Don't upgrade to Dynamics 365 Version 9.0 if you are on 8.2 - A number of things will fail.

Question Status

Unanswered
Saif Ehsan asked a question on 2 Mar 2018 5:50 PM

It seems like an upgrade from 8.2 to 9.0 of Dynamics 365 will cause the following:

1. The field service solution upgrade to fail: Confirmed by Microsoft that this is a server side bug during the upgrade and they are working on it. It is not as simple as a hot fix and they will probably take a little time to sort this one out.

Solution: Awaiting DYN365 Technical Support response.

2. Some of the ribbon buttons might stop working (Important ones like Qualify, Add Product) - this is different for different instances.

Solution: Awaiting DYN365 Technical Support response.

3. Some entities will not create at all (unexpected errors) (I have seen the Quotes entity so far throwing this).

Solution: Awaiting DYN365 Technical Support response.

4. Some other issues reported by clients:

A. Field security broken on one field which was no longer listed under Field Security Profiles (& could not disable it either as it said I don't have sufficient premissions-> Sys Admin role)

B. Unable to open Documents from entities

C. ClientUtility not found script error in SalesHub

D. Customisation of any App generates error and can't edit it

A fresh install of V9.0 on the other hand can result in:

1. Unable to add workflow to the Order Line entity - so avoiding the use of the order line entity in your customisations is smart. 

Solution (requires raising a ticket with Microsoft): Microsoft says that this has been fixed by an update, the fresh install of the Organisation version: 9.0.1.425 and SG Version: 9.0.1.510 (Scale Group) are not the same. We assumed that the issue will be fixed in Org Version: 9.0.1.459 so I raised a ticket with Microsoft to upgrade the Organisation version to match with the SG version. This should fix the problem above.

I am still looking for answers to the above. I saw some posts that are similar like this one https://community.dynamics.com/crm/f/117/t/270561 and I hope we can get a fix soon.

Reply
VForward responded on 4 Mar 2018 4:58 PM

I am interested to find out if you had a resolution to this issue. I am on v8.2 and looking to upgrade to v9. We use Field Services, which is a worry given the experience you had had.

Reply
Saif Ehsan responded on 5 Mar 2018 9:06 PM

I am updating the post when I get a solution to each of the problems or when I find more issues. So I guess stay tuned? Lol

Reply
Laco Vosika responded on 5 Mar 2018 9:13 PM

I wish I read your post a week ago

So far

- Field Security broken (now fixed)

- Unable to open documents on document enabled entities

- Close Lost/Won buttons don't work on Opportunity

- few other minor ones

Reply
Saif Ehsan responded on 5 Mar 2018 9:37 PM

Tell me about it! It is so frustrating to have to wait for the tickets. There a few work arounds you can do (workflows or batch edit jobs) to solve the problems you have I guess? Good luck!

Reply
Erik T. responded on 6 Mar 2018 3:40 AM

It's a shame -- the new interface is far superior to pre-9.0. We have a big client starting on 9.0 and things have been smooth so far (and we've been customizing it heavily). I do agree caution is warranted in upgrading from a previous version though.

Reply
Saif Ehsan responded on 6 Mar 2018 3:55 AM

Oh Yeah, Version 9.0 is the way, it is awesome. If you are starting fresh it is perfect. Many new ways to customise too, very cool. It's more the updates etc, especially if the customisations were done by an inexperienced developer/customised, everything just falls a part lol

Reply
Torgeir Lognvik responded on 9 Mar 2018 1:17 AM

I'm also very interested in finding out when there is a solution to this. I'm not exactly looked upon favorably after upgrading:(

Reply
Saif Ehsan responded on 9 Mar 2018 2:10 AM

Tell me about it. Find workarounds to get the work done for now and raise tickets and wait.

It is Microsoft's fault. Not yours!

Reply
Torgeir Lognvik responded on 21 Mar 2018 5:23 PM

I got my crm working. The problem appears to be a non-active plugin: Microsoft Dynamics Integration Adapters CRM2011.

1. Navigate to your customize solution

2. Navigate to SDK-something (I’m above Thailand as I write, so pardon inaccurate naming)

3. Activate filter

4. Search for “beginning with”: Microsoft.Dynamics. Integration

5. I find 13 results like: “Create of contact” and “Update of contact”

6. I deactivated “Create of contact” and published it. NOW I CAN CREATE CONTACTS!!!

7. Then I deactivated the 12 others and it works!!!

It works for me, but I have no idea if this works for you though. It was solved by Microsoft support in my case.

Reply