SBX - Forum Post Title

Word Templates and com add-in

Microsoft Dynamics GP Forum

David Mason asked a question on 13 Dec 2018 2:31 PM
My Badges

Question Status

Unanswered

Hi Community

I have an issues where the COM Add-in for Word will not install in version 1811 (I think the latest word release). Installs fine in older versions of Word. Has anyone come across this issue and is there a work around to install the COM add-in.

Thanks in advance

David

David Mason responded on 13 Dec 2018 7:45 PM
My Badges

I should also mention that when a report is generated it returns data correctly on older versions of word. On Word 1811 it does not return data

David Mason responded on 17 Dec 2018 1:30 PM
My Badges

Hi Derek,

Thank-you for the reply.

They are using Office 365 version 1811 and GP 2018 RTM.

Thanks again

David

Derek Albaugh responded on 17 Dec 2018 1:35 PM
My Badges

What version of MS Word/Office are you using?

It appears you're on Dynamics GP 2018, so verify it is one of these two supported versions:

Microsoft Office 2013 32bit & x64

Microsoft Office 2016 32bit & x64

Let me know the Office/Word version being used and I can test this.

Thanks

Steve responded on 18 Dec 2018 1:15 AM
My Badges

Derek Albaugh

What version of MS Word/Office are you using?

It appears you're on Dynamics GP 2018, so verify it is one of these two supported versions:

Microsoft Office 2013 32bit & x64

Microsoft Office 2016 32bit & x64

Let me know the Office/Word version being used and I can test this.

Thanks

Sorry, I don't want to hijack this thread, however I did have a quick question for Derek regarding Office compatibility that is somewhat related.

Microsoft in their system requirements are saying they specifically support Microsoft Office 2013 and 2016 for GP 2018.

however one would also assume they support Office 365 for GP 2018, since they support Office 365 ​Applications ​
(Desktop Subscriptions) for previous versions of GP.

https://mbs.microsoft.com/customersource/northamerica/GP/support/hot-topics/msdgpoffice365comp

If MS supports Office 365 Applications, one might also assume that they *should* support Office 2019 desktop applications, since the current builds of Office 365 applications are more recent than the Office 2019 retail builds?

In the end, does it really matter what version of Office you are on, since if you on Office 365 you are using the build that Microsoft is pushing out currently (which as I understand is already past the Office 2019 RTM builds)

In this case is there any reason why Microsoft haven't updated the system requirements to list support for Office 2019?

(also it would be great if Microsoft could specifically list Office 365 in the system requirements to save any confusion)

Derek Albaugh responded on 18 Dec 2018 7:41 AM
My Badges

No, that's fine, I didn't mean to omit Office 365 when I mentioned Office 2013 and 2016, I was more wanting to find out what was being used so I could test it myself, as we haven't seen a volume of support cases coming in to suggest there was some issue with the GP Word add-in installation.

While I agree with what you stated about Office 365/Office 2019, I'm not sure of how our developers go through testing existing GP applications and functionality with new releases, such as in this case, or if they're more focused on testing future releases of GP with newer technologies, such as GP '2019' with Office 365, etc.

From a technical support side, we're actually wanting the same thing, that way we can point customers/partners to what is and what is not supported and to make it more clear.

I have a Office 365 environment I can test with, let me see if I have the 'Office 2019' version and if I do I'll test it and see if I can re-create this or not.....I'll update here whether or not I see the same issue or not.

Thanks

David Mason responded on 2 Jan 2019 9:02 PM
My Badges

Hi Derek,

I have done some further testing and it appears that the templates will just not return anything but XXXXXXXXX in Office 365 version 1811 (2019). Have you been able to come up with anything?

Thanks

David

Derek Albaugh responded on 3 Jan 2019 10:30 AM
My Badges

Hello David,

Sorry it took so long to respond...….been a crazy couple of weeks....

I installed Office 365 at version 1811 (11029.20108) and after doing that, I was able to install the 'Microsoft Dynamics GP Add-in for Microsoft Word' without issue, for Dynamics GP 2018.

After doing that, I went into MS Word and in File > Options > Add-ins, verified that 'Microsoft Dynamics GP Add-in for Microsoft Word' was listed under the 'Active Application Add-ins'.

I did have to click on File > Options > Customize Ribbon, and select the 'Developer' tab under 'Main Tab' to get that to show up. Once I did that, in MS Word, I now see the 'Developer' menu tab and under it, I see 'Microsoft Dynamics GP Templates' listed, as well as 'Field List', 'Add Source' and 'Remove Source', among others.

I spoke with someone that works more with the Word templates in Dynamics GP and they mentioned they haven't seen any issues with the Word templates printing xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx instead of data. They did mention that they had seen this type of issue occur because of bookmarks not in the right spot and/or becoming corrupted. Also, some third-party products have caused behavior with Word templates that we don't see otherwise, so if you have any, I'd remove those from the testing as well.

So far, the only issues we've seen with O365 updates and Dynamics GP, are listed in the following blog:

Microsoft Dynamics GP crashes/closes when emailing after Office Update

community.dynamics.com/.../dynamics-gp-crashes-closes-when-emailing-after-office-update

Thanks,

David Mason responded on 3 Jan 2019 9:10 PM
My Badges

Hi Derek,

Thank-you very much for the effort and replies. I'm still in limbo with this one as the templates work perfectly in Word 2013 and won't populate data in Office 365 at version 1811 (11029.20108). Doing some more testing myself at the moment, very puzzling

Thanks again

David

Derek Albaugh responded on 4 Jan 2019 7:39 AM
My Badges

Yes, I'd be curious if others on this forum are seeing this type of behavior as well.

If you have a Word template report that is showing xxxxxxxxxxxxx instead of data, it may be worth opening a support case to have a technician look at it with you.

Thanks

MangalaShetty responded on 12 Mar 2019 1:14 PM

Hi Derek,

Did you get this resolved yet. I have a similar issue and I'm curious to know how did you resolve it.

Thanks,

Mangala

Mangala Shetty

Senior Business Analyst

Saint Elizabeth

T: +1 416-931-2392

www.saintelizabeth.com

SBX - Two Col Forum

SBX - Migrated JS