ArcherPoint Dynamics NAV Developer Digest - vol 273 Suzanne Scanlan Fri, 12/27/2019 - 06:45

ArcherPoint Dynamics NAV / Business Central Developer Digest - vol 273 

ArcherPoint Dynamics NAV and BC Developer Digest BlogThe NAV community, including the ArcherPoint technical staff, is made up of developers, project managers, and consultants who are constantly communicating, with the common goal of  sharing helpful information with one another to help customers be more successful.

As they run into issues and questions, find the answers, and make new discoveries, they post them on blogs, forums, social media...so everyone can benefit. We in Marketing watch these interactions and never cease to be amazed by the creativity, dedication, and brainpower we’re so fortunate to have in this community—so we thought, wouldn’t it be great to share this great information with everyone who might not have the time to check out the multitude of resources out there? So, the ArcherPoint Microsoft Dynamics NAV Developer Digest was born. Each week, we present a collection of thoughts and findings from NAV experts and devotees around the world. We hope these insights will benefit you, too.

Table Text Field Length in Business Central - Better than a Blob

",serif">",sans-serif">Bill Warnke shares: “The maximum length of a table text field in Business Central, as noted in this document, ",sans-serif">Increased maximum length of text and code fields, variables, and text constants",sans-serif">, is 2048 characters. This is a little cleaner than dealing with a blob. ",sans-serif">It’s about this much: 

",sans-serif">posuere sollicitudin aliquam ultrices sagittis orci a scelerisque purus semper eget duis at tellus at urna condimentum mattis pellentesque id nibh tortor id aliquet lectus proin nibh nisl condimentum id venenatis a condimentum vitae sapien pellentesque habitant morbi tristique senectus et netus et malesuada fames ac turpis egestas sed tempus urna et pharetra pharetra massa massa ultricies mi quis hendrerit dolor magna eget est lorem ipsum dolor sit amet consectetur adipiscing elit pellentesque habitant morbi tristique senectus et netus et malesuada fames ac turpis egestas integer eget aliquet nibh praesent tristique magna sit amet purus gravida quis blandit turpis cursus in hac habitasse platea dictumst quisque sagittis purus sit amet volutpat consequat mauris nunc congue nisi vitae suscipit tellus mauris a diam maecenas sed enim ut sem viverra aliquet eget sit amet tellus cras adipiscing enim eu turpis egestas pretium aenean pharetra magna ac placerat vestibulum lectus mauris ultrices eros in cursus turpis massa tincidunt dui ut ornare lectus sit amet est placerat in egestas erat imperdiet sed euismod nisi porta lorem mollis aliquam ut porttitor leo a diam sollicitudin tempor id eu nisl nunc mi ipsum faucibus vitae aliquet nec ullamcorper sit amet risus nullam eget felis eget nunc lobortis mattis aliquam faucibus purus in massa tempor nec feugiat nisl pretium fusce id velit ut tortor pretium viverra suspendisse potenti nullam ac tortor vitae purus faucibus ornare suspendisse sed nisi lacus sed viverra tellus in hac habitasse platea dictumst vestibulum rhoncus est pellentesque elit ullamcorper dignissim cras tincidunt lobortis feugiat vivamus at augue eget arcu dictum varius duis at consectetur lorem donec massa sapien faucibus et molestie ac feugiat sed lectus vestibulum mattis ullamcorper velit sed ullamcorper morbi tincidunt ornare massa eget egestas purus viverra accumsan in nisl nisi scelerisque eu ultrices vitae auctor eu augue ut lectus arcu bibendum at varius vel pharetra vel turpis nunc eget lorem dolo

D365 Business Central: How to Extend Automated Log Off Time

",serif">",sans-serif">Gwendolynn is exasperated",sans-serif">: “Does anyone know how I can prevent Business Central from automatically logging me off? Or at least extend the amount of time it takes to do so? It's causing me HUGE issues.”

",serif">",sans-serif">Kyle commiserates: “I have been chasing this problem for months, and I'm not sure I have a good fix yet. We are testing this week, and I will report back at the end of the week. Suffice to say it is complicated since there are web-server timeouts as well as NST timeouts. I am answering from an on-premises perspective; I have no idea what sort of settings you can control if you are SaaS.

",serif">",sans-serif">Tom ",sans-serif">Marshello offers",sans-serif">: The SaaS version increased it to 2 hours for live tenants with BC 15, but that doesn't affect your Docker.” 

",serif">",sans-serif">Gwendolynn responds",sans-serif">: “Yeah, I've got BC 15 loaded, no Docker. ",sans-serif">Gotta",sans-serif"> go before I get logged out with a message pretending it was done as a courtesy to me.",sans-serif">”

",serif">",sans-serif">Kyle suggests: “These can probably be set with the admin tool, but all the cool nerds use P",sans-serif">owerShell",sans-serif">. Replace ",sans-serif">BCProd",sans-serif"> with whatever your instance name is: 

",serif">",sans-serif">Set-",sans-serif">NAVServerConfiguration ",sans-serif">BCProd",sans-serif"> -",sans-serif">KeyName ",sans-serif">ClientServicesKeepAliveInterval",sans-serif"> -",sans-serif">KeyValue",sans-serif"> "00:00:15" Set-",sans-serif">NAVServerConfiguration ",sans-serif">BCProd",sans-serif"> -",sans-serif">KeyName ",sans-serif">ClientServicesIdleClientTimeout",sans-serif"> -",sans-serif">KeyValue",sans-serif"> "00:20:00" 

",serif">",sans-serif">Set-",sans-serif">NAVServerConfiguration ",sans-serif">BCProd",sans-serif"> -",sans-serif">KeyName ",sans-serif">NavHttpClientMaxTimeout",sans-serif"> -",sans-serif">KeyValue",sans-serif"> "00:20:00" Set-",sans-serif">NAVServerConfiguration ",sans-serif">BCProd",sans-serif"> -",sans-serif">KeyName ",sans-serif">SqlConnectionIdleTimeout",sans-serif"> -",sans-serif">KeyValue",sans-serif"> "00:20:00" 

",serif">",sans-serif">Set-",sans-serif">NAVWebServerInstanceConfiguration",sans-serif"> -",sans-serif">WebServerInstance ",sans-serif">BCProd",sans-serif"> -",sans-serif">KeyName ",sans-serif">SessionTimeout",sans-serif"> -",sans-serif">KeyValue",sans-serif"> "00:20:00" 

",serif">",sans-serif">Kyle asks: “Tom",sans-serif">, in SaaS can you control any of the Service Tier settings?”

",serif">",sans-serif">Tom responds: “No sir.”

Code Annotations in AL: Don't Do It!!

",serif">",sans-serif">In this compelling Vjeko post, ",sans-serif">Code Annotation in AL – Please, Don’t!",sans-serif">, you will learn the history of why code annotations were necessary in the olden days of Navision and NAV, and why you should never, ever do it in Business Central. Great read!

Voice Your Opinion

Don’t forget to share your opinions and ideas for improvement to Dynamics 365 Business Central via the Microsoft Experience Product Improvement Suggestion site.

If you are interested in Dynamics NAV and Business Central development, be sure to see our collection of NAV/BC Development Blogs.

Read the "How To" blogs from ArcherPoint for practical advice on using Microsoft Dynamics NAV and Dynamics 365 Business Central.

Blog tags