SBX - Forum Post Title

Unhide "Departments" button in Navigation Pane

Microsoft Dynamics NAV Forum

Andrea Nardiello asked a question on 12 May 2015 3:34 AM
My Badges

Question Status

Suggested Answer

Good morning everybody,

I have a question which is unanswered since I have been using Microsoft Dynamics NAV.

When you are configuring profiles, one of the first things you do is hiding "Departments" button in Navigation Pane, so that only the buttons/lists you define can be seen from the user of the specific profile.

But once you remove it, if you want to add something new, the only way to put "Departments" back is to restore defaults of the Navigation Pane, losing all the customizations of the Role Center.

Is this really the only way to do it?

Waiting for your kind replies.

Thank you very much! You all are great!

Philipus responded on 30 Oct 2017 10:17 PM

anyone know the solution for this issue?

I know a workaround to this mater, but a bit to much work in my opinion.

In my workaround, I must have a Development database. I would do all the configuration in the development database and 'never' remove the department menu. When I'm finish the configuration, export the profile, then import the profile to Live Database. In the live database, I configure again just to remove the Department menu.

This behavior is seems still persist in the current NAV 2017. So, any better solution or workaround?

Ammolh Saallvi responded on 30 Oct 2017 11:04 PM
My Badges
Suggested Answer

You can use configuration mode to hide and unhide the department menu

msdn.microsoft.com/.../dd354992(v=nav.90).aspx

Philipus responded on 31 Oct 2017 5:44 AM

Thanks for the information sir.

I'm aware of the configuration mode. But the question is (not only in configuration mode), how can I unhide the Department menu, without reset everything I've done (personalization) in the navigation pane?

Regards,

Philipus

Paul Simpson responded on 31 Oct 2017 7:49 AM
My Badges
Suggested Answer

This frustrates me too.

We had to hide Departments menu because with Expected Cost Posting turned on a number of users need greater permissions to read, insert and modify G/L Account and G/L Entry tables than should really have been necessary.  That meant with Departments menu those users could navigate to very sensitive areas of NAV and even potentially cause quite serious problems.

I raised the query with Microsoft through my NAV partner and they did respond saying it is possible to edit the profile XML file but that would be "unsupported."  If you've even glanced at the profile XML files you'll appreciate why that for me was a non-starter, especially after they use the word, "unsupported."

My solution, I'm afraid is develop the profiles in the test database, export them, import into live database (you have to delete the old version first as it won't overwrite - at least in NAV 2013 R2) and then remove the Departments menu from live.

From my point of view, I have managed to get permissions to those tables added to (hopefully) all the relevant Codeunits so should now be able to let people have the Departments menu, knowing permissions will (or at least should) prevent them getting to areas for which they're not cleared.  Those who do need to post shipments, etc.,, affecting G/L can get by with just Indirect permissions now.

Sorry it may not be very much help, depending on your reason for removing "Departments" and is no doubt not what you wanted to hear.  If anyone knows better I'd still be keen to hear it too.

P.S.  I think most people leave Departments there, to be honest - in fact, the basic role centre training guide pretty much encourages all users to configure everything about the role centre to suit their individual needs.  If we didn't use Expected Cost Posting, I would never have needed to remove it in our environment as permissions would have sufficed.

Philipus responded on 31 Oct 2017 8:53 PM

Paul, I believe this is the best workaround so far. I'd do the same to.

I've been doing my research on the profile xml file to. export the same profile with and without modification, then compare both using text comparing tools. it seems possible to do manual trial and error editing the profile xml, then import it to test if it works. From this point, my target is only to Unhide the Department menu. Any other customization, I'd prefer using the configuration using NAV Client.

Cheers.

Manish Sharma responded on 1 Nov 2017 12:12 AM
My Badges

Why not use the standard role center page with super permission.

Andrea Nardiello responded on 3 Nov 2017 10:24 AM
My Badges

I tried with Scooter Beyond to compare XML with Departments and XML without Departments.

There is a very big piece of text missing in the second XML but there are also other lines which are not the same between the two files.

Too hard to understand the code.

I think that one should use two environments (dev and prod) in order not to lose Departments and risk to start user personalization from scratch.

Maneesha De Silva responded on 7 Nov 2017 1:06 AM
My Badges
Suggested Answer

yep this is very known issue but its applicable as a feature

for you best way is you can create a new few role centers and do your customization for that

but other thing is what is the purpose of hiding department ???

even if you hide it users can access those programs via search bar

so your purpose to hide department as the reason of security , you should control via permissions

Paul Simpson responded on 7 Nov 2017 1:38 AM
My Badges

Actually, that's not correct. At least on NAV 2013 R2, once the Departments menu is removed anything not specifically included in the role centre is removed from search also.

