Question Status

Verified
DMV asked a question on 26 Mar 2014 1:26 PM

Good Afternoon-

I need a little advice on using Calc Plan.  I'm pretty sure I know what the system is doing but, it seems a bit off.  I feel I need an inventory pro here.  Here's my dilemma:

I am not using any manufacturing

My item is set with a Reorder Policy of Maximum Inv.

My reorder point is 2

My maximum inventory qty is 4

I currently have 2 on hand

I have no safety stock set

I have no lead time set

I have 1 on a sales order with a ship date of 4/1

I have a PO for 3 with an Expected Receipt Date of 4/14

When I run Calc Plan with the the start date of 4/7, it suggests I create a new order for 3 with the Due Date of 4/7.  Then, there is a second line with the Action Msg of Change Qty. with a Due Date of 4/14.  The quantity here is 1.

Obviously, it is saying that on 4/7 I won't have enough inventory to meet my max so, I should order 3 in order to do that.  It's the second line that is throwing me.

Wouldn't it make more sense for the second line to suggest that I cancel the existing PO instead of change the quantity to 1?  I'm at a bit of a loss as to why it is suggesting I change it to 1.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,

Diane

Verified Answer
Christiaan Osborne responded on 30 Mar 2014 7:44 PM

Hi Diane,

Could you detail which version of NAV you are running? Moreover, on the second line if you select Functions / Order Tracking / Untracked Quantity is something mentioned on the source field?

Unfortunately on running NAV 2009 SP1 (and 2013) I got the expected second line to be canceled as the pending purchase order for quantity 3 will bring inventory on hand above the maximum quantity level  (overflow level).The information with this line is "The projected inventory 7 is higher than the overflow level 4 on 4/14"

The overflow principle is new on 2009 SP1 and enhanced further on 2013. Best to review online help for further information about it.

With many changes to planning it is vital to know exactly which version you are running.

Best regards, Christiaan.

DMV responded on 31 Mar 2014 7:58 AM

Christiaan-

Thanks for the reply.   I didn't even know about that overflow principle so, I learned something new!  In using that, it led me to my problem.  I had a Minimum Qty of 1 set up so, apparently, if you have that it requires you to order something.

I removed that from my SKU card and when I re-ran the Calc Plan, it came up with the Cancellation.

Appreciate your time!

Thanks,

Diane

Christiaan Osborne responded on 31 Mar 2014 4:03 PM

Hi Diana,

You are welcome. Good to hear it resolved the issue you experienced.

Christiaan.

Verified Answer
Christiaan Osborne responded on 30 Mar 2014 7:44 PM

Hi Diane,

Could you detail which version of NAV you are running? Moreover, on the second line if you select Functions / Order Tracking / Untracked Quantity is something mentioned on the source field?

Unfortunately on running NAV 2009 SP1 (and 2013) I got the expected second line to be canceled as the pending purchase order for quantity 3 will bring inventory on hand above the maximum quantity level  (overflow level).The information with this line is "The projected inventory 7 is higher than the overflow level 4 on 4/14"

The overflow principle is new on 2009 SP1 and enhanced further on 2013. Best to review online help for further information about it.

With many changes to planning it is vital to know exactly which version you are running.

Best regards, Christiaan.