Announcements

No record found.

Customer Insights - Journeys forum
Suggested answer

Use Form answers in Real Time journeys

Posted on by 25
Hi,

We are transitionning from a competitor automation tool to Customer Insights,
I find it extremely hard to use forms and journeys. I face two problems (on something that used to be really simple), hopefully someone can help:
  • I can't seem to add unmapped fields to my forms
    • i.e When is the best day for you ? Monday 01/01, Tuesday 02/01, ... 
  • I can't seem to use submitted answers in an /if/then/ statement in a journey
    • If answer in the submitted form is Monday 01/01, then send /Monday EMAIL/
    • if answer in the submitted form is Tuesday 02/01, then send /Tuesday EMAIL/
Overall, whith all the changes (outbound, RT, Marketing to Customer Insights, Marketing list to purpose and intent, ...) it's really difficult to know where and how to do certain things. It feels like we're migrating to a tool that has changed once we signed up 😓...

Best regards,
Quentin  
  • SJ-27061422-0 Profile Picture
    SJ-27061422-0 2 on at
    @Rudy, the document in your comment only applies to Outbound Marketing.

What would be the advice to customer using realtime journeys only? It doesn't seem to be best practice to create a custom column to the contact table for every question in a form.
  • michbot Profile Picture
    michbot 14 on at
    Hi Quentin

Can definitely relate to your pain, I'm also have the same trouble especially with events. Unable to create a form that asks "which session would you like to attend?" and then send emails based on their form input.

My workaround has been  to create individual events, and then linking it to the registration form. 

It sounds like you are trying to collect user availability for services - i wonder if embedding a microsoft form or bookings form may be better suited for this scenario?

Just following this post in case anyone else has solutions to this problem. 

Cheers
    Michelle 
  • QS-29051012-0 Profile Picture
    QS-29051012-0 25 on at
    Hi @Petr Jantac,

Thanks for answering.

I see the rational, but I fear it becomes quite unhealthy to add temporary data to the contact table for our various forms. We're already managing multiple brands in the same CRM, and I can already see how messy it can become over time.
    Will it be possible at some point to use related entities instead, we could then add related entities as needed and populate field in both the contact table and this new entity? That way if we do this form every year we don't have to create duplicate fields to avoid a data mess.

Also, I did not receive an answer on how to do branches in journeys based on forms answers, I suppose it's not possible then 🫤? Do I have to do hundreds of segments to manage branches in journey in general? 
    I'm just quoting your website "Start with the customer data platform or journey orchestration and create personalised marketing experiences your way", Journey orchastration based on form answers does not seem like an edge case. Hopefully it's already there and I am missing it, or maybe it's in the roadmap?

Sorry if I seem rude, I just feel like arriving in the middle of a transition and it's really complicated to understand what was there, what's missing, what's the goal and what's actually on the way.

Best regards,
    Quentin

• Suggested answer
    Petr Jantac Profile Picture
    Petr Jantac on at
    Hi Quentin,

There are two options how to implement the required scenario:
    1. Create a custom attribute of Contact or Lead entity (depending on your choice of audience) called "When is the best day for you". Once the custom attribute is created, you will see it as a form field in the Form editor. As this will be a new attribute of Contact or Lead you can use that attribute to branch the journey using (if/then and the attribute value).
    2. The unmapped form fields are in the backlog, but there is a workaround. You can modify the HTML code of the form to add any custom field. The simple way is to copy paste one of the existing fields in the HTML code editor and change all the parameters' values so the custom field doesn't interfere with other fields. The submitted value of unmapped field is store in the Form submission. You can use the Form submission snapshot in the journey orchestration to branch the journey. We will publish a blog describing details of this workaround in December.

Thank you,
    Petr
  • RudyZhang Profile Picture
    RudyZhang Microsoft Employee on at
    Hi,

We have analyzed the information you have provided and according to the official documentation, "each field displayed in the Marketing form must be explicitly mapped to a contact or lead field in the Dynamics 365 database, where the value submitted for that field will be stored".

Please refer to the official documentation in the link below for details.
    https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/dynamics365/customer-insights/journeys/marketing-fields

I hope my answer is helpful to you! If you have any other questions, please feel free to contact me.

Best Regards,
    Rudy Zhang

Helpful resources

Quick Links

First Dynamics 365 Community Call (CRM Edition)

Don't miss the first D365 Community Call on 7/10!

Community Spotlight of the Month

Kudos to Saurav Dhyani!

Congratulations to the June Top 10 community leaders!

These stars go above and beyond . . .

Leaderboard

André Arnaud de Calavon Profile Picture

André Arnaud de Cal... 285,583 Super User

Martin Dráb Profile Picture

Martin Dráb 225,485 Super User

nmaenpaa Profile Picture

nmaenpaa 101,148

Leaderboard

Featured topics

Product updates

Dynamics 365 release plans