There is less which annoys me more than spending time for unefficient tasks. So I'm always looking for ways to improve my efficiency when working in D365 CE projects. In this article I describe my usage of Chrome browser in conjunction with some extensions which helps me to do more in the same time.

Chrome browser profiles

I usually work on several D365 projects at the same time so I need to switch regularly between different customer O365 tenants and our company tenant as well as demo tenants. Many consultants use things like incognito mode of a browser or use a different browser to be able to login to different O365 tenants at the same time.

Here a hint which seems to be often overseen: Everything You Need to Know About Google Chrome’s Profile Switcher

The article describes very well how to use Chrome profiles.

Advantages when working in D365 projects:

• You can open different O365 tenants in parallel
  • Switching to a customer tenant was never easier. Chrome can reopen the last used tabs so you do not need to open everything again.
  • Own project specific favorites, cookies, cache and Chrome extensions

When working this way you need to keep in mind that you need to install your favorite Chrome extensions for each Chrome profile again as a profile is like an own browser instance.

Must have Chrome extensions

After setting up the Chrome browser profiles for the different O365 tenants you should consider installing the following Chrome extensions I never want to miss.

LevelUp

I thought everybody would already use it but this was an error. Each of the action items delivered with LevelUp provides a shortcut for often required doings in D365. You can visualize the logical names of form attributes within an opened form in the application without navigating to the customization user interface. I love the "Record Id" shortcut as it copies immediately the recordid of the current record. When developing new features for business processes you often need to see hidden fields or need to manipulate locked fields. "God Mode" is your shortcut for this purpose.

Attention: The shortcuts simply execute Javascript on the current D365 page. In general every user could also install this extension and manipulate D365 the same way. Do not tell every CRM user about it but your developers, consultants and administrators will love it.

Clear Cache

Especially during development you often need to clear your browser cache to ensure the latest developments are used in the application. This is even more important when working with Unified Client Interface (UCI) in D365 v9 as it seems to cache much more than before.

I prefer a single click tool for clearing the defined cache items. Here I prefer using Clear Cache with the setting shown in the screenshot below. 

ModHeader

How often are you facing issues where a user is complaining that a certain process is not working for him or he cannot see certain data in D365 but you are not able to reproduce it? You could request screenshots or screen captures from the user or arranging a web session for analyzes. I like the possibility to see the application with the eyes of the user.

The gif below shows the result when activating the ModHeader extension. You are impersonating the other user and can analyze and reproduce application behaviors without knowing the user credentials.

(click on the gif to open it in fullscreen so that the animation is shown)

Requirements:

• you need the systemuserid of the user to be impersonated (use LevelUp to retrieve it easily)
  • you need the privilege to "ActOnBehalfOfAnotherUser"

How to enable:

• add a request header as follows
  • Name = MSCRMCallerId
  • Value = #systemuserid#

• enable the modified header and clear the cache

Limitations:

• It works in UCI only. It is not possible to impersonate this way in Refreshed UI.

Simulate mobile devices

The last part of this article is not an extension but provided with Chrome Dev Tools.

Especially with the introduction of UCI in D365 v9 we need to take care much more on the application behavior in different screen size than before. We only have to customize the forms and views etc. once and we can use them in the Browser, on tablet apps and smartphone apps immediately.

Again I do not want spend too much time when testing the different screen sizes. Therefore I enable the Chrome Dev Tools and then toggle the device bar as shown below. You can even select a device preset.

Please consider that you can only simulate mobile devices. It will never replace testing on real devices but it can significantly increase your efficiency when customizing and testing processes for different screen sizes.

(click to see the animated gif)

(click on the gif to open it in fullscreen so that the animation is shown)