Question Status

Suggested Answer
BrianM asked a question on 29 Dec 2010 9:07 AM

Hello all, Ok I am totally confused on what tax updates we are supposed to install and which instructions to follow.  We have GP 10 SP 5 installed.  I have read the US 2010 year end updates/GP and the Year-End Closing procedures for MS Dynamics GP Payroll and something else that says something about "Round 1 for 2011 tax updates" .  First which one do i follow?  When I go to the Payroll tax Update window it says I have 6/21/2010 as the latest.  We were told by our Parter that even if we do the update later on it's ok we don't have to calculate the first few weeks that we missed the update will take care of that.  I don' t really see how it's able to understand that we will run 2 payroll runs without the new tables being updated.  Also one pub says we have to do it on every client another makes it sound like we just do the update once and done.  TIA

Suggested Answer
Frank Hamelly responded on 29 Dec 2010 10:07 AM

Hi Brian.  The tax updates can be confusing.

1.  You need to apply the 2011 Tax Update prior to running your first payroll of 2011.  If you don't, you'll be running 2011 checks using 2010 rates.  This could throw off withholdings from the employee checks and the amount you remit to the taxing authorities.

2.  You need to apply the update for every client machine you're running payroll from, unless you're using terminal services or Citrix, in which case applying to the application server would be sufficient.

Hope this helps,

BrianM responded on 29 Dec 2010 10:32 AM

Ok so just to be clear  I don't need to do the 2010 Year-End Update just the 2011 Tax Update that can be done in the "Maintenance-US Payroll Update"?  Also about what our consultants said about not running it before the first payroll run that it will catch it up.  That i think sounds like nonsense but can't confirm any ideas.. Also thanx for the reply seems to have been lacking lately on the forum.  TIA

Suggested Answer
Frank Hamelly responded on 29 Dec 2010 11:04 AM

Brian, you need to get a copy of MS' US 2011 January Payroll Tax Update pdf document.  it explains the whys and wherefores of applying this update.  If you don't have access to CustomerSource or your partner can't get it for you, let me know, I'll email it to you.  fhamelly@eastcoast-dynamics.com.

Suggested Answer
Frank Hamelly responded on 29 Dec 2010 10:07 AM

Hi Brian.  The tax updates can be confusing.

1.  You need to apply the 2011 Tax Update prior to running your first payroll of 2011.  If you don't, you'll be running 2011 checks using 2010 rates.  This could throw off withholdings from the employee checks and the amount you remit to the taxing authorities.

2.  You need to apply the update for every client machine you're running payroll from, unless you're using terminal services or Citrix, in which case applying to the application server would be sufficient.

Hope this helps,

Suggested Answer
Frank Hamelly responded on 29 Dec 2010 11:04 AM

Brian, you need to get a copy of MS' US 2011 January Payroll Tax Update pdf document.  it explains the whys and wherefores of applying this update.  If you don't have access to CustomerSource or your partner can't get it for you, let me know, I'll email it to you.  fhamelly@eastcoast-dynamics.com.