Most people like to keep their personal social media separate from their professional life, but Yammer is a social network that is encouraged in the workplace.   Restricted by company domain, Yammer allows for collaboration on projects, sharing files, and even allows you to give praise to someone within your organization. Microsoft acquired Yammer in 2012 and it will be interesting to see if they add any enhancements to the site, which already functions well.

Here is a great article about Yammer and how it works.

What I like about Yammer:

• It is a great for companies with offices all over the country or global offices.
  • It is easy to use, simple layout, and it does what it needs to do.
  • Allows for social media separation between your personal and professional life.
  • Sub-groups can easily be created for departments within the company (i.e. Sales, Marketing, Finance, Various Management groups/levels, etc.), and then invitations can be sent to staff to join groups.
  • Available on Desktop and ALL smart phones (iPhone, Android, Window’s Phone, and Blackberry)
  • Tagging Conversations- it is great when you can identify past conversations by tagging them with editable, metafile topics- however, finding these topics again is difficult. Under the “apps” tab, you can find the Topics App; when you click on the App, a page with a list of topics will generate.

What I would like to see improved:

• The ability to add the “Apps” to your home page so you can easily find the topics that you want to follow.
  • While there is the ability to store files on the site, only 1G of memory is free.  Depending on size, a contributors could easily use up this space within a day.  Premium packages are available for a fee, but it may save a headache by saving files to your SharePoint server and just sharing the link to the file in a Yammer conversation.

Overall, Yammer is a great idea and a great tool for businesses who rely on all-company and/or small working group collaboration.