Upgrade SL 2011 FP1 to SL 2015 CU2

Question Status

Unanswered
Bill Bowling asked a question on 30 Apr 2018 10:42 AM

We have always paid an outside company to do our SL upgrades but the last estimate was over 20K. We are currently using SL2011 FP1 and what to upgrade to SL2015CU2, Management Reporter 2012 CU16 and MaxQ Laser Checks. We want to move it to a new server running Microsoft Server 2016 and SQL2016.  Is the upgrade that hard? I have been a MCSE and Network Admin for 20 years.  We are a very small company with only four people in accounting. We do have Microsoft SL support. Is it that hard to do this upgrade? If it is that hard, can someone give me a company that can do this in the Atlanta, GA area?  The estimate was  from SIS.  

Thanks.

Bill

Milton Fry responded on 1 May 2018 9:08 AM

The MS portion of the upgrade it very straight forward.  MaxQ is also not an issue so log as you are current on maintenance. The number of databases, program, screen, and report customizations is where the cost may come from. We do most of our upgrades remotely so no onsite time required.  With your skill set I'm sure you can handle the client portion of the upgrade.  If limited customizations I'd say the upgrade you are describing should be less than 1/2 of what you were quoted.  Our last quote was for $1,200 for a simple 1 database upgrade ...

Bill Bowling responded on 1 May 2018 10:50 AM

Thanks everyone for the info. I think I am going to do all the software install and the database upgrade. I am sure I will need help on the reports, etc.

Bill

Chuck Otis responded on 3 May 2018 11:18 AM

Just make sure you take good backups along the way.  Data mining is the key.  All other issues can be fixed pretty easily.

Bill Bowling responded on 15 May 2018 2:38 PM

I have a new Server 2016 VMware Host Server with SQL2016 already installed.  I am looking for a company to perform the upgrades on a new server.

Thanks.

Bill