I wrote this Article to help explain and give examples for the two different methods (Reverse and Correct) that you have available to use on the ‘Select Timesheets For Adjustment Window’.   I hope you find this beneficial in understanding the difference between these two methods.

METHOD 1: Reverse

Using the ‘Reverse’ button functionality, is the same as voiding the timesheet.  Its purpose is to reverse/void the timesheet(s) that you select.   GP will create a new timesheet that is the exact opposite of the timesheet(s) you selected so the net outcome is 0.  This is not used for adjustments, it is used to reverse the original timesheet completely so that is as if it never happened.  If needed you can enter a brand new timesheet after the fact to replace the timesheet that you reversed.

For Example:

1. (Project >Transactions > PA Transaction Adjustment > Select Timesheets for Adjustment)

2. Choose your filters and select a timesheet (or multiple timesheets) from the list that you want to reverse by marking them on the list.

3. Click the ‘Reverse’ button.

4. A new screen will come up where you enter the document date that you want to reversal to occur on, and enter a batch ID and click ‘Save’.

NOTE: If you do not enter a Batch ID, and click Post then the new negative timesheet will automatically post.  I recommend putting it into a batch so you can review the negative timesheet first, then post the batch

5. (Project > Transactions > Timesheet Entry)

6. Notice that a new timesheet is saved to the Batch ID that you chose in step 4.  The Comment in the window will tell you which Timesheet, this new negative timesheet is reversing for you.

7. If all looks good, Post the Timesheet, and you have now voided/reversed your original Timesheet

NOTE: on this step you can choose if you want to push these values to a Payroll Batch or not.

8. At this point you can enter a brand new timesheet to replace the old one if needed or if the goal was to just get rid of the timesheet, then your process is complete.

METHOD 2: Correcting

Using the ‘Correct’ button functionality, is used to make an adjustment to Costs and/or billing rates on timesheets.  GP will create 2 new Timesheets with this method.  One that is the exact opposite of the timesheet(s) you selected so the net outcome is 0 (just like the reversing), and a second Timesheet that has the new rates that you chose to update based on Project Number and Cost Category. 

For Example:

1. (Project >Transactions > PA Transaction Adjustment > Select Timesheets for Adjustment)

2. Choose your filters and select a timesheet (or multiple timesheets) from the list that you want to correct by marking them on the list.

3. Click the ‘Correct’ button.

4. A new screen will come up where you enter the document date that you want to reverse and correct to occur on, and enter a batch ID.

a. In my case I selected 3 lines, but only 2 of them are for the project HOTELEDGER and the cost category CONSULTING.

b. I am ‘overriding’ the Unit Cost to be $20, and the Billing Rate to be $30 for only the project and cost category that I had select, TS000000000002 will not be updated with this change because it does not have this Proejct/Cost Category combination, even though it is selected, so a change will not be posted for this timesheet.  (If I wanted to update TS000000000002, I will have to select it separately and updated that project and cost category.) 

c. My other option would be to choose the radio button for ‘Update’ instead of override which would update the unit cost using current budget settings.

d. Click save once you have entered the changes that you wanted.

NOTE: If you do not enter a Batch ID, and click Post then the new negative timesheet will automatically post.  I recommend putting it into a batch so you can review the negative timesheet first, then post the batch.

5. (Project > Transactions > Timesheet Entry)

6. I now have 4 new timesheets in my Batch from step 4. 

a. 2 for timesheet TS0000000000008 (reversing and correcting at new unit cost)

b. 2 for timesheet TS0000000000029 (reversing and correcting at new unit cost)

Reverse Entry:  TS000000000000029 and Correct:  TS000000000000029 just like the screenshots above.

7. If all looks good, Post the Timesheets, and you have now voided/reversed your original Timesheets and posted the new corrections.

NOTE: on this step you can choose if you want to push these values to a Payroll Batch or not.

8. At this point your process is complete.

For more information on this topic please see Chapter6 in the Project Accounting Control Manual for more information, which Available on TechNet. 

For a general explanation of your two options please see the following KB Article: 4020444