SBX - Search With Button

SBX - Forum Post Title

Don't upgrade to Dynamics 365 Version 9.0 if you are on 8.2 - A number of things will fail.

Microsoft Dynamics CRM Forum

Saif Ehsan asked a question on 2 Mar 2018 5:50 PM
My Badges

Question Status

Suggested Answer

It seems like an upgrade from 8.2 to 9.0 of Dynamics 365 will cause the following:

1. [SOLVED] The field service solution upgrade will fail causing major failures in many core functionalities.

Solution: MS Support runs mitigation scripts on your instance DB to resolve this issue. 

2. [SOLVED] Some of the ribbon buttons might stop working (Important ones like Qualify, Add Product) - this is different for different instances.

Solution: This appeared to be a version 9.0 bug with earlier releases and the current releases seem to report no issues. We hope this continues to be the case moving forward. A move from 8.2 to 9.0 should no longer cause this failure.

3. Some entities will not create at all (unexpected errors) (I have seen the Quotes entity so far throwing this).

Solution: Still not sure if this is something that will happen or not when you upgrade, some instances report this and some don't.

4. Some other issues reported by clients:

A. Field security broken on one field which was no longer listed under Field Security Profiles (& could not disable it either as it said I don't have sufficient premissions-> Sys Admin role)

B. [SOLVED] Unable to open Documents from entities. Solution: Again this was a bug in earlier releases and has been mitigated. Reply if you are still facing this, I've seen it solved for a few instances.

C. ClientUtility not found script error in SalesHub

D. Customisation of any App generates error and can't edit it

Reported by members

5. At least one of our custom entities can't be created via a subgrid. Creating the child entity first and then setting the parent lookup works OK, but when using the new button on a subgrid or associated view results in an error "Invalid Argument: System.ArgumentNullException: Value cannot be null." This is thrown by an internal CRM method: Microsoft.Crm.Metadata.ServerDynamicMetadataCache.TryGetEntity(String entityName, NameMappingType mapping)  The parameter entityName is the one that is null. Before anyone asks, there are no custom plugins or workflows in play. This worked fine in V8.2 and was broken as soon as the v9 upgrade was completed.

Update: no response from Support in 9 days!!! That's right 9 days after upgrading our production instance, and raising a ticket to support, I've still had no response. I can see the ticket in O365 Admin, but no response.

6. Organization Insights - interactive dashboard is broken in V9. For us the whole dashboard failed to load (spinning icon). After uninstalling and re-installing the Org Insights solution the dashboard loads, but the calendar controls are broken, so you can't filter anything by date range. 

Update: response after 5 days.... Support are aware of the issue and they say the Product Team are aware. They also recommended I enter a suggestion in the ideas pages?! Errr.... I suggest the Product Team fixes it :). Support ticket closed. Back of the net!  "Thank you for choosing Microsoft, we hope you have a good day". Grrrr.

A fresh install of V9.0 on the other hand can result in:

1. [SOLVED] Unable to add workflow to the Order Line entity - so avoiding the use of the order line entity in your customisations is smart. 

Solution (requires raising a ticket with Microsoft): Microsoft says that this has been fixed by an update, the fresh install of the Organisation version: 9.0.1.425 and SG Version: 9.0.1.510 (Scale Group) are not the same. We assumed that the issue will be fixed in Org Version: 9.0.1.459 so I raised a ticket with Microsoft to upgrade the Organisation version to match with the SG version. This should fix the problem above.

Please contribute to this list or correct it if you have information on the latest upgrade issues. Some of the members here reported some of the issues above as well, so I will keep an eye on what they say. Do ask general questions here about upgrades.

VForward responded on 4 Mar 2018 4:58 PM

I am interested to find out if you had a resolution to this issue. I am on v8.2 and looking to upgrade to v9. We use Field Services, which is a worry given the experience you had had.

Saif Ehsan responded on 5 Mar 2018 9:06 PM
My Badges

I am updating the post when I get a solution to each of the problems or when I find more issues. So I guess stay tuned? Lol

Laco Vosika responded on 5 Mar 2018 9:13 PM
My Badges

I wish I read your post a week ago

So far

- Field Security broken (now fixed)

- Unable to open documents on document enabled entities

- Close Lost/Won buttons don't work on Opportunity

- few other minor ones

Saif Ehsan responded on 5 Mar 2018 9:37 PM
My Badges

Tell me about it! It is so frustrating to have to wait for the tickets. There a few work arounds you can do (workflows or batch edit jobs) to solve the problems you have I guess? Good luck!

Erik T. responded on 6 Mar 2018 3:40 AM
My Badges

It's a shame -- the new interface is far superior to pre-9.0. We have a big client starting on 9.0 and things have been smooth so far (and we've been customizing it heavily). I do agree caution is warranted in upgrading from a previous version though.

Saif Ehsan responded on 6 Mar 2018 3:55 AM
My Badges

Oh Yeah, Version 9.0 is the way, it is awesome. If you are starting fresh it is perfect. Many new ways to customise too, very cool. It's more the updates etc, especially if the customisations were done by an inexperienced developer/customised, everything just falls a part lol

Torgeir Lognvik responded on 9 Mar 2018 1:17 AM
My Badges

I'm also very interested in finding out when there is a solution to this. I'm not exactly looked upon favorably after upgrading:(

Saif Ehsan responded on 9 Mar 2018 2:10 AM
My Badges

Tell me about it. Find workarounds to get the work done for now and raise tickets and wait.

It is Microsoft's fault. Not yours!

Torgeir Lognvik responded on 21 Mar 2018 5:23 PM
My Badges

I got my crm working. The problem appears to be a non-active plugin: Microsoft Dynamics Integration Adapters CRM2011.

