Notifications

Announcements

No record found.

Customer Insights - Journeys forum
Suggested answer

How does swimlanes work

Posted on by 50

Hi!

We have got different answers about how swimlanes actually works. Does anyone have the correct answer?

1. The swimlanes are paralell, you can send different e-mails to different segments in every single swimlane, but they start at the same time.

2. Every person in any of the segments within the customer journey will get throug all swimlanes (even if they doest exist in the segment of for example swimlane two, but in the segment for swimlane one).

Can anyone explan a good usecase for how you can use the swimlanes?

Thanks in advance!

/Anna

• Jonas Velling Profile Picture
    Jonas Velling 142 on at
    RE: How does swimlanes work

Hi Chris,

For your scenario, I think you could include a condition to your segments and exclude one from the other.

Swimlane 1 includes Segment A, but should exclude Segment B.

Swimlane 2 includes Segment B, but should exclude Segment A.

I believe that this should be the best way in order for the Contact to only be processed in one of the 2 swimlanes.

Hope this helps

• FlyingChris Profile Picture
    FlyingChris 35 on at

What if after the journey is live and a condition changes that now makes the contact in swimlane 1 now eligable for swimlane 2, will they now be enrolled in both swim lanes? My test showed this true. I really wish there was a option to only allow a contact to enroll in one swim lane only no matter what data may change to trigger a different swim lane after it's launched.

• Suggested answer
    Nya Profile Picture
    Nya 29,050 on at

Hi Anna,

1. True.

They start at the same time, i.e. the start time of the whole journey.

But the key thing is to see when the contact person joins the segment of this swimlane.

For example, if the segment for a swim lane is set to a contact who has submitted a form, and the start time of the journey is 7 am today, and the time of the form submission is 12 am today, then the contact will be processed at the time of submission and filtered by the segment.

2. False. 

Each swimlane has its own audience. 

For example, swimlane 1's audience is segment A, and swimlane 2's audience is segment B.

Contact X only exists in segment A.

X will be processed by swimlane 1 only.

• Anna Nilsson Profile Picture
    Anna Nilsson 50 on at
    How does swimlanes work

Hi!

We have got different answers about how swimlanes actually works. Does anyone have the correct answer?

1. The swimlanes are paralell, you can send different e-mails to different segments in every single swimlane, but they start at the same time.

2. Every person in any of the segments within the customer journey will get throug all swimlanes (even if they doesn't exist in the segment of for example swimlane two, but in the segment for swimlane one).

Can anyone explan a good usecase for how you can use the swimlanes?

Thanks in advance!

/Anna

Helpful resources

Quick Links

Replay now available! Dynamics 365 Community Call (CRM Edition)

Catch up on the first D365 Community Call held on 7/10

Community Spotlight of the Month

Kudos to Saurav Dhyani!

Congratulations to the June Top 10 community leaders!

These stars go above and beyond . . .

Leaderboard

André Arnaud de Calavon Profile Picture

André Arnaud de Cal... 288,584 Super User

Martin Dráb Profile Picture

Martin Dráb 225,864 Super User

nmaenpaa Profile Picture

nmaenpaa 101,148

Leaderboard

Featured topics

Product updates

Dynamics 365 release plans