MR CU9 to MR CU 14 Upgrade path

Question Status

Verified
Richard Wheeler asked a question on 29 Jan 2016 8:17 AM

Has anyone upgraded MR CU 9 to CU 14 and what path did you use? I now have a test system where I have exported the building blocks from the production system into a test blank image. When I first tried to apply CU 10 all of the building blocks were deleted. Actually what the upgrade did was delete every table in the MR database. So do I try to go to CU 11, CU12, CU13 first or do I go to CU 14 directly? Or can I simply delete the MR databases and install CU 14 and import the building blocks? Now that I have a test image I will be doing image backups as I try different scenarios however time is money so if someone has already determined the correct path I would welcome your input.

Verified Answer
Matt Paulen responded on 29 Jan 2016 8:51 AM

You should be able to jump straight to CU 14 since they are all cumulative updates.  I quickly perused through the install guide and while it doesn't say anything about specific upgrade paths, it mentions upgrading from earlier releases and says:

"Upgrade from Management Reporter 2012 RTM or previous rollups

You are not required to uninstall the initial release of Management Reporter 2012 (version 2.1.1026.37) or a previous rollup if you are upgrading to the most recent cumulative update.

When you upgrade from a previous release of Management Reporter 2012, you must upgrade your Management Reporter database and install updated versions of all Management Reporter components. Management Reporter 2012 will not operate correctly if there is a version mismatch between the database, the server components, the client components, and the data provider(s).

During the upgrade process, make sure that you stop the process service to help ensure that the upgrade process runs smoothly.

Note: During the upgrade process, Management Reporter 2012 client components cannot connect to the service.

When you install the cumulative update, the Management Reporter 2012 process service stops until the Management Reporter database is updated to the current schema version. After all update tasks are completed, you must manually start the process service again using the Configuration Console. If you have more than one process service, make sure that all instances of the service are stopped until the upgrade is completed."

I've done many jumps from early on CU's to some of the most recent ones.  In regards to deleting the MR databases, installing CU 14, and then importing your reports.  That would work too but keep in mind you would lose all the security that is set up, report version history, and folder structure in the report library.

Richard Wheeler responded on 3 Feb 2016 6:06 AM

I am going to try to upgrade from CU9 directly to CU14 in our test environment. The first time I tried the upgrade I went from CU9 to CU10. When I did that every table in the MR database was removed and not replaced. I can only assume there was a bug in the patch. Worst case scenario, as I see it, is to export all the definitions, blow everything away and reinstall and then import in those definitions.

RogerRogerATX responded on 4 Feb 2016 2:06 PM

We went from CU 9 to CU 11, and then to 14.

We had a MAJOR problem from 9 to 11, and this is how we (with MS help) got it to work.

Backup MR db, remove your data connections (don't worry, you would need to rebuild anyway).

Uninstall CU9.

Install CU14.  

Point to the existing db and Let it update the database.  Make sure you have like 3x the size of the MR db available in HD space on the server (the log file will get huge)

Shrink log file

Recreate data connections.

This method seems to avoid the most problems.  There is something on one of the patches that is needed for an inplace upgrade of the actual software, and removing and reinstalling seems to do the trick.  The report formats are saved in the MR database so I haven't had to actually use the import.export definitions feature in a very long time.

Suggested Answer
Béat Bucher responded on 28 Mar 2016 1:29 PM

Hi Richard,

I know this is old stuff (though CU14 is actual), but I just completed recently an upgrade from CU10 to CU14, and can tell right off that this doesn't work straight to CU14...

I tried multiple times, in different way, but it kept erring out when doing the MR2012 DB upgrade.. I ended up using the intermediate step of CU11 to be able to complete the upgrade to CU14... without any errors.

Looking at the logs showed that CU14 was trying to delete/upgrade tables that didn't seem to be there prior to CU11.. thus the failure.

Just my 2cts in case someone is wondering.

Richard Wheeler responded on 28 Mar 2016 3:24 PM

Beat, I did not even bother with the upgrade. I exported the building blocks out of CU9, uninstalled client and server MR and then installed client and server CU14 and imported the building blocks and all the reports worked fine. I have not had to rebuild the DataMart once since the upgrade.

marknelson responded on 12 Oct 2017 4:33 PM

Matt

Just found this thread, I need to move us from CU 10 2.1.10001.112 to CU16.

I was going to export the reports as a precaution, stop the services then run the installer. We are running DGP 13 R2 in a citrix environment. Any reason to expect issues along the way? Last time I did this was Frx 6.7 to MR and there were some issues, this process seems a little cleaner. I notice a Hotfix to install post upgrade as well prior to rebuilding the DataMart?

Thank you

mark

Verified Answer
Matt Paulen responded on 29 Jan 2016 8:51 AM

You should be able to jump straight to CU 14 since they are all cumulative updates.  I quickly perused through the install guide and while it doesn't say anything about specific upgrade paths, it mentions upgrading from earlier releases and says:

"Upgrade from Management Reporter 2012 RTM or previous rollups

You are not required to uninstall the initial release of Management Reporter 2012 (version 2.1.1026.37) or a previous rollup if you are upgrading to the most recent cumulative update.

When you upgrade from a previous release of Management Reporter 2012, you must upgrade your Management Reporter database and install updated versions of all Management Reporter components. Management Reporter 2012 will not operate correctly if there is a version mismatch between the database, the server components, the client components, and the data provider(s).

During the upgrade process, make sure that you stop the process service to help ensure that the upgrade process runs smoothly.

Note: During the upgrade process, Management Reporter 2012 client components cannot connect to the service.

When you install the cumulative update, the Management Reporter 2012 process service stops until the Management Reporter database is updated to the current schema version. After all update tasks are completed, you must manually start the process service again using the Configuration Console. If you have more than one process service, make sure that all instances of the service are stopped until the upgrade is completed."

I've done many jumps from early on CU's to some of the most recent ones.  In regards to deleting the MR databases, installing CU 14, and then importing your reports.  That would work too but keep in mind you would lose all the security that is set up, report version history, and folder structure in the report library.

Suggested Answer
Béat Bucher responded on 28 Mar 2016 1:29 PM

Hi Richard,

I know this is old stuff (though CU14 is actual), but I just completed recently an upgrade from CU10 to CU14, and can tell right off that this doesn't work straight to CU14...

I tried multiple times, in different way, but it kept erring out when doing the MR2012 DB upgrade.. I ended up using the intermediate step of CU11 to be able to complete the upgrade to CU14... without any errors.

Looking at the logs showed that CU14 was trying to delete/upgrade tables that didn't seem to be there prior to CU11.. thus the failure.

Just my 2cts in case someone is wondering.