Skip to main content

Notifications

Announcements

No record found.

Business Central forum
Suggested answer

Source codes

Posted on by 2
I'm seeking assistance from an expert familiar with Microsoft Dynamics 365 Business Central. Our company has an employee self-service module integrated into the Dynamics 365 Finance module, developed by a Microsoft partner. I'm wondering if our company has the right to request the source code from the Microsoft partner after the project's development and implementation, even if this provision is not specified in the agreement. Is the source code typically considered the property of the Microsoft partner? Additionally, if we decide not to continue with our current partner, can we switch to a new Microsoft partner for services?
Categories:
  • Suggested answer
    Saurav.Dhyani Profile Picture
    Saurav.Dhyani 14,416 User Group Leader on at
    Source codes
    Hi,

If it's not part of your contract (logically it should not) then your partner should give you the source code.

For PTE's you are paying for development so you should have access to source code. I would even suggest asking your partner to use your source control (if you can maintain it in-house) so you have always access to latest source code.

If you get locked with PTE from a partner, it will be nearly impossible to switch partner as even partner cannot access source code. You may lose data if you reach to a point where you have to uninstall the extension and your new partner have to develop it again.

If other customers are reading it, please review your contracts with your partner and make sure you have access to source code as you are paying for development of it.

For Partners, if you are interested in developing a solution for industry then write AppSource apps to prevent your source code. Please don't do it on PTE's. Customers are paying for source code to be developed based on you providing the estimate for development.

Let's go back to history as history never lies. In Dynamics NAV customer database have always the latest code. They always owned the code and just because programming language have changed, we should not change how we deliver our services to our customers.

Regards,
    Saurav Dhyani
  • Suggested answer
    YUN ZHU Profile Picture
    YUN ZHU 63,357 Super User on at
    Source codes
    I agree with Valentin. In Japan, although customers may not understand or do not read the source code, it will still be delivered to customers at the final delivery.
    Of course, some partners are unwilling to share, or if it is stipulated in the contract, local rules shall prevail.

Hope this helps as well.
    Thanks.
    ZHU
  • Matteo Fiocco Profile Picture
    Matteo Fiocco 66 on at
    Source codes

Hey there!

To answer your questions:

1. Requesting Source Code: Generally, the source code is considered the property of the Microsoft partner unless your agreement specifically states otherwise. It's worth asking them, but they might not be obligated to provide it.

2. Switching Partners: Yes, you can switch to a new Microsoft partner for services at any time. Just ensure you have access to all necessary data and documentation to facilitate the transition.

Hope this helps! Feel free to ask if you have more questions.

• Suggested answer
    Valentin Castravet Profile Picture
    Valentin Castravet 6,544 Super User on at
    Source codes
    Most partner's don't specifically include anything in their contracts about the ownership of the code, even though they should. I would say industry standard is that if its a customization specifically built and paid by the customer, then the customer owns the code at the end of the day. So you have the right to request it as in my experience most partners will give you the code if you ask for it. If its an app they sell to multiple customers directly or through the marketplace you don't really have the right to the code. 

And yes you can absolutely switch to a new partner. It happens fairly often if the customer is not happy with their current partner. A lot of my clients came over because they were not happy with their implementation or support from their previous partner. 

Helpful resources

Quick Links

First Dynamics 365 Community Call (CRM Edition)

Don't miss the first D365 Community Call on 7/10!

Community Spotlight of the Month

Kudos to Saurav Dhyani!

Congratulations to the June Top 10 community leaders!

These stars go above and beyond . . .

Leaderboard

André Arnaud de Calavon Profile Picture

André Arnaud de Cal... 285,480 Super User

Martin Dráb Profile Picture

Martin Dráb 225,450 Super User

nmaenpaa Profile Picture

nmaenpaa 101,148

Leaderboard

Featured topics

Product updates

Dynamics 365 release plans