Skip to main content

Notifications

Announcements

No record found.

Dynamics 365 Community / Forums / Sales forum / Workflow process to ge...
Sales forum
Answered

Workflow process to generate a calendar entry that synchronises with Exchange/Outlook calendar

Posted on by Microsoft Employee

I'm building a workflow process in Dynamics 365 triggered by changes to a date/time field in the Opportunity entity - this should create (or update) a [Dynamics] Calendar entry for the user to whom this Opportunity is assigned on the date/time in question, which should then automatically synchronise with the user's Exchange calendar because server side Exchange synchronisation is enabled.

I've hit a brick wall with this having tried every option I can think of - the following aspects work separately, but not the end to end solution:

1. The workflow is triggered as expected, and correctly creates the calendar entry in the Dynamics Calendar;
  2. If I manually create an entry in the Dynamics Calendar it appears in the user's Exchange calendar, so I know the server side synchronisation is working correctly.

However ... calendar entries created by my workflow are not synching to the Exchange calendar.

I'm convinced I must be missing something extremely obvious but can't fathom it!

Categories:
  • Verified answer
    Community Member Profile Picture
    Community Member Microsoft Employee on at
    RE: Workflow process to generate a calendar entry that synchronises with Exchange/Outlook calendar

Resolved this now ... Appointments that are created by a workflow process exist in an "open" state (on our Dynamics instances - not sure if this has anything to do with instance settings) whereas manually created Appointments get a status of "scheduled" - it seems the "open" ones don't get synchronised with Exchange.

I couldn't find any settings / filters to specifically include open Appointments in the synchronisation, so instead I added a step in my workflow to set the Appointment status to "scheduled", which did the trick ...

Helpful resources

Quick Links

Replay now available! Dynamics 365 Community Call (CRM Edition)

Catch up on the first D365 Community Call held on 7/10

Community Spotlight of the Month

Kudos to Saurav Dhyani!

Congratulations to the June Top 10 community leaders!

These stars go above and beyond . . .

Leaderboard

André Arnaud de Calavon Profile Picture

André Arnaud de Cal... 287,696 Super User

Martin Dráb Profile Picture

Martin Dráb 225,490 Super User

nmaenpaa Profile Picture

nmaenpaa 101,148

Leaderboard

Featured topics

Product updates

Dynamics 365 release plans