community Member Profile Picture
    Community Member Microsoft Employee on at
    RE: eConnect configured with SQL authentication but .NET exception reports Windows authentication is being used

Thanks!  Yeah it is a bit confusing.  But I definitely appreciate your time.  Have a great day! :-)

• Verified answer
    RE: eConnect configured with SQL authentication but .NET exception reports Windows authentication is being used

My understanding, going by the eConnect install/admin guide is this:

>> 'eConnect Service User' window

To access the eConnect business objects, the eConnect Runtime Services

requires a user login and password. In addition, the Incoming Service, and

Outgoing Service will use this account. Enter the domain\login and password

credentials for the user account you set up as an eConnect prerequisite.

The account must be a member of the DYNGRP role in the Microsoft Dynamics GP

system and company databases on your Microsoft Dynamics GP SQL Server.

>>'SQL Connection Information' window

Enter the name of your Microsoft Dynamics GP SQL Server. Also enter the

name of the Dynamics GP system database.

Click the type of authentication you want to use. Typically, you can use

Windows Trusted Authentication to connect to your Microsoft Dynamics GP

SQL Server. If your Windows logon account cannot access the Microsoft

Dynamics GP server, use SQL Authentication and specify a SQL user name and

password. Click Next to continue.

You can prevent the install from creating a connection to a SQL Server. If you mark

the Do not add service user to SQL box, the SQL connection is not created. You

might want to click this box when you do not know the SQL Server or the Dynamics

GP system database that you want eConnect to use. For example, you install eConnect in a multitenant environment and you do not know the name of the system database for your tenant.

So, it looks like the 'SQL Connection' information is used to make the connection to the SQL Server during the installation of eConnect, while the 'eConnect Service User' is used to access the eConnect objects and run the service.

The DYNGRP database role gives this account the EXECUTE permissions on the stored procedures which are what eConnect primarily uses, along with SELECT, UPDATE, DELETE and INSERT permissions on GP tables.

Hope this helps, as I agree, it isn't the clearest information.

Thanks

• Community Member Profile Picture
    Community Member Microsoft Employee on at

HI Derek,

I will double-check with our client to ensure the user they gave us has been assigned the DYNGRP database role.  In the meantime, I'd like to step through the installation process I used with you as it sounds like maybe there is an issue there.  

On the eConnect Service User screen, the instructions I was given said to use local machine admin credentials.  So I entered my domain/username and password on this screen.
    eConnect-Installation-_2D00_-eConnect-Service-User-Screen.png

And on the next screen, the SQL Connection Info screen, I checked the "do not add service user to SQL" box and entered the credentials provided by our client (their system holds the GP database).  

eConnect-Installation-_2D00_-SQL-Connection-Information-Screen.png

I would have thought selecting SQL Authentication on this screan meant that eConnect would be using SQL Authentication to connect to the GP database on the client's system.  That's why I was confused when Windows reported that the login was trying to use Windows authentication.  Is that not what that means?

If it is relevant, I have tested using the same credentials used on the SQL Connection Info screen in SQL Server Mgmt Studio.  I connect without issue through there.

Thanks again for your help and thanks in advance for your patience with my followup questions.

Denise

• Suggested answer

eConnect will always use the eConnect service account, which should be a local admin on the eConnect server and SQL Server, if two different servers, as well as be assigned the DYNGRP database role for all GP system and company databases.

When you installed eConnect, choosing SQL Authentication just means you're using the sa credentials to install eConnect, but at the same time, during the install you would've specified a user account to run the service, and that is what eConnect would be using to make the connection to SQL Server.

Check the service account for the eConnect service and see what you have currently running this service.

Thanks

Under review

Thank you for your reply! To ensure a great experience for everyone, your content is awaiting approval by our Community Managers. Please check back later.

Helpful resources

Quick Links

Dynamics 365 Community Update – Sep 16th

Welcome to the next edition of the Community Platform Update. This is a weekly…

Announcing Our 2024 Season 2 Super Users!

A new season of Super Users has arrived, and we are so grateful for the daily…

Dynamics 365 Community Newsletter - September 2024

Check out the latest community news

Leaderboard

André Arnaud de Calavon Profile Picture

André Arnaud de Cal... 290,522 Super User 2024 Season 2

Martin Dráb Profile Picture

Martin Dráb 228,441 Most Valuable Professional

nmaenpaa Profile Picture

nmaenpaa 101,148

Leaderboard

Product updates

Dynamics 365 release plans