SBX - Search With Button

SBX - Forum Post Title

Upgrade Dynamics SL 2011 from SP1 to FP1 and then SP3

Microsoft Dynamics SL Forum

mvalpreda asked a question on 12 Jun 2019 11:29 AM

Question Status

Unanswered

Helping a customer that is on Dynamics SL 2011 SP1. The server it runs on is 2008 R2 and they are nearly 100% Windows 10 clients. Clients are crashing multiple times a day just in the middle of using Dynamics SL, so I'd like to get them to the latest version. The Dynamics consultant was able to download FP1 and SP3 for me. It is as simple as doing the FP1 install on the server, then the SP3 install?

Assume that after that I will need to run the FP1 and then SP3 on the clients.

I do have good backups of both the server and workstations! :)

Brian_IL responded on 12 Jun 2019 1:44 PM
My Badges

This would be a 2 step upgrade. SL2011 fp1 rolled up the SL installation + all changes as of the patch release date, while sp3 only includes changes since fp1.

mvalpreda responded on 12 Jun 2019 3:29 PM

That is pretty much what I figured and guess I didn't articulate that very well. It should just be an in-place upgrade correct?

Does FP1 include Management Reporter?

Brian_IL responded on 12 Jun 2019 3:49 PM
My Badges

Choosing an in-place upgrade vs. upgrading a copy of the DB is a matter of preference. Since they are already running SL2011, I'd be comfortable with updating the current setup to the latest sp (server 1st, then clients).

SL2011 works with MR but is separate, just like the FRx financial report writer was a separate download & install.

mvalpreda responded on 12 Jun 2019 3:52 PM

Thanks for that. Is MR on the Customer Source website? Guess they use that, but not sure what that upgrade/install looks like. Or if I need to do anything with MR when going from 2011 SP1 to FP1 to SP3.

Brian_IL responded on 12 Jun 2019 4:55 PM
My Badges

Customersource has ManagementReporter2012 as a self extracting download, cu16 is the latest release. The extracted file MRLaunch.exe gives a menu of the programs to install. Separate downloads of Access runtime and MR Documentation are available, the installation guide explains when you'll need that. MR claims a lot of server resources, older SL installations may not have enough to run MR at an acceptable speed. The MR installation shouldn't care which SL2011 sp is installed or when it is installed - probably test MR after upgrading SL, to avoid mixing 2 projects.

mvalpreda responded on 12 Jun 2019 5:00 PM

So I should not have to worry about MR if I am doing an SP1->FP1->SP3 upgrade?

SBX - Two Col Forum

SBX - Migrated JS