Srinivasan R responded on 9 Feb 2018 8:06 PM

Hi,

After removing the department, it won't be available on search options. But one issue the user can restore the menus by using "Restore Default settings" which brings back the department.  Better to use the Permission set for the required functional roles.

if some can provide how to disable the Restore Default Settings option will take care of the requirement.

Philipus responded on 11 Feb 2018 9:14 PM

You can disable personalization from the Profile card. I also suggest you to use Configuration Mode while doing the changes to the navigation pane, so not only a user affected but all user that use the same profile (User Personalization Page).

Pranavi Kota responded on 5 Dec 2018 5:02 AM
Suggested Answer

You can add the "Departments" button in Navigation Page back without losing other customization by following process..

1. Export Profile to xml file using "Export Profiles" action in Profiles list.

2. find the  following node

"<Attribute value="Departments" name="ContainerType" uri="" />" in xml file and remove that line and save the xml file.

3. Delete the profile from Profile list in Nav

4. Import the edited profile using "Import Profiles" action from Profiles list.

this will add Departments back without losing other customizations.

Nabil BA-MOH responded on 11 Dec 2018 2:40 AM
My Badges
Suggested Answer

Hi,

I wrote a blog, a while ago, about this subject: navnab.com/.../how-to-remove-restore-departments-button

I hope this will help someone.

Andrea Nardiello responded on 11 Mar 2019 12:07 PM
My Badges

Unfortunately, this trick is not working.

I tried to export a modified and also a standard profile but I got no "Department" node in my XML.

I did this with NAV 2016, NAV 2017 and BC without success (Italian Version NAVIT).

Maybe with W1 or other localization the Export Profile XMLport is different?

Please let me know.

Regards.

Daniele Lixi responded on 15 Mar 2019 7:05 AM
Suggested Answer

I managed to make it work, the instruction from @Nabil BA-MOH pointed me in the right direction.

Here are the steps:

1. Export the profile with the hidden "Department" button using “Profiles => Import/Export” (ID 9170)

2. Open the exported profile (xml file) with your favorite text editor

3. Search for the value: Attribute value=”Departments”, you can also find it by ID {7AA351B2-CC3E-479f-9A0B-6BC0DD7A3158}

That's what it looks like:

&lt;add id="{7AA351B2-CC3E-479f-9A0B-6BC0DD7A3158}" destination="{6135288E-4232-4bd4-A595-CAD8F5D49D48}"&gt;
      &lt;Node name="Actions" uri="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:dynamics:NAV:MetaObjects" id="{7AA351B2-CC3E-479f-9A0B-6BC0DD7A3158}"&gt;
        &lt;Nodes /&gt;
        &lt;Attributes&gt;
          &lt;Attribute value="ActionContainerPlaceHolder" name="xsi:type" uri="www.w3.org/.../XMLSchema-instance" /&gt;
          &lt;Attribute value="{7AA351B2-CC3E-479f-9A0B-6BC0DD7A3158}" name="ControlGUID" uri="" /&gt;
          &lt;Attribute value="Departments" name="ContainerType" uri="" /&gt;
        &lt;/Attributes&gt;
      &lt;/Node&gt;
    &lt;/add&gt;

4. Select and delete the whole "add" node.

5. For good measure also delete the order node (I am not 100% sure that this is needed)

&lt;order id="{6135288E-4232-4bd4-A595-CAD8F5D49D48}" sequence="{5B86FE4D-D9D6-4dd4-831E-4EDE7B1AA32A}; {9C26C298-C800-48dc-857F-9702F9CB017C}; {7AA351B2-CC3E-479f-9A0B-6BC0DD7A3158}" /&gt;

5. Save the modified xml file.

6. Delete the previously exported profile from NAV

7. Import the modified xml file to NAV,

8. Check and enjoy your “restored” Departments button.

Hope this helps

Ammolh Saallvi responded on 30 Oct 2017 11:04 PM
My Badges
Suggested Answer

You can use configuration mode to hide and unhide the department menu

msdn.microsoft.com/.../dd354992(v=nav.90).aspx

Paul Simpson responded on 31 Oct 2017 7:49 AM
My Badges
Suggested Answer

This frustrates me too.

We had to hide Departments menu because with Expected Cost Posting turned on a number of users need greater permissions to read, insert and modify G/L Account and G/L Entry tables than should really have been necessary.  That meant with Departments menu those users could navigate to very sensitive areas of NAV and even potentially cause quite serious problems.

