SBX - Search With Button

SBX - Forum Post Title

Using CRM On-premise with Logic Apps

Microsoft Dynamics CRM Forum

Allison Walters asked a question on 28 Nov 2017 8:19 PM
My Badges

Question Status

Verified

I'm playing around with Logic Apps, and since it has connectors for a number of services we use, I'm interested in how we can integrate it with CRM - but as we're on-prem, nothing is ever as straightforward as it seems.

There's a Dynamics 365 Connector, and since our server is IFD enabled, I was hoping I'd be able to give it the URL.  However, there's no way to put in a URL - it just goes to Online.

So I tried adding in a Custom Connector, but it wants a Swagger file or Postman collection.  Does anyone know if this exists for CRM or if there's any way to generate it somehow?

Is there any other way of getting this working that I've missed, short of directly connecting to the SQL database?  *shudder*  I was at a Dynamics conference yesterday, and was told by one of the presenters that I should be able to use Flow/Powerapps/etc with on-prem as long as it was IFD enabled, but I'm really missing how to make that work.

Aric Levin responded on 28 Nov 2017 8:25 PM

Hi Allison,

As you mention there is a connector for Logic Apps and Dynamics 365 (Online).

I was looking at the following documentation:

docs.microsoft.com/.../logic-apps-gateway-connection

which allows connecting Azure Logic Apps to On Premise data sources, but Dynamics CRM is not there.

I am not aware of anything out of the box for connection to Dynamics On-Prem. Possibly via BizTalk, or as you mention SQL Server (which will be read only).

Hopefully sometime in the near future.

Allison Walters responded on 28 Nov 2017 8:28 PM
My Badges

Theoretically we should be able to do it via the web API, but I need a definition file.  I could just give the base API URL and write all my own definitions that just call Web API URLs, it looks like, but that seems really unnecessary.  All of the definitions clearly exist somewhere, since they're (at least, most of them if not all?) the same for Online.  Just wish I knew how to find them...:-(

Allison Walters responded on 5 Dec 2017 7:55 PM
My Badges

So interestingly, I just found this page of features for online vs on-prem, and it says this:

Dynamics 365 Connector Updates for Power App and Flow

Both

(from: https://technet.microsoft.com/library/mt812192.aspx )

So this certainly implies there should be a connector...still haven't found an option for it, though.  I've looked through Dynamics 365 itself, in case the entry point is there rather than through PowerApps, but can't find anything on that end either (we are on 8.2, so if it was introduced in 365 like the page says, we should be good to go).

Martijn Eikelenboom responded on 12 Dec 2017 3:13 AM
My Badges

I'm guessing that you can connect with onpremises if you are able to authenticate with oauth to your CRM api's. Afaik this is support with the latest version of Windows Server and ADFS.

There are options to connection your logic apps with you onprem envrionment using Gateways (and I think VPN's), but the OOTB connecter requires oauth authentication no matter if you are using a gateway or not.

Allison Walters responded on 12 Dec 2017 11:49 AM
My Badges

"I'm guessing that you can connect with onpremises if you are able to authenticate with oauth to your CRM api's"

We can.  But I see no option in the connectors to give our internal URL to in order to even attempt this; that's the issue.  The gateway option connects directly to SQL, AFAIK, and so would only be supported for read-only (which isn't what we're looking for).

Allison Walters responded on 1 Mar 2018 5:31 PM
My Badges
Verified Answer

Just found out that this is on the ideas site as a suggestion, and currently is in the Planned status.  So hopefully soon!

Link for anyone who would like to vote/follow:

powerusers.microsoft.com/.../18733

jphuebner responded on 8 Jun 2018 11:29 AM
Suggested Answer

Hi Allison,

You can set up a Flow with the "HTTP with Azure AD - Invoke an HTTP Request" connector over the Data Gateway. Just check the Gateway box in the connector during setup. Make sure you test any firewall access between your on-prem servers as applicable. Test each component separately. Finally, if your connection is mis-configured, you can edit as necessary in PowerApps "Connections".

Stefan Strube responded on 4 Nov 2018 5:25 PM
My Badges

Hi JP,

Could you please describe/show an example of how you configured the connection and the action Invoke an HTTP Request ?

Thanks.

Allison Walters responded on 7 Nov 2018 6:06 PM
My Badges

Yeah - I was never able to parse that and figure out anything to try.  Got busy with other things.  If anyone has an example, that'd be awesome.

Hari Ankasala responded on 7 Jan 2019 10:15 AM
My Badges

I'm also looking for the similar kind of issue... My Dynamic 365 was hosted in virtual Machine which is in azure(nothing but on premise) .

Now i want access the Dynamics 365 webapi using logic app from azure.. by creating a new  Webapi.. Can you any one suggest me how to achieve my requirement..

Allison Walters responded on 1 Mar 2018 5:31 PM
My Badges
Verified Answer

Just found out that this is on the ideas site as a suggestion, and currently is in the Planned status.  So hopefully soon!

Link for anyone who would like to vote/follow:

powerusers.microsoft.com/.../18733

jphuebner responded on 8 Jun 2018 11:29 AM
Suggested Answer

Hi Allison,

You can set up a Flow with the "HTTP with Azure AD - Invoke an HTTP Request" connector over the Data Gateway. Just check the Gateway box in the connector during setup. Make sure you test any firewall access between your on-prem servers as applicable. Test each component separately. Finally, if your connection is mis-configured, you can edit as necessary in PowerApps "Connections".

SBX - Two Col Forum

SBX - Migrated JS