Question Status

Unanswered
Mark E asked a question on 26 Mar 2014 8:51 AM

In SL2011FP1, when you enter a fixed amount PR deduction in the EE Maintenance/Deductions tab for a negative amount (e.g. Auto Allowance/Reimbursement), the calculation process ignores it and presents it as zero.  Has anyone tried to process a negative PR deduction?  We can override it in the Review/Edit Check screen, but want them to appear as part of the calculation process.

Also, client/accountant does not want them to appear as non-taxable earnings.

If the PR module is not designed to allow this, I will have to write custom DB update triggers to get it to work.

Thanks.

Rick Kerns responded on 26 Mar 2014 9:21 AM

Your observation is 100% correct.  while SL will let you enter a negative deduction amount, it will not process it during the calculation.  It has been this way since the beginning of Solomon.  I have been after them to change this for years with no luck.  Being able to enter a negative deduction and have it process it is, by far, the best way to handle section 125 (pre-tax) deduction refunds but, unfortunately, they do not seem to see it that way.

while you did not indicate what kind of deduction you are trying to make negative, I am thinking you might be talking about a section 125 type deduction.  If you have to deal with refunding a section 125 deduction then what you can do is set up a new earnings type flagging it as non-wage earnings so that it does not contribute to W2 and 941 reporting but it will figure into the earning subject to for the various deductions that were affected by it being taken in the first place..  You then add that earnings type under the various deductions like FICA, FWT, etc. that were reduced by the pre-tax amount so that those taxes are calculated on this new earnings.  You should make sure that this new earnings type is not listed under any of the deductions that do not apply to it nor under any of the benefits.  Then, to refund a section 125 deduction, use this earnings type to pay back the section 125 deduction.

Mark E responded on 26 Mar 2014 9:29 AM

Rick,

In my case, we are not dealing with Sec 125, but a simple bi-weekly, recurring Auto Allowance reimbursement that gets adjusted (reconciled) when EE's submit their expense/travel reports.  If the PR module cannot perform this function out of the box, then I will have to develop custom db update triggers that adjust the deduction amounts when the calculations are performed.

Thanks for confirming what I am seeing in the base functionality.