Notifications

Announcements

No record found.

Business Central forum
Suggested answer

Delete Invoiced Sales Orders - stopped by Warehouse activity

Posted on by 10

Hello All,
I want to run the delete sales orders that have been partially shipped but I first have to remove any warehouse shipments and any pick lines before I can adjust the quantity on the order line to match what was shipped/invoiced. Is there a flag or setting that can be used to stop the warehouse shipment and picking lines form being created for the remaining amount?
i.e.,

Let's say I ship 65 of 100 pcs on a sales order and I want to consider that complete, so I post the Invoice and I then want to run Delete Invoiced Sales Orders.
When I do that - I have to change the qty on the order to match the qty shipped/invoiced but I can't do that until I remove the Whse Shipment and Pick lines that were set up for the outstanding 35.
Is there a setting that would stop the Whse Shipment and Pick lines for the outstanding 35 from being created?
Thanks
  • Suggested answer
    Alfredo_Iorio Profile Picture
    Alfredo_Iorio 1,260 on at
    RE: Delete Invoiced Sales Orders - stopped by Warehouse activity

Hi Guy.

If I read the question correctly, it sems that our colleague uses warehouse shipment and warehouse picks.

In that case, you cannot amend the qty to ship field in the warehouse shipment lines manually.

When you have picks enabled, the Qty To Ship field is controlled by the qty picked which is the quantity registered on the pick lines.

You will get an error saying "the qty to ship must not be greater than 0" if you try to manually change this field because only a registered pick can change it.

pastedimage1664713020088v1.png

In that scenario, we have an order for 100, picked qty 65 and a shipment showing:

Quantity: 100

Pick Qty: 0

Quantity to Ship 0 that cannot be changed manually.

If the warehouse picks 65 and register the pick, the quantity to ship on the warehouse line will change to 65.

Now, if we leave the warehouse shipment pending with an outstanding quantity and we try to change the quantity on the sales order we get an error that stops us from invoicing the quantity shipped

pastedimage1664713197593v2.png

The only way of handling partial shipment is to do this:

1. Register the pick with partial quantity

2. Post the warehouse shipment

3. Delete the warehouse pick with the outstanding quantity to pick

4. Delete the warehouse shipment with the outstanding quantity to pick

5. Re-open the order and change the quantity to match the quantity shipped

6. Post the invoice

It seems that our colleague gets a new warehouse shipment automatically created between point 5 and 6 because if the warehouse shipment was still pending, BC will let the user post the invoice.

Therefore, there must have been development work to automate the creation of a warehouse shipment for the outstanding quantities.

Hope this clarifies 

• Guy McKenzie Profile Picture
    Guy McKenzie 1,330 on at

Apologies Alfredo but your information is incorrect.

When created, a warehouse shipment will automatically populate with the quantity field equalling the full outstanding balance qty of the demand order line.

You can choose to partially ship by amending the qty to ship field. If shipping less than the Quantity field, this will leave a remaining balance on the shipment which will block demand order lines from being edited as described in the original post.

The solution is to delete the shipment line or the entire shipment. If you have finished shipping, it is best practice to delete the shipment as a matter of course in my opinion.

Leaving partially shipped shipments that aren’t going to be shipped either soon or ever is a bad working practice.

• Suggested answer
    Alfredo_Iorio Profile Picture
    Alfredo_Iorio 1,260 on at

It seems that there is a sort of automation in your system that you need to sort first.

Can you clarify: "...I can't do that until I remove the Whse Shipment and Pick lines that were set up for the outstanding 35."

A warehouse shipment cannot be "partially shipped". Therefore, if you can invoice the sales order for those 65 pcs, it means that your warehouse document and the pick note were posted in full with a quantity of 65. As a consequence, no warehouse shipment or picking note should exist anymore and you should be able to change the quantity on the sales order, invoice and delete (and maybe archive) 

The reason why you have a warehouse shipment "created" for the outstanding 35 suggests that you have some development work that creates a warehouse document that you don't need.

• Guy McKenzie Profile Picture
    Guy McKenzie 1,330 on at

As per Kim’s comment, have the warehouse team delete partially shipped shipments.

Ideally the open warehouse shipments list should be a clean work to list and not have lots of legacy incomplete documents in it.

But this does prompt the question of what is the limiting factor in your shipping process?

if the order is for 100 units, why are only 65 being shipped and what input decides whether the balance will be shipped or deleted?

Seems like a significant loss of potential revenue to just accept wholesale short shipping.

• Suggested answer
    Dallefeld Profile Picture
    Dallefeld 11,423 User Group Leader on at

Is there a reason that you are using Warehouse Shipments in the first place?

It seems that the warehouse is not managing the warehouse shipments. On a daily basis what warehouse documents that were processed should be deleted by the warehouse manager. Thus your only requirement is to adjust the order quantity.

I do like Amit's idea of changing the quantity first but unfortunately, it's probably not until the warehouse fulfills the order that you know the quantity.

• Suggested answer
    Amit Baru Profile Picture
    Amit Baru 3,025 on at

Hi,

For that, Change the quantity in Sales Order at the time of posting Warehouse Shipment and standard automatically delete the sales Order when it is invoiced

Regards

Amit Sharma

www.erpconsultors.com

Under review

Thank you for your reply! To ensure a great experience for everyone, your content is awaiting approval by our Community Managers. Please check back later.

Helpful resources

Quick Links

Anton Venter – Community Spotlight

Kudos to our October Community Star of the month!

Announcing Our 2024 Season 2 Super Users!

A new season of Super Users has arrived, and we are so grateful for the daily…

Dynamics 365 Community Newsletter - September 2024

Check out the latest community news

Leaderboard

André Arnaud de Calavon Profile Picture

André Arnaud de Cal... 290,524 Super User 2024 Season 2

Martin Dráb Profile Picture

Martin Dráb 228,493 Most Valuable Professional

nmaenpaa Profile Picture

nmaenpaa 101,148

Leaderboard

Featured topics

Product updates