Notifications

Announcements

No record found.

Business Central forum
Answered

Purchase quotes workflow approval

Posted on by 9
Hi,

In a company there is a person that is responsible to send out purchase quotes for approval. There are also several different approval groups depended on which salesperson created the quote.

Lets say salesperson 1 creates a quote. This needs to be approved by people in usergroup A (2 people), and salesperson B creates a quote. This needs to be approved by usergroup B. For this company I need to setup at least 8 user groups to account for all the variations. 

Is this possible:

Person responsible for sending the PQ out for approval -> When you click "Send approval request" -> A drop-down menu which lists all user groups and you choose the one you want.

I don't know if this is the best solution. If any has a better solution please feel free to share it with me. 
Categories:
  • Verified answer
    Tarik Jerkovic Profile Picture
    Tarik Jerkovic 55 on at

Hi all,

I think Mr. @Saurav answer correctly for this question but I will write what I implemented similar solution :)

You can achieve the desired workflow approval setup by adding a custom field on the Purchase Quote header. Here’s a step-by-step solution:

1. Create a Custom Table (Optional):

• Create a new table with two columns: Code and Description.
      • This table will store different approval categories. Each category will correspond to a specific approval group.
    2. Add a Field to Purchase Quote Header (Optional):

• Add a new field on the Purchase Quote header. This field will be a lookup to the custom table created in step 1.
      • I recommend naming this field Category Approval Code.

Without Customization:
    If you prefer not to use customization, you can utilize an existing field on the Purchase Quote header to categorize the approval process. For instance, you can use the Dimension, Location Code, or any other available field that is not currently in use for other purposes.

1. Link Approval Groups:

• Configure your approval workflows to link each chosen field value (either from the custom Category Approval Code or an existing field) to the corresponding approval group.
      • When a salesperson creates a quote, they will select the appropriate category from the chosen field. This will determine which approval group the quote is sent to.
    2. Workflow Configuration:

• Set up your workflows so that based on the selected field value, the system routes the purchase quote to the appropriate approval group.

Benefits:

• This solution is flexible and scalable, allowing you to manage various approval groups without creating a complex web of user groups.
    • It also provides an easy way for end-users to select the appropriate approval chain without requiring multiple user groups.

Implementation Steps:

1. Development (if needed): If you have the capability to develop this feature, start by creating the custom table and field.
    2. Configuration: Set up the approval workflows to recognize the chosen field value and route the approvals accordingly.
    3. Training: Ensure that end-users are trained to select the correct category when creating a purchase quote.

This approach simplifies the management of approval workflows and allows for easy modifications in the future.

• Suggested answer
    YUN ZHU Profile Picture
    YUN ZHU 70,593 Super User 2024 Season 2 on at
    Hi, you may be able to do this using Power Automate. After you click the button, you can let the user enter the approver's email address. I think you can try it.

Hope this helps.
    Thanks.
    ZHU
  • Suggested answer
    Valentin Castravet Profile Picture
    Valentin Castravet 22,693 Super User 2024 Season 2 on at
    Its not possible to select an approver group when you send the purchase quote for an approval. However, any field on the purchase quote header can be used to do that for you automatically. For example, the purchaser code was mentioned as a solution. You can also do it with the assigned user ID field, or dimensions. You just have to find a field that can be used. And then any time you change the selected field on the purchase quote header, the system will automatically apply the desired approval group. 

• Suggested answer
    Jun Wang Profile Picture
    Jun Wang 7,228 Super User 2024 Season 2 on at
    previous response is the solution except BC doesn't allow user to select an approver from dropdown. If this is important, you need to build a customization.
    Jun Wang
  • Suggested answer
    Saurav.Dhyani Profile Picture
    Saurav.Dhyani 17,959 Super User 2024 Season 2 on at
    Hi,

The only workaround or to set it up is like below -

1. Create multiple workflows.
    2. On each workflow on the first line of workflow subform filter for Salesperson Code.
    3. Based on Salesperson Code you can map to one workflow user group.
    4. Each Workflow is for a specific for Salesperson Code and based on it system will create approval entry for right Approver(s).

Regards,
    Saurav Dhyani

Under review

Thank you for your reply! To ensure a great experience for everyone, your content is awaiting approval by our Community Managers. Please check back later.

Helpful resources

Quick Links

Anton Venter – Community Spotlight

Kudos to our October Community Star of the month!

Announcing Our 2024 Season 2 Super Users!

A new season of Super Users has arrived, and we are so grateful for the daily…

Leaderboard

André Arnaud de Calavon Profile Picture

André Arnaud de Cal... 290,607 Super User 2024 Season 2

Martin Dráb Profile Picture

Martin Dráb 228,847 Most Valuable Professional

nmaenpaa Profile Picture

nmaenpaa 101,150

Leaderboard

Featured topics

Product updates

Dynamics 365 release plans