Skip to main content

Notifications

Announcements

No record found.

Business Central forum
Answered

What is the impact of changing partner/reseller or whatever it is called.

Posted on by 180

Hi

I have started a couple of Business central installations with a test drive. At the end of the test periode I was told to select a partner before I could go-live and I simply chose the one nearest to my address. Later I discovered that that the chosen partner was an "Indirect reseller" and behind them was a "Reseller". I don't exactly understand the relation between a "Reseller" and an "Indirect reseller", but I guess that Reseller somehow deliver some services that is "sold" by the "Indirect Reseller"?

We have now been running the 2 systems for a little more that a year and I have no contact to any partner other than I pay the licence fee bills to the "Indirect reseller".

Now I got a message from my "Indirect Reseller" that they switch to work together with and other "Reseller" and I have to sign something in Microsoft 365 admin center to authorize a new partner.

What does this mean for us?

Why do they even ask - I mean I don't think we have any real choice?

Regards Thomas Madsen Nielsen

Categories:
  • TMNielsen Profile Picture
    TMNielsen 180 on at
    RE: What is the impact of changing partner/reseller or whatever it is called.

Ben Baxter

Your answer partly clarifies and I will verify you answer.

The things you explain about why a indirect reseller want to change direct reseller/partner makes sense, but has no direct consequence for me. For example the license fee - I guess this is about how MS share the fee with direct partner and indirect partner. I don't care, because the fee I pay is the same no matter what partner I chose.

The Indirect partner theoretically could help setting up our systems (they don't) so I can see why they could need access to our data and maybe even to delegate admin roles, if I wan't capable to do this my self - but this should not be a general access that I authorize once and for ever.

I should be in control and grand this  access temporarily, if I should need any support from the partner.

I think I will never have any dealing with the direct parter, and they should never have any access to my data.

Regards Thomas

• Verified answer
    Ben Baxter Profile Picture
    Ben Baxter 4,559 Super User 2024 Season 2 on at

"Indirect Partner" = Who you purchase the license from, and usually who provides the support for training/development/etc.  I would guess most BC partners are indirect partners, and only the larger partners (not always better) choose to be Direct.  The difference being the volume of licenses being ordered, and a higher fee to Microsoft.

"Direct Partner" = Person who processes the license with Microsoft.  This is generally a very large company such as Ingram Micro.  They do not do the service/support for Business Central, they provide the distribution of licenses to Indirect Partners.

If your partner is changing "Direct Partners", it should have zero impact on you.  This is typically done to the benefit of the Indirect Partner as they may gain a better ordering platform, marketing support, or better margins.  There may be some trickly down benefit to you, but otherwise there would be no change on your end.

Hope this helps clarify.

TMNielsen 180 on at

Hi again

I'm sorry, if my question is not clear.

I'm not trying to change partner. My existing partner is trying to change partner and they ask me to authorize this. I don't care about partners, but I would like to understand what I authorize.

My parter is according to  Microsoft 365 admin center an "Indirect reseller". I have no idea what that is, but I guess they are not directly partner with Microsoft, but instead they are partner with a "Reseller". So to my understanding they want to switch to partner with an another "Reseller".

I must authorize this new partner to various stuff including get access to delegate admin rules and access to all my data. I don't know this "Reseller" partner and it feels wrong  that they shall have access to delegate admin roles and to all my data.

pastedimage1677573884815v1.png

I don't get any services from any of these partners, but as Microsoft use a partner concept to shield them for any responsibility, I am required to have partner. 

So, the above was just to explain the reason for my question. My Question is:

"What is the impact on my company, if we change partner"

PS. I'm looking for a second opinion, so please don't answer that I must go back and ask my partner again.

Regards Thomas Madsen Nielsen

• Suggested answer
    Inge M. Bruvik Profile Picture
    Inge M. Bruvik 32,744 Moderator on at

If you want to work with another partner that what your indirect reseller is suggesting you are free to select any other partner you prefer.

But you need to have a CSP partner connected to your BC, but you can ask your indirect licensing partner why this is changing at this point.

It could be that your indirect partner no longer have an agreement to sell BC.

• Suggested answer
    Amit_Sharma Profile Picture
    Amit_Sharma 2,545 on at

Hello,

I per my understanding, He ask for COCP form. Means Change Of Channel Partner.

If you have any query. Please raise ticket to Microsoft. They will suggest you better than us.

Regards

Amit Sharma

www.erpconsultors.com

Press  Yes if info is useful

• Suggested answer
    Nitin Verma Profile Picture
    Nitin Verma 21,023 Moderator on at

Local partner means your license or subscription partner, if you are trying to change your reseller there is nothing to change your cloud data center, for more information you can have a discussion with your reseller again.

Thanks.

TMNielsen 180 on at

Hi Nitin

Thank you for your reply.

What is my "local country partner"? If that is the same as my "Indirect reseller" or my "Reseller", then I can't really use that answer for anything.

I am trying to evaluate if the change my "Indirect reseller" is "suggesting" god or bad.

I'm sure if I ask my "Indirect reseller", he will say its a god thing and if I ask the "Reseller" who is going to be replaced, he will say its a bad thing.

But what is the impact on my business?

Will the change of reseller for example mean change of cloud data center?

Or will it mean absolutely nothing?

• Suggested answer
    Nitin Verma Profile Picture
    Nitin Verma 21,023 Moderator on at

In that case you need to consult with your local country partner, they will suggest you best approach.

Under review

Thank you for your reply! To ensure a great experience for everyone, your content is awaiting approval by our Community Managers. Please check back later.

Helpful resources

Quick Links

Anton Venter – Community Spotlight

Kudos to our October Community Star of the month!

Announcing Our 2024 Season 2 Super Users!

A new season of Super Users has arrived, and we are so grateful for the daily…

Dynamics 365 Community Newsletter - September 2024

Check out the latest community news

Leaderboard

André Arnaud de Calavon Profile Picture

André Arnaud de Cal... 290,524 Super User 2024 Season 2

Martin Dráb Profile Picture

Martin Dráb 228,493 Most Valuable Professional

nmaenpaa Profile Picture

nmaenpaa 101,148

Leaderboard

Featured topics

Product updates