Try Microsoft Edge
A fast and secure browser that's designed for Windows 10
I hope everyone is having a great week at Collaborate Canada, what an awesome event!!Well, I suppose you heard, the T4127 did release this week, just what we were all waiting for. We are feverishly working through the document of changes along with the XML changes to be able to release the Microsoft Dynamics GP 2017 Canadian Payroll Year-End update which also includes the 2018 Canadian Payroll Taxes.
We plan to release this as all one update, including RL-1 changes for Quebec. This way it is less hassle with installs, etc.
The target release is by 12/22, but hope for sooner, it is touch and go here day by day so a lot is changing and hard to pin point, but I'm going with the later and then hope to deliver you an early Christmas present. :-).
After the T4127 is reviewed more, I will update the pages and this blog of the expected change.
But for now, lets get started with our year end steps that should be the same YOY, but good reminders to all.
What steps should I take to close the year?
1. Complete all the pay runs for the current year.2. Complete any necessary 2017 Payroll reports.3. Make a backup of the data.4. ***Install the 2017 Canadian Payroll Year-End Update/2018 Tax Update.***5. Complete the "Year End File Reset" process.6. Make a backup of the data.7. Create the T4, T4A, and RL-1 statements, and print the T4, T4A, and RL-1 reports.8. Edit the T4, T4A, and RL-1 records as necessary.9. Create T4, T4A, and RL-1 Summary records.10. Print the T4, T4A, RL-1 reports and create T4, T4A and RL-1 XML file, if appropriate.11. Verify that the Pay periods for 2018 are setup correctly.
~For more detailed steps, please refer to the Year-end closing procedure for the Canadian Payroll module in Microsoft Dynamics GP, by clicking on KB 861806.
Change for the 2017 Year End and 2018 Tax tables.
T4, T4A and RL-1 XML changes No T4 or T4A form changes
- Canada Employment Insurance (EI) - Canada Pension Plan (CPP) - Canada Income Tax - Alberta - British Columbia - Manitoba - New Brunswick - Newfoundland and Labrador - Northwest Territories- Nunavut - Ontario- QPIP Tax - QPP Tax - Quebec Provincial tax - Saskatchewan - Yukon **This will be translated to French
Software Development Number for XML - RQ-17-01-217
RL-1 Slip Authorization number FS1701235 (enter in the Payroll T4/R1 Print window)_____
The RL-1 Slip is NOT finalized, this will be final in the January hotfix due to release week of 1/22/2018.
The Quebec basic amount is incorrect once you install the update for the 2018 reporting year, also Single Payment taxes are incorrect.
Below is a script you can use to fix it, once you have completed the reset employee master process. Make sure to change it in the control as well for the new employees that are created going forward. Tools | Setup | Payroll Canada | Control | Tax Credits
update CPY10100/*P_CPY_MSTR*/ set PQuebecMR19Line12='15012.00000' , PQuebecMR19Base='15012.00000' where PProvince='QC'
The Alberta basic amount may be incorrect once you install the update for the 2018 reporting year.
set PBasicPersonalAmount='18915.00000' where PBasicPersonalAmount=18914.00000'and pjurisdiction='AB'
The Quebec Tax Amount is incorrect with the 2018 Payroll Tax UpdateIn step 2 of the Quebec formula to calculate taxes, there is a rate you take * E (E is the basic amount 15012.00 for the 2018 year)For the 2017 year, this rate was .20 for the 2018 year this rate went down to .15. This rate is hard coded in our system.This rate was not changed in Microsoft Dynamics GP to .15 and thus our taxes are under withheld.We will fix this in the January Hotfix due to release week of 1/22/2018. There is a workaround that is plausible, if you are interested to know more, please create a support case with our team, you will not be charged for this call.https://mbs2.microsoft.com/Support/newstart.aspx
When you file your T4 and T4A XML after you apply the Canadian Payroll Year end update, it will fail with CRA. When generating the XML there was a new 2018 requirement to add the below line for amendment only submissions, it is getting added on ALL submissions and should not, causing the fail. This will be fixed in the January Hotfix, an easy workaround is to remove this line from your XML if it is the Original (O) file and it will upload correctly.
1. Open the XML file in Notepad.
2. Search for the tag ‘fileramendmentnote’ (near the end of the file).
3. Delete the line and ensure there is no space left over.**If you have two or more Employer's in your XML file, you will need to remove this line for each employer number**
New for 2018 - An amendment reason explanation tag has been added at the Summary level for the following form types : T4, T4A ,T4A-NR, T4RSP, T4RIF, T4E, T4AP, T4OAS, T1204, PRPP, T5, T5007, T5008, T5013, T5018, T3, NR4, TFSA, RRSP. The tag is not mandatory and is intended to allow a filer to provide a brief explanation for the amendments within the file up to 1309 characters.
Key Points to remember:
• The Year End Close process moves all your current year data into the Last Year (LY) tables and it doesn't take the date into consideration. For this reason it is very important that you complete ALL 2017 Payrolls (step 1) and then complete at least through the year end file reset (step 5) before doing any 2018 payrolls.• It is vital that you install the Year-End Update before the Year End Reset (Steps 4 and 5) because you are prompted during the Year End Reset to update Basic Personal Amounts. If you miss this you will need to restore from a backup.• When you do the Year End Reset it changes the Basic Personal Amounts for employees. Depending on the Province it will either add a fixed amount or increase the amount by an indexation factor as determined by the Provincial Authority.• This is an all-inclusive update.
Microsoft Dynamics GP 2013
Microsoft Dynamics GP 2015
Microsoft Dynamics GP 2016
**There is no Canadian 2017 Year end / 2018 tax update for Microsoft Dynamics GP 2018, this will be included in the January Hotfix, due out end of January 2018.
Year-End Close Resources:
Please refer to the 2017 Year-End Blog Schedule to review current and upcoming blog posts and other helpful resource links related to Year-End Closing for Dynamics GP
Hi Terry, Is the timing of installing the year end update crucial that all 2017 payrolls have been completed first, or is this like the US one where it can be installed as soon as it's released?
I had a historical receipt of PO and I don't know where can I look it up? Also what the impact of a historical receipt on accrual accounting system, and in particular if I considered this historical receipt as accrued purchases and I need to extinguish this obligation in my records?
@Sherlene - as soon as that tax update is installed, the tax rates and calcs take effect. So, yes, the 2017 payrolls must be complete first. I actually tested this last year to confirm, hoping that the calcs were based on pay date and they were not.
so we already installed the YE Tax update released in Dec...and we have to install the hotfix...and perform year end again??
your instructions are confusing for the GP 2013 January Hot Fix.