1. Navigate to your customize solution

2. Navigate to SDK-something (I’m above Thailand as I write, so pardon inaccurate naming)

3. Activate filter

4. Search for “beginning with”: Microsoft.Dynamics. Integration

5. I find 13 results like: “Create of contact” and “Update of contact”

6. I deactivated “Create of contact” and published it. NOW I CAN CREATE CONTACTS!!!

7. Then I deactivated the 12 others and it works!!!

It works for me, but I have no idea if this works for you though. It was solved by Microsoft support in my case.

PaulShore responded on 11 May 2018 11:12 AM
My Badges

I plan to go ahead with this upgrade but the critical part for me is Service Activities. I built my own scheduling subsytem around workflows to schedule. It relies heavily on the Service Activities entity. Will this be available in V9 and removed in v10 or is it already removed in 9.

My thinking is I want to be able to build out a replacement using Field Services in V9 but clearly I don't want my existing system to break, so I'm hoping I can access both in V.9

Saif Ehsan responded on 11 May 2018 1:49 PM
My Badges

Hi Paul,

What makes you think that Service Activities will be removed in version 10?

This shouldn't be affected by version 9.0. The universal scheduling should be good with the current version (9.0

2.54). What you should be worried about is Field Service. Do you currently have field service installed on your instance? If not, then an upgrade and a fresh install of Field Service should go just fine, if you do have Field service installed and you are sitting on version 6.0 for that, then an upgrade could cause you issues with the schedule board (current issue as of 12 May 2018 is not being able to load the schedule board after upgrade). Obviously this is not happening in every organisation instance, but we are aware of at least one organisation that has encountered this and it is still being resolved.

In other words, I would wait at least one or two weeks before upgrading. OR log a ticket and ask for a support instance yo create a full copy of your production, then perform the upgrade on that instance and do a thorough test (all buttons and core functionalities you use are working), then ask for the same to happen on your production once you verify it had succeeded in your test/support environment.

Good luck! Please let us know how you go and share your upgrades experience here to help the rest of us do smooth upgrades :-)

PaulShore responded on 14 May 2018 7:56 AM
My Badges

Hi UHS Logic,

No, I'm not currently using the Field Services addon. I read that Service Activities will be deprecated in V.9.

"Service Scheduling using the Service Activity is deprecated

Service Scheduling using the Service Activity should be replaced by Unified Resource Scheduling included with Dynamics 365 for Field Service."

From [ https://community.dynamics.com/crm/b/algrapsblog/archive/2018/01/18/what-s-being-deprecated-in-dynamics-365-version-9 ]

I guess it's only being deprecated so I shouldn't worry too much but I do want to transition away from something that's going to be broken in a few releases. I just want to know that the Service Activity entity will continue to work if and when I upgrade. It sounds like I will have no choice but to use Dynamics 365 for Field Service if I want Gannt charts in the future.

Edit: The Resource calendar and 'Service Activity' entities are my concern. I don't use scheduling per se. I use workflows that use the 'Service Activity' entity, party so I can get the Gantt chart in the Resource calendar.

Paul Dowman responded on 22 May 2018 8:24 AM
My Badges

I have another 2 to add to the list:

1. At least one of our custom entities can't be created via a subgrid. Creating the child entity first and then setting the parent lookup works OK, but when using the new button on a subgrid or associated view results in an error "Invalid Argument: System.ArgumentNullException: Value cannot be null." This is thrown by an internal CRM method: Microsoft.Crm.Metadata.ServerDynamicMetadataCache.TryGetEntity(String entityName, NameMappingType mapping)  The parameter entityName is the one that is null. Before anyone asks, there are no custom plugins or workflows in play. This worked fine in V8.2 and was broken as soon as the v9 upgrade was completed.

2. Organization Insights - interactive dashboard is broken in V9. For us the whole dashboard failed to load (spinning icon). After uninstalling and re-installing the Org Insights solution the dashboard loads, but the calendar controls are broken, so you can't filter anything by date range. 

Issue 1 - no response from Support in 9 days!!! That's right 9 days after upgrading our production instance, and raising a ticket to support, I've still had no response. I can see the ticket in O365 Admin, but no response.

Issue 2 - response after 5 days.... Support are aware of the issue and they say the Product Team are aware. They also recommended I enter a suggestion in the ideas pages?! Errr.... I suggest the Product Team fixes it :). Support ticket closed. Back of the net!  "Thank you for choosing Microsoft, we hope you have a good day". Grrrr. 

Mohammed S. Jamous responded on 27 May 2018 5:20 PM
My Badges

Hello All,

We have been of for two weeks now because of these issues and customer support are very slow and i' am a Microsoft Partner !!!!!

any workaround to solve these issues.

the system are unusable at all.

Torgeir Lognvik responded on 28 May 2018 1:30 AM
My Badges

Did you look at the NAV2011-connector AS described above?

Torgeir Lognvik responded on 6 Aug 2018 2:47 PM
My Badges
Suggested Answer

Easy… sit this update out. You can skip up to 2 updates… that means you can also skip the one the one that's due this fall if you choose to.

Raja responded on 29 Aug 2018 6:46 PM
Suggested Answer

Dear Community Members

According to Microsoft the “Field Security issue”, which seems to be fixed already on the current 9.0 version.

Regards,

Paul Dowman responded on 6 Sep 2018 11:53 AM
My Badges
Suggested Answer

Hi Andrew - eventually, yes I did. For us at least the issue was caused by the mappings in the 1:n relationship for the grid. The upgrade had corrupted them. There is a "generate mappings" button under the "more actions" link. Regenerating the mappings fixed the issue.

Customisations --> Customise the System --> Your Entity --> The 1:n relationship in question --> Mappings --> More Actions --> Generate Mappings.

SBX - Two Col Forum

SBX - Migrated JS