I raised the query with Microsoft through my NAV partner and they did respond saying it is possible to edit the profile XML file but that would be "unsupported."  If you've even glanced at the profile XML files you'll appreciate why that for me was a non-starter, especially after they use the word, "unsupported."

My solution, I'm afraid is develop the profiles in the test database, export them, import into live database (you have to delete the old version first as it won't overwrite - at least in NAV 2013 R2) and then remove the Departments menu from live.

From my point of view, I have managed to get permissions to those tables added to (hopefully) all the relevant Codeunits so should now be able to let people have the Departments menu, knowing permissions will (or at least should) prevent them getting to areas for which they're not cleared.  Those who do need to post shipments, etc.,, affecting G/L can get by with just Indirect permissions now.

Sorry it may not be very much help, depending on your reason for removing "Departments" and is no doubt not what you wanted to hear.  If anyone knows better I'd still be keen to hear it too.

P.S.  I think most people leave Departments there, to be honest - in fact, the basic role centre training guide pretty much encourages all users to configure everything about the role centre to suit their individual needs.  If we didn't use Expected Cost Posting, I would never have needed to remove it in our environment as permissions would have sufficed.

Maneesha De Silva responded on 7 Nov 2017 1:06 AM
My Badges
Suggested Answer

yep this is very known issue but its applicable as a feature

for you best way is you can create a new few role centers and do your customization for that

but other thing is what is the purpose of hiding department ???

even if you hide it users can access those programs via search bar

so your purpose to hide department as the reason of security , you should control via permissions

Pranavi Kota responded on 5 Dec 2018 5:02 AM
Suggested Answer

You can add the "Departments" button in Navigation Page back without losing other customization by following process..

1. Export Profile to xml file using "Export Profiles" action in Profiles list.

2. find the  following node

"<Attribute value="Departments" name="ContainerType" uri="" />" in xml file and remove that line and save the xml file.

3. Delete the profile from Profile list in Nav

4. Import the edited profile using "Import Profiles" action from Profiles list.

this will add Departments back without losing other customizations.

Nabil BA-MOH responded on 11 Dec 2018 2:40 AM
My Badges
Suggested Answer

Hi,

I wrote a blog, a while ago, about this subject: navnab.com/.../how-to-remove-restore-departments-button

I hope this will help someone.

Daniele Lixi responded on 15 Mar 2019 7:05 AM
Suggested Answer

I managed to make it work, the instruction from @Nabil BA-MOH pointed me in the right direction.

Here are the steps:

1. Export the profile with the hidden "Department" button using “Profiles => Import/Export” (ID 9170)

2. Open the exported profile (xml file) with your favorite text editor

3. Search for the value: Attribute value=”Departments”, you can also find it by ID {7AA351B2-CC3E-479f-9A0B-6BC0DD7A3158}

That's what it looks like:

&lt;add id="{7AA351B2-CC3E-479f-9A0B-6BC0DD7A3158}" destination="{6135288E-4232-4bd4-A595-CAD8F5D49D48}"&gt;
      &lt;Node name="Actions" uri="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:dynamics:NAV:MetaObjects" id="{7AA351B2-CC3E-479f-9A0B-6BC0DD7A3158}"&gt;
        &lt;Nodes /&gt;
        &lt;Attributes&gt;
          &lt;Attribute value="ActionContainerPlaceHolder" name="xsi:type" uri="www.w3.org/.../XMLSchema-instance" /&gt;
          &lt;Attribute value="{7AA351B2-CC3E-479f-9A0B-6BC0DD7A3158}" name="ControlGUID" uri="" /&gt;
          &lt;Attribute value="Departments" name="ContainerType" uri="" /&gt;
        &lt;/Attributes&gt;
      &lt;/Node&gt;
    &lt;/add&gt;

4. Select and delete the whole "add" node.

5. For good measure also delete the order node (I am not 100% sure that this is needed)

&lt;order id="{6135288E-4232-4bd4-A595-CAD8F5D49D48}" sequence="{5B86FE4D-D9D6-4dd4-831E-4EDE7B1AA32A}; {9C26C298-C800-48dc-857F-9702F9CB017C}; {7AA351B2-CC3E-479f-9A0B-6BC0DD7A3158}" /&gt;

5. Save the modified xml file.

6. Delete the previously exported profile from NAV

7. Import the modified xml file to NAV,

8. Check and enjoy your “restored” Departments button.

Hope this helps

SBX - Two Col Forum

SBX - Migrated JS