Setting up the email functions in dynamics GP can be a true game changer. Now that GP is highly integrated with other Microsoft Office programs you can utilize your Word Templates in Conjunction with emailing capabilities to really automate and customize communications.

This is the first part of a three part blog series on emailing in Dynamics GP.

This blog is on setting up the functionality

The second blog is on how to use the functionality (Here)

The third blog will cover all of the various tables that hold your email information and how they work (coming soon)

Yes, you need your Word Templates functioning – but that would be an entirely different blog, LOL.

Dynamics GP emailing setup:

At the highest level understanding there is a pyramid setup to email functionality

1. System

1. Setup Server types etc

2. Company

1. Setup to attach or embed documents

2. Select allowed document formats

3. Compose email messages

1. You can copy these between databases

3. Series

1. Sales or Purchasing

2. Set up the default message ID from Company Setup for each Document Type that has email capabilities

3. A few other allow-type settings

4. Master Record (Vendor or Customer)

1. Select a message ID per document type specific to the customer or vendor

1. Along with the ability to set your Word Templates by Master Record this can get very customized per company/customer, etc.

2. Select functioning of emailing just for this vendor or customer

3. Set up the vendor or customer email addresses

System Setup:

The system setup is super straightforward.

Start at Administration>Setup>System>System Preferences. Select your Email Preferences here (only the highest possible level of preference)  server type and whether you want to protect Word (.docx) attachments with a password. My advice is not to send communications from GP as Word attachments, but to send them as PDF’s.  If you must send a Word document, you have the option of protecting those documents with a password.

Company Setup

Setup

The next bit of setup is at the Administration>Setup>Company level and we’ll start with E-Mail Settings.

It’s here that you tell GP if you want the documents it is mailing to be embedded in the email sent or if you want the documents (PO’s, Invoices, etc.) sent as email attachments. You may then choose the allowed formats. As you can see from the screenshot you can send them as Word Document, HTML, PDF or XPS.

Now we can select to enable e-mail for both the Sales Series and the Purchasing Series from here. Once you click on these it will ask for a login to your email – you’ll just enter your email and network login information here – it does mean that this is the address that will send the emails - therefore, many companies create an email alias with a shared password that everyone who emails from GP will use. You will have to enter this once each time you open GP if you need to send emails or make changes to setups – but only once per session.

Setting up email messages:

Next, since we’re going to use the emailing, we’ll need to tell GP what we want our email messages to say.

Let’s setup our email messages before we move into the Sales or Purchasing Series setups.

At Administration>Setup>Company>E-mail Message setup let’s create an email message to send to our vendors for their EFT Remittance advice.

1. Enter the message ID

1. Should be something indicative of the type of message it is

2. Enter the message ID’s description

3. Choose the type of Message it is

1. Standard (non workflow related)

2. Workflow Assignment (asking for approval)

3. Workflow Action Completed (alerting originator of approval)

4. Choose the Series that the document comes from.

5. Choose the Document Type it will affect.

Numbers 4 and 5 above will drive the fields available for the email and the locations for selection of the message.

In my EFT Message I want to set up the Mail-Merge type functionality to greet my vendor and give them information on the remittance.

To do this I can add the mail merge fields (Located at the bottom of the window) to both the Subject and the Body to really customize my message.

Simply begin typing your custom message and when you need a field to auto populate use the drop down in the Select and Insert Fields area, choose the field you want and click insert. This will insert the field into the message wherever you need it to go.

There is a checkbox to be able to get to even more additional fields – these fields are determined by the Series and Document type. Last but not least, select the email address you want replies sent to. For instance, if you are sending Sales Invoices you may want the replies sent to AccountsReceivable@yourcompany.com.

Series Setup

Now that we have created all of the messages for the document types (you can have as many as you want) we just need to tell GP what document types are assigned which document email message. In Sales and Purchasing email setup you can set defaults, but you can get granular down to individual messages by vendor and/or customer so that you can truly customize GP’s communications.

Let’s look at a Purchasing Series email setup (the Sales setup looks VERY similar, there are just many more document types in Sales)

As you can see in the screenshot I can mark this as enabled, choose my default message ID’s for the document types, choose who replies will be sent to and also tell GP if I want to allow the “Reply To” to be changed at the entry or to allow and update to the email address at the time of entry.

Once these are setup, let’s setup our vendors (or customers if you are in the Sales Module)

Master Record Setup:

If you click on the “Vendor Setup” in the above shot it will open a list of your vendors and you can open those one by one to set this up. I prefer to start at my Vendor Card (or customer) level and go from there.

We are NOT setting up email addresses at this point – only email communications. Email addresses need to be setup at the address level of the vendor and the AddressID with the email on it needs to be assigned to the particular transactions to work – generally speaking.

At this point you may be thinking that this is just too much work – there are shortcuts to setting these up individually, anything from a SQL script to a mail-merge macro can be used to update all of your vendors with this information.

At Purchasing>Cards>Vendors we will open a vendor and click on the E-mail button. Here we can tell GP if this vendor is allowed multiple attachments per email and even set a maximum file size for that vendor.

In the Email Address based on Doc Type you can choose to enable that or not – this gives you the ability to send (in our example) the Purchase Order to a different email address than you are sending the Remittance to.

In the Send Forms as E-mail section we can select our custom message and the format of the attachment we want to send. IF you enabled a difference email address based on document type you can use the ellipses to select the email address for that document type.

You’ll set up each of your vendors or customers this way.

We are now ready to start using our emails in Dynamics GP.  Look for my next blog post on that!!

Ian Grieve published a blog to help "Short-Cut" the setup of emailing in GP for Master Records, Enjoy!!  

http://www.azurecurve.co.uk/2018/07/enabling-email-for-all-master-records/