Navision 4.00 SP2 - installation on Windows 8.0

This question is answered

Hi

I have upgraded my computer to Windows 8.0 and can not run Navision, It's ok to install but can not run - HELP! 

Verified Answer
  • hi,

NAV 4.0 sp3 (with dedicated build for Windows 7) works also on windows 8 (this build is a porting from Nav 5 client dll); we try only with NAV Sql Server client, not native client.

The problem is that NAV 4.0 sp3 is patched for Windows 7 (not for windows 8 an windows is not present on OS compatibility list)... works but... you can have some unexpected problems using nav 4.0 sp3 on Windows 8 (performance, locking & deadlocking, timeouts etc. etc.)

The fast solution is the one suggested by Aleksandar:perform a NAV technical ugrade from 4.0 to 2009 R2

another :  use a virtual machine with windows_xp on windows8 (fast then a Windows 7 virtual machine)

------------------

Roberto Stefanetti

• Hi

Thank you very much for a most useful answer!

All Replies
  • You cannot use NAV4 with Windows 8. The best scenario is to make database technical upgrade to NAV2009.

• some time ago one of our customers change his server from W2000 to W2008 so we made a technical upgrade to NAV 4.03 and Works fine. we made these Little upgrade because the customer doesnt want to pay for a higher nav versiĆ³n besides he has to many developments. you can try this step and in another computer try to make the technical upgrade to nav 2009 as Aleksander say.

• You don't need NAV2009, but this is the best solution. NAV2009 has classic client and when you have to make upgrade, make it on the highest possible version. Tomorrow, you will get newer Windows and you will have problem again. Because I advise 2009. Otherwise, Francisco is in right.

Technical upgrade does not require a lot of work and it isn't expensive. I worked this upgrade (4->2009) few time and it isn't complex job.

• hi,

NAV 4.0 sp3 (with dedicated build for Windows 7) works also on windows 8 (this build is a porting from Nav 5 client dll); we try only with NAV Sql Server client, not native client.

The problem is that NAV 4.0 sp3 is patched for Windows 7 (not for windows 8 an windows is not present on OS compatibility list)... works but... you can have some unexpected problems using nav 4.0 sp3 on Windows 8 (performance, locking & deadlocking, timeouts etc. etc.)

The fast solution is the one suggested by Aleksandar:perform a NAV technical ugrade from 4.0 to 2009 R2

another :  use a virtual machine with windows_xp on windows8 (fast then a Windows 7 virtual machine)

------------------

Roberto Stefanetti

• Hi

Thank you very much for a most useful